Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@jason2323 did you already purchase it?
If so, see if you can find a place with a good reputation for wire wheeling and POR15 or wool wax, and just drive it. IF the body really has no rust anywhere and the interior is immaculate, then just enjoy it with routine frame treatment.
Yes but could sell it to carmax for more-money than i paid but im going to keep for now. The PROS i took it to said the exact thing you are saying. Zero body rust, just undercarriage. Thanks again

Yes but could sell it to carmax for more-money than i paid but im going to keep for now. The PROS i took it to said the exact thing you are saying. Zero body rust, just undercarriage. Thanks again
good call. Have any pictures? I will say that if it came from Manhattan and has that many records from the dealer honestly the rust can be overlooked.

With the amount of rust on the undercarriage I can bet the rest of the car was not regularly washed during the winter months. The salt works its way into all of the doors, body panels, behind the side steps etc. I can guarantee the warm heat of Virginia will help speed up the body panel rust. I see plenty of 200's around this age with body panels bubbling.

With that being said I still think you got a good deal with the miles and overall condition. I have dealt with rust my entire life and it really just sucks... POR-15, fluid film in the doors and woolwax on the undercarriage will help tremendously. Trucks from the North head South to be resold to unsuspecting buyers, and clean Southern trucks head North where they fetch a premium.

Enjoy your LX, send it in a few years when used prices are hopefully even better!

Guess I should show you my 4R frame, looks about the same underneath…. Then you get above the spare and behind the rear bumper cover….scales just peeling off. Rest of the frame is “surface” but I have some nasty scaling up high where the PO never got under the truck. My front crossmember is also due for replacement soon. Rust kills these trucks more than anything else.

As to what happens to rusty “nice” trucks, we’ll there’s a 100 in CA that came from the NE and it’s been posted for sale a multiple times. I see the same rusted 100s sitting on lots around here. There’s at least 3 I could point to that have been on dealer lots for over a year. 200s will follow suite as they age and people look towards newer trucks.

Sure you got a deal, for now. I did the same with my 4R, it was cheap with rust, now I’m planning to dump it(not a good feeling knowing the engine has plenty of miles left). It’s overall cost surpassed my wife’s 4R that I paid 3.5k more upfront. It’ll catch up rust always does. I’ve also ignore some big ticket items like UCA replacement (did lowers, totally seized) never fixed the header tick either. So all in all its closer to 6k more expensive than its rustless counterpart.

I think you’ll enjoy the truck, just be ready to let it go to a dealer in few years.

With the amount of rust on the undercarriage I can bet the rest of the car was not regularly washed during the winter months. The salt works its way into all of the doors, body panels, behind the side steps etc. I can guarantee the warm heat of Virginia will help speed up the body panel rust. I see plenty of 200's around this age with body panels bubbling.

With that being said I still think you got a good deal with the miles and overall condition. I have dealt with rust my entire life and it really just sucks... POR-15, fluid film in the doors and woolwax on the undercarriage will help tremendously. Trucks from the North head South to be resold to unsuspecting buyers, and clean Southern trucks head North where they fetch a premium.

Enjoy your LX, send it in a few years when used prices are hopefully even better!
My thoughts exactly! The under carriage is scheduled next week with a good friend who is a lexus mechanic. I dont have to keep this truck for 20 years may just enjoy it and sell with 120k for more than i paid hopefully

Guess I should show you my 4R frame, looks about the same underneath…. Then you get above the spare and behind the rear bumper cover….scales just peeling off. Rest of the frame is “surface” but I have some nasty scaling up high where the PO never got under the truck. My front crossmember is also due for replacement soon. Rust kills these trucks more than anything else.

As to what happens to rusty “nice” trucks, we’ll there’s a 100 in CA that came from the NE and it’s been posted for sale a multiple times. I see the same rusted 100s sitting on lots around here. There’s at least 3 I could point to that have been on dealer lots for over a year. 200s will follow suite as they age and people look towards newer trucks.

Sure you got a deal, for now. I did the same with my 4R, it was cheap with rust, now I’m planning to dump it(not a good feeling knowing the engine has plenty of miles left). It’s overall cost surpassed my wife’s 4R that I paid 3.5k more upfront. It’ll catch up rust always does. I’ve also ignore some big ticket items like UCA replacement (did lowers, totally seized) never fixed the header tick either. So all in all its closer to 6k more expensive than its rustless counterpart.

I think you’ll enjoy the truck, just be ready to let it go to a dealer in few years.
Thanks! My thoughts exactly

good call. Have any pictures? I will say that if it came from Manhattan and has that many records from the dealer honestly the rust can be overlooked.
Serviced at lexus every 5000 miles.

9A92D89B-84FC-40A0-8860-E470608FE9CF.jpeg

FWIW...mine looks worse. I feel like mine was parked in the ocean for a bit. I bought mine in 2016 and put 70K+ miles since. I have had 2 issues...rusted AHC fuild line and most recently failed PS pressure sensor. I'm sure there will be more but given that it was one of the lower priced LX in 2016 so the math still works.

FWIW...mine looks worse. I feel like mine was parked in the ocean for a bit. I bought mine in 2016 and put 70K+ miles since. I have had 2 issues...rusted AHC fuild line and most recently failed PS pressure sensor. I'm sure there will be more but given that it was one of the lower priced LX in 2016 so the math still works.
So no falling parts on the highway? No $1200 alignment? Im glad to hear a little rust didnt scare you and your enjoying this beautiful vehicle like i plan to do mine. Goodluck and thanks

Another member of team lockjaw. I have a 2013 LX that has 90k and the AHC line was replaced by the previous owner. I have owned it a year now, put 15k miles on it and sprayed an entire case of Fluid Film on the underside.

I plan on taking it for professional Wool Waxing here in the near future, but for now I’m just enjoying my LX.

I have owned a few Toyotas in this shape where I was lured by the maintenance and shape other than the frame. Wire wheel what you can, Coroseal it, wait a few days then POR15. Once that dries spray all of it with one of the aforementioned preventatives. A little bit of work, but at least you stop or slow the existing. Mother nature wins- we just have to try to buy some time.

So no falling parts on the highway? No $1200 alignment? Im glad to hear a little rust didnt scare you and your enjoying this beautiful vehicle like i plan to do mine. Goodluck and thanks
LOL not yet, but the tranny guard might fall off soon. Not that it didn't scare me...I didn't know better and the price was good. It's my tow vehicle parked on the street so it's getting beat up and it's good not to care.

Evening boys! Just got back from a 1500 mile round trip in the ol’ rustbucket and im hear to report no parts falling off no issues in fact the best ride i have owned to date.

Well rust and age starting to show up this year.
Shorted PS pressure sensor left me completely stranded on a side of interstate.
Another time the car would not start...I did "tap the starter" trick which fixed it. Luckily, I was a the track and had tools at my disposal to do this.
Replacing starter looks like a giant PITA, will see what dealer wants for this.
When I was making the last 500 mile drive, my AHC failed with car driving in low. Not fun towing without it but, at least car was drive-able, Hopefully just another line issue.
I also had to replace front calipers (a while back) and will replace rear ones.

Went to check out new $80k sequioa but couldn't even test drive one and dealership experience made me never want to buy a toyota... ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom