TLC - ICON - Paint type and color code (1 Viewer)

Does anybody know the type of paint used and the color code for this color.
As this will be the color of my new 1983 FJ40 LX

from what i know the icon is not painted it is coated with some type of speacial powdercoat. resembles the nostick teflon pan stuff. it has no shine but is pretty tough.

PixelWrangler

SILVER Star

Andrews Powder Coating

If TLC is tight lipped about the color you might try contacting Andrew's Powder Coating in Chatsworth, CA 818-700-1030. As far as I know they are still doing the powder coating for TLC. They service a lot of high end clients and are a great bunch of guys. Had them coat a couple of things for me in the past and their prices seem to be pretty reasonable. Their website is worth a gander just for the eye candy. They can do some amazing stuff with powder.

Andrews Powder Coating. Custom and Semi-Production Powder Coating.

:cheers:

I tried to copy the dark grey as close as possible here are the paint codes for my colour:-
Paint manufacturer - Spies Hecker
Base coat - Technical grey - 177, 656R, 86R (803817)
Clear coat - Matt Clear Coat - 8085

Look
I tried to copy the dark grey as close as possible here are the paint codes for my colour:-

looks good, quite the Icon forgery, I like it!

Vintage Off-road has a 40 that is painted to emulate the icon powdercoat. Didn't get a reply when I asked about the paint code wondering if anyone knows
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401148968.096416.jpg

Living in the Past

SILVER Star

I'm sure Jonathan would tell you if you asked him. I don't think he's afraid that you'd be competition for him.
I'm sure he is not worried about competition but probably doesn't want a bunch of want-a-bees running around out there in the same color.

Vintage Off-road has a 40 that is painted to emulate the icon powdercoat. Didn't get a reply when I asked about the paint code wondering if anyone knowsView attachment 901047
I'm willing to bet the paint is the only thing that's the same as a real ICON.
It's probably Rustoleum rattle-can primer.
Good change he wouldn't know since he just buys and sells these things. Has been know in the past to have a the newer owner paid to have it shipped from the PO location and never see it in person himself. I know he has been importing the last few years those I believe he ships to his place in AZ. Those he does some things to but don't believe any are frame off restorations.

This could very well be true but I think that this specific 40 is under Vintage Offroad's "custom" builds which makes me think Greg would know the paint code/color.

do you have a build thread or more pictures?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom