76 FJ40 wheel/tire question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! First time post here. Quick summary: I’m resurrecting my father-in-laws FJ which he bought new 76, and it has been sitting at a farm for 25+ years. 350 V8 transplant, but everything else looks stock.

Question for the group, it has these 11-15 tires and unknown rims (see pics). I like the profile and look, does anyone have something similar and can share the rim specs and tires sizes you’re using? Would love to see some pics of what you got too.
Thanks!

IMG_8809.jpeg

IMG_8811.jpeg

IMG_8812.jpeg

I think the wheels are the Wagon Wheels for the 60 series cruisers. No idea about the tires but looks like a BFG KO2 in 32x11.5r15 would be about the same.

Here is that combo on my 62
IMG_1255.jpeg

Welcome, those rims look like the old American Racing rims (aftermarket), and they probably used to be white. I had a 76 at one time that someone had put those on, seems like they must have been the rage back then in order to mount a wider tire as the stock steel rim is only 5.5" wide.

Last edited:
I also think they are American Racing wheels.
I have a set that also came on my 76.

If you like them, find a place to have them powdercoated before putting new tires on.
I had 5 wheels for my 80 series powdercoated recently, it was $400 to have them blasted and painted. Which iv thought was reasonable.

i’ve been trying to find some white wheels and have come to the conclusion that most of these aftermarket white wheels don’t have the right backspacing and will need a spacer. my 72 came with a set that look pretty close to yours. they need spacers. i’m still going to get them refinished and use them for summer tires. that being said yours sit flush with the hub so maybe yours have the right backspacing

IMG_8016.jpeg

i’ll likely run a 285/75r16 on mine. (equivalent to a 33x11 tire. this is a 17 inch wheel with my winters but same over all dimensions tire wise
IMG_8004.jpeg

yours have pretty wide tires on them so assume they’re not 5.5 inches wide. you’ll be able to get a tire up to 12.5 wide on them if you want to go that big.

Last edited:
As other said, they're aftermarket wheels. If they are 8" wide they would be interesting and I would hold on to them. IMO, 10" wide wheels are too wide. It looks like they might have 1/4" spacers behind them, which is not uncommon for wheels with 4" back spacing. These days most folks go with stock steel wheels and tall skinny tires.
20220424_201129.jpg

Last edited:
I also think they are American Racing wheels.
I have a set that also came on my 76.

If you like them, find a place to have them powdercoated before putting new tires on.
I had 5 wheels for my 80 series powdercoated recently, it was $400 to have them blasted and painted. Which iv thought was reasonable.
Great idea, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom