Stock 1974 FJ40 for an African roadtrip to Morocco? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beautiful part of France too! About a decade ago I spent a week just south of Ganges in Brissac up on the hill (during the WC where Germany beat Argentina) and have been meaning to get back ever since.
It is! 😃
1709911587755.png

Oh man, she's just perfect for the job.
Congrats wholeheartedly!

PS. What about the rims/wheels, 15'' or 16''?
If I can see well they are not split rims/jantes cerclées...
Wheels are 16" (only on European 4WD models, ROW had 15" on 4WD versions) and yes they are regular wheels, not split rims.
16*6 ET30

Up to 1993 it's a plain steel rim old school, after 1993 it's this wheel model:
1709912317115.png

Which is exactly the same (same PN) than you could have on Hilux, 4Runner, T100, 80 series...
And on 90, 120, 150 series you could have wheels with the exact same spec and a slightly different design.

And actually all the drivetrain is standard Toyota small truck of the time, same axle, diff, gearbox, u-joints, wheel bearings, etc. than a Hilux or 4Runner.
So even if it looks niche/exotic, the mechanical side is very common and most parts are easy to source.

On the FJ40 front, it will go tomorrow to the garage for a little general check-up and for replacing the waterpump. I finally decided myself to replace the current one (last changed in 1977) and as my very specific euro-spec setup isn't available, I gathered everything to adapt a 2F fix fan setup.
1713379462212.png

At least I will be sure my waterpump and fan are working at 100% if I was to go for a even hotter destination by the end of the year ;)
A good clean and flush won't do bad also, lot of mud got unstuck from the engine during my trips...

Then in 2 days my 40 is due for its technical control (every 5 year for a collector registered car)... First one since the renovation, hope it goes well.

And then in 3 weeks we have our national 40 series rally =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom