3FE exhaust on 2F head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Starting a new thread on this instead of tacking on this info in the other threads. I'm planning on using a 3FE exhaust on a 2F and retaining the 2F intake. @LAMBCRUSHER has led the way with this mod.

Material on the underside of the 2F intake interferes with fitment and alignment of bolt holes and has to be relieved to allow the two pieces to mate up.

Intact 2F intake.

DSCN6656A.JPG

Intake with material removed.

DSCN6657A.JPG

Flange thickness differs between the 2F intake and 3FE exhaust manifolds with the 3FE flanges being thicker.
Flange thickness measurements of the 3FE is about 15 mm and 2F intake manifold flange thickness about 13 mm.

I decided to build up the 2F flange by JB Welding 1/2 washers to the intake. I used OEM manifold washers (90201-12051) because I knew they would be the correct diameter and have a uniform thickness.

Pair of half washers JB Welded to the 2F intake.

DSCN6733A.JPG

DSCN6734A.JPG

Once the half washers were JB'd on the thickness was ca. 16-17 mm. Using a sanding wheel on a Dremel I reduced the thickness to match that of the 3FE manifold.

DSCN6735A.JPG

DSCN6736A.JPG

Are you going to end up with a pipe under the frame rail like a 62? I'm not crazy about that, but otherwise this looks like a good mod.

Are you going to end up with a pipe under the frame rail like a 62? I'm not crazy about that, but otherwise this looks like a good mod.

No I consider that a design flaw of the 62. I'm planning on eliminating the Y-pipe that runs under the frame rail by only using the short straight sections of the stock exhaust and having a shop built the rest.

Trollhole did it first- and a couple others of the old guard.... I would like to give major props to Godwin for solving the flange thickness issue...If you look at the pics of the routing in my FJ55, you might find a decent path for both pipes INSIDE of the frame rails- don't forget the heat shields! If a guy wanted to be crazy, he could have a water chamber welded beneath the heat exchanger...

No I consider that a design flaw of the 62. I'm planning on eliminating the Y-pipe that runs under the frame rail by only using the short straight sections of the stock exhaust and having a shop built the rest.

It wouldn't work anyways with the taller block

Any long term reports on how well the coating holds up?
The 3FE is still on the engine stand, won't be for a while. From what I understand, the graphite in the coating bonds molecularly with the cast iron in the maniforld.

Bump 'cuz I've made a little more progress. The big hurdle was finding a good exhaust shop and that was accomplished this week. I've also trimmed the stock down pipes and all I need to do is mount the pieces and drive like a screaming banshee :lol: to the exhaust shop.

Weather and life permitting I should have this wrapped up in a couple of weeks.

IMG_1311.JPG

Bump 'cuz I've made a little more progress. The big hurdle was finding a good exhaust shop and that was accomplished this week. I've also trimmed the stock down pipes and all I need to do is mount the pieces and drive like a screaming banshee :lol: to the exhaust shop.

View attachment 1378642
What did u use to plug the egr port?

View attachment 1378642
What's the diameter of those down pipes?
I'm going to make my own, I was thinking 1.5".

What's the diameter of those down pipes?
I'm going to make my own, I was thinking 1.5".

Can't say because I haven't measured the diameter of the pipe. I'll try to get back with you on this later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom