Builds Project "Devil Frog" - Isaac's '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This thing has been sitting for several years since I bought it. Maybe a thread will help with progress.
image-356507177.jpg

What is the month/year of that? Those turn signals look like pre '69.

Last edited:
Oct 68.

In scope so far:

3FTE, turbocharged, inter-cooled, and water meth injected, controlled buy MegaSquirt ECU
H42/Split Case
Roll cage w Corbeau neoprene bucket seats
Dakar/Bilstein Suspension + 1" body lift
33x12.5R15 Good Year Duratracs on Flat black steelies
FJ62 power steering
Full Float Rear Axle
FZJ80 Lockers front and rear
Body and paint
Warn 8274
York Compressor/OBA

Wish list:
H55/toybox
Safari Snorkle
Swing out Tire/Jerry Can rear bumper

Last edited:
Any idea what this crossmember was used for on this custom cage I picked up from FJguy last year?
image-3219708490.jpg
image-1400663729.jpg

There is a guy out here in the east mountains that had soda blasting ads everywhere; anyone ever use this process. My project sure needs some type of media blast before the body work and paint process.
image-883869495.jpg
image-2125843007.jpg

There is a guy out here in the east mountains that had soda blasting ads everywhere; anyone ever use this process.

Yes. If the company is The Stripper of New Mexico, stay away.

Any idea what this crossmember was used for on this custom cage I picked up from FJguy last year?

actually I learned what it is in the BHCC last week. on a good cage, you need some cross pieces to stabilize the cage side to side. a dash cross member and one behind the front seats, like that one, is what that's for. I am now putting one in like that for mine.

There is a guy out here in the east mountains that had soda blasting ads everywhere; anyone ever use this process.

We've used soda blasting. It is awesome, but glass bead blasting will give you more tooth for the primer, and is a reuseable media.

To blast it properly you need to disassemble it completely, so it's not a big deal to haul it into town for blasting at that point. We've used Southwest Coating (primarily a powder coater) and they were fast and reasonably priced. Also Coating Solutions, but I don't know if Charlie is better yet or not (he got sick a while ago and had to take a break). I've heard good things about Kaehr for blasting too, but I've only used them for plating services, so I can't speak directly about that.

Dan

Look what I picked up during my lunch break.
image-367864101.jpg

oooooooh, aaaaaaaah. What did you do to the engine? Don't forget the block-off plate where a mechanical fuel pump would be.

oooooooh, aaaaaaaah. What did you do to the engine? Don't forget the block-off plate where a mechanical fuel pump would be.

Todd did the folowing:
-standard rebuild e.i. machine work + new bearings, pistons, rings, timing gear, gaskets...
-milled .030" off the head
-installed M-a-F mild cam, with stiffer valve springs
-painted pretty black and silver

at home I plan to:
-port match the head with intake and polish
-after market ECU, Megas Squirt
-eliminate vane MAF and replace with MAP sensor
-use electric radiator fan
-add knock sensor
-add rear tank with fuel return loop, electronic pump in loop

Last edited:
Is this a 2FE in the making? Looks like a good project. I like the nickname.

The 3FE is home
image-3837019152.jpg

Last edited:
Its so pretty. I think it needs to replace Dan's diesel!

He can have that. 31MPG. I'm happy with that. ;)

Looks gorgeous! Why electric fan? There are plusses and minuses, but I'm just curious as to why you're going that route...

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom