Tires for stock FJ40 wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Costco will mount them if you bring them in loose. Cheapest place I've found for tires and once they're on you can take the truck back with them on to get your lifetime balance.

I went with the BF Goodrich KM3. They are not too aggressive for daily road use, but have some meat to them if you get in something soft. Gonna be useful once the infrastructure is gone.

What size and on what wheels @Braden620? Pics?
31x10.5R15 Stock wheels. There is a slight amount of rub on the drag link clasp up front, but I hope to remedy this by turning the clasp around. There is also a slight amount inside fender wells where the 90* support of welded on underside. This rear interference would not occur if not for my sagging rear springs. I was hoping to go with the OME lift in the near future but recent events may have serious implications on my project.

received_744523346466020.jpeg

20210101_153818.jpg

20201210_152857.jpg

Thanks for the pic @Braden620! Fine choice in color too ;) Those KM3s look nice. I may be going with that over the KO2s. I’m getting a 2” OME installed next week (I have flattened springs as well), so think by doing that the 31s will be fine with regards to rub.

curious if anyone knows - in doing some looking online, it looks like the white wagon wheels for the ‘82 are 6” vs 5.5. Anyone know it’s that’s the case? I haven’t taken the wheels in to be looked at/measured, but will soon. Will probably take in the spare. .5 isn’t a lot, but will give a little extra room.

Being new at this, my one concern was with safety on the stock 15/5.5 or 6 since the chain shops won’t put them on...but sounds like a large number of Mudders have the 31/10.50s on the stock wheels - so that’s alleviating my concerns there...

The static width of the bead of the tire is not 10.5". It's far closer to 5.5" than one might think. I really don't think the bead to wheel fitment is as exaggerated as some of the diagrams show that are explaining the "danger". Also, our trucks don't usually drive at high speeds around tight corners so the wall deflection is not as big of an impact.

Also, keep in mind tire guys don't make the rules, nor do they know the dynamics concerned with the tire/vehicle/surface interactions. Most of the "we can't do it" BS that you get from tire shops is nothing more than legal garbage put forth by the most villainous scum on earth (besides politicians), lawyers.

Thanks for the pic @Braden620! Fine choice in color too ;) Those KM3s look nice. I may be going with that over the KO2s. I’m getting a 2” OME installed next week (I have flattened springs as well), so think by doing that the 31s will be fine with regards to rub.

curious if anyone knows - in doing some looking online, it looks like the white wagon wheels for the ‘82 are 6” vs 5.5. Anyone know it’s that’s the case? I haven’t taken the wheels in to be looked at/measured, but will soon. Will probably take in the spare. .5 isn’t a lot, but will give a little extra room.

Being new at this, my one concern was with safety on the stock 15/5.5 or 6 since the chain shops won’t put them on...but sounds like a large number of Mudders have the 31/10.50s on the stock wheels - so that’s alleviating my concerns there...
I traded my stock wagons for a set of steelies..... the Toyota stock wagon wheels are indeed 6”

I went with Open Country MT's 33x10.50 and I have a 2.5 inch lift. Discount tire wouldn't mount them on the stock rim but Les Schwab had now issue mounting them. I like the look but can't comment on the ride since she's not running yet.
D4507239-3CBA-48CF-8205-05183F7430B2_1_105_c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom