Builds The Warthog v4.4 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the 2-3 week warning on the transmission and the fuel tank arriving so I decided it was time to back the Warthog in the shop and gut it.

I am looking forward to cleaning up the engine bay real nice during this process. The Holley has a real clean wiring setup that will allow for a more open, clean engine bay.

0D6A9502-3DE5-49A2-ADF1-25983393398C.jpeg

EAD30F80-DBFF-4238-8E58-6A39F4551874.jpeg

What’s the benefit?

The downpipe on the 55 is a pretty cool piece. I don’t know enough about the 3F to know if it’s the same depth and pattern as the 2F....

They flow better than the 2F exhaust manifold and from what I've read is on par performance wise with a good set of headers. Won't warp like headers do. I have a set I'm installing now. It requires minor clearancing on the intake manifold.

What’s the benefit?

The downpipe on the 55 is a pretty cool piece. I don’t know enough about the 3F to know if it’s the same depth and pattern as the 2F....

Bolt pattern to manifold is the same as a 2F as is the outline, so a 3FE exhaust will match up with a 2F intake.

3FE manifold is thicker and should be milled down to match 2F intake thickness. Underside of 2F intake would need to have some material removed for the 3FE to fit. From the manifold two pipes into one and out the back. I've been running this about 2 years and IMO it's an improvement over the 2F exhaust.

3FE exhaust on 2F head

The drivetrain is ready to come out and go to a new home. Luckily there is another early Pig in the family that was in need of a 2F and 4 speed so it will stay in the family and even better, in a Pig.

4ACBC270-9B93-4398-AD34-2B255BE39756.jpeg

F7114130-3D39-4D4E-B758-0A991F82023F.jpeg

I’ll turn it over to the rocket scientist now to lead us through the technical aspects of the fire breathing 2F

The following is classified Top Secret, Special Access. Proceed with caution.

5A565C7F-E918-4E9A-A04A-76F9C20A80A5.jpeg

This snowball actually started rolling back in 2006 or so, when I accidentally procured a “Hot Rod 2F” built by a very mysterious and artificially intelligent (presumed to be) earthling, who shares the same initials and birthday as our Lord & Savior.

I say “accidentally”, because I was merely seeking some heart surgery for my ailing FJ60. I thought all rebuilds were the same.

I entrusted it to the hands of a now-defunct cruiser shop that had not yet started the downhill slide into self destruction. That train wreck happened during the build, about the same time I found out who they were outsourcing the motor build to. That bit of knowledge gave me a glimmer of hope that the project would actually one day be completed and my deposit would not be lost.

After more than a year of wondering if I would ever see my deposit, I finally got the call that the motor was on the way and to bring my truck in.

A few weeks later I find myself standing on a corner in a dirty part of Atlanta waiting to be picked up by the shop owner in my truck with its new motor.

Last edited:
My truck was the in the family since new, so I was intimately familiar with the nature of the 2F. It lived up to all the stereotypes. It had no power and would lose speed climbing the slightest hill at highway speeds.

There was no way that whatever was under the hood of my truck as we rocketed back to the cruiser shop was a 2F.

No way.

This thing had way more power pulling into traffic and easily revved to the redline and beyond, building power as high as you dared spinning the tach. No more power drop off at 3000 rpms.

On the drive back home, I was amazed that I could simply press the gas in any gear and power up any hill at speed. For once I could actually pass slow traffic on the interstate.

I had seen the light. From that day forward, I would spread the good news about the potential of the often overlooked 2F. This must have made me look crazy, because it was usually dismissed.

In fact, when Nolen needed a new 2F for Ole Blue not too long ago, I tried to preach from the gospel of TEQ 5:16, but he was not ready to convert. He found a deal on a regular rebuild instead.

I had since switched to the dark side and did not have a Hot Rod 2F any more to present as evidence.

Fast forward a bit. I had retired from my Professional Rocket Science career to love on Cruisers (<—— shameless plug), and had the opportunity to rebuild the motor in the The Delta Beast.

This time, the owner was receptive to the Good News. (Really, I think he just wanted to upstage Nolen.)

I got on the ham radio and called the one who shares the same initials as the Son of Man and asked for his guidance on building a high performance 2F.

The recipe was handed down and the build began. I went to a machine shop I had become familiar with to see if they were receptive to the changes we would need to make.

After a few weeks of waiting on machining and some more time for me to spitshine & assemble, we had a motor:

96F9AA3B-E36E-4B53-AF39-F4CFCD7DAAEF.jpeg

Dressed in classic black and stainless hardware, there was nothing to suggest there was anything of out the ordinary going on behind the scenes.

It was shoehorned into the patina’d Delta Beast and topped with a Holley Sniper fuel injection system.

The time of reckoning was here.

2CD05F77-DC4B-4EB8-95FB-2453785C258F.jpeg

To my relief, it fired right up and the Holley took over. With it running, I set the timing and proceeded to break in the cam.

After test miles around town to let the self-learning system start to map itself, I needed to put some break-in hours on the motor. Nolen wanted to see if the 2F lived up to my hype and proposed we meet halfway between us and have a drag race.

He would be armed with Project Patina, which had a fresh late-model 2F, and a recently rebuilt JimC carb & dizzy. It was tuned to perfection.

Both trucks have the same size tires and the same 4.11 gears, so this was probably as close to an ideal comparison as it was going to get.

We met at Grenada Lake and drove around for a bit and took pictures for Instagram. When we got to the top of the 2-mile long dam, it was empty all the way across. This would be the spot. This is where we would race for pink slips lunch.

I pulled up beside Patina and, after a rolling start, he dropped the flag...

Patina is no slouch. She probably runs stronger than when she came off the factory floor. But you can’t argue with the truth, and Nolen drove away a believer.

Last edited:
Soooo can we get an estimated cost to build one of these engines? Any estimate on HP gains?

Soooo can we get an estimated cost to build one of these engines? Any estimate on HP gains?

I’ve got a dyno lined up for after it is done.......To the wheel but I’ll also do Patina to get a baseline.

Any estimate on HP gains?

I was going 75 mph easily to Nolen’s 60 in the dam video. I even backed off in the middle because I thought we were through.

That’s a clear 25% improvement in performance.

Last edited:
To get into the build, the first thing we needed was a good core motor. We decided on a later (flat piston) 2F, since those pistons are still barely available from Toyota. The 75-80 dome pistons are custom-order only unless you want Chinese units.

Nolen happened to have such a motor stashed at his local machine shop. They never got around to building it, so he went on a repo run to grab it.

A call to @beno had a sixer of Toyota’s finest 1.5mm oversized pistons on the way. Between the Delta Beast build and now, the 1.5mm over rings had been discontinued, but we could source those from Hastings.

26EFA7BF-9026-4CDE-BFA6-FC418E4788A0.jpeg

46E11331-FD19-48A4-93F7-B84C512B6DAF.jpeg

0361D54A-32D2-4B64-BD50-5F1AE02B338F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom