Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks like our Australian fire crew truck. View attachment 2691245
That thing is sick, absolutely love the split rims.
Cool. Tell him whst equipment he needs.
The troopy already has helped deliver people to put out a bush fire, think we already have all the equipment needed, such as a shovel, 1 fire extinguisher, and 13 people stomping on fire haha. Real professional :cool:
E9AD0D3C-35FF-46F5-B817-F645D5F4AB3D (1).JPG

Not sure what I would think of the white top but I really dig it. Looks nice.

I can tell you what we did in my friends K10 one August road trip in 100 degree weather and no a/c. Cooler full of ice, (well beers too) and dunking our shirts in it. Worked quite well. I suppose the updated version is one of the Frog Toggs like my son uses during baseball, they work quite well.

Amazon product ASIN B003YF7W22
Less than $10 at walmart, thats recent graduate budget money there.
hmmmmmm, now that sounds like a great plan, hadn't even thought of that. thank you!
Do you have a ‘fridge in the Rocket? Lotsa cold beverages, a white roof, and good airflow and you’ll be fine. I’m so old I remember driving cars all around the country in summer heat with no a/c. We survived.

Oh, and I dig the white roof.
if you mean electric fridge nope, will have a big cooler or 2 in it that we will refill with ice accordingly. The 100f & 100% humidity heat here really isn't that bad if the car is moving, just as soon as it stops then you have a problem. No airflow whatsoever. Gonna hope we don't hit too much bad traffic in cities. And thanks! I was half way through sanding it just wondering why I was doing it and thinking it was gonna look horribly funky but in reality I think I even like it more.
Early air conditioning ..... 😁View attachment 2691303
I wish my troopy had these!! I guess mine is the most base model option at all, doesn't even have the fancy Dorito windows like that which were such a lifesaver in the old yota pickup we had

Early air conditioning ..... 😁View attachment 2691303
I really miss those on my 71 Chevy. Also miss the little flip-out air scoops in the foot Wells of my old fj40.............On your trip, don't forget that most hotels have ice machines, coffee in the lobby, and many have free continental breakfast in the lobby.

Last edited:
I guess mine is the most base model option of all, doesn't even have the fancy Dorito windows

AFAIK, none of the Euro-market heavy duty 70-series Landcruisers had quarter windows. They got them in Australia, though. I'm sure a wrecker over there could get them for you if you wanted to foot the bill.

Between the quarter windows and the rear sliding glass you can get some impressive airflow through the Utes. 😊

I wish my troopy had these!! I guess mine is the most base model option at all, doesn't even have the fancy Dorito windows like that which were such a lifesaver in the old yota pickup we had

Dorito windows. I'm using that one...

On your trip, don't forget that most hotels have ice machines, coffee in the lobby, and many have free continental breakfast in the lobby.
👍 we plan on camping pretty much everywhere, hotels are just so dang expensive (for us). Still, there will probably be a day or 2 where we are just so tired we will plop down the money for a night in a bed.
AFAIK, none of the Euro-market heavy duty 70-series Landcruisers had quarter windows. They got them in Australia, though. I'm sure a wrecker over there could get them for you if you wanted to foot the bill.
Ahhhh got it. Glad to know I'm not all alone. The price you gotta pay for LHD I guess.
Dorito windows. I'm using that one...
might also want to use Dorito engine whenever referring to a rotary engine haha

1622728633002.png

The price you gotta pay for LHD I guess.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think it's more to do with the climate in a given market. Places that get hot like Australia and the Middle East got wing windows. Places that are cooler or more temperate like Europe or Japan got none.

👍 we plan on camping pretty much everywhere, hotels are just so dang expensive (for us). Still, there will probably be a day or 2 where we are just so tired we will plop down the money for a night in a bed.

Ahhhh got it. Glad to know I'm not all alone. The price you gotta pay for LHD I guess.

might also want to use Dorito engine whenever referring to a rotary engine haha

View attachment 2693194
A good truck camping hack for your LC that I made and like is to get some 12-24V light bulbs on Amazon and wire up a couple of light sockets. I used LED types so they draw very little electricity. Leave one on for hours with no appreciable effect on your batteries. They are standard "soft white" 60 watt equivalent so it's a good warm light. I find most LED camping lights to be that abnoxious glaring "brilliant blue white" light that attract insects. The bulb shaped globe around the LED inside is actually plastic so these things are durable and not fragile like a glass bulb would be.
You have to order the bulbs, but the alligator clips you get at lowes as well as the red/white "bell wire"/telephone wire and the sockets It's a hard wire so when you want to run the cables, and hang the light up you just make a loop of wire and twist it around something to hold it in place.

12-24V LED bulb and wire.jpg

12-24V lED bulb.jpg

Well it’s pouring rain, took the troopy to my dads work garage to do some final work on the roof rack, add awning, change oil, last check over. We plan to leave at 8:30am, which means we will probably be leaving at 10 in actuality. I’m pretty confident in the mechanical shape of the troopy, highest failure point will be the non toyota part in it, aka the turbo. Don’t know how much I trust the $50 junkyard Saab turbo to take me 8,000 miles across the country and back but I guess we will find out.

0A96DC0E-F372-4E4B-BA86-E5EAA1688CAD.jpeg

There are plenty of Mud folks to help along the way if s*** goes completely awry.
Post a group picture before you head off. People read your thread and look at your pics, but many don't know that you're less than 20 years old and just graduated high school. Epic adventure you are about to undertake. You're lucky to live in Wilmington for such a long time and make good friends who will go out and share the adventure before you guys head off to work/college and all the stress adult life has to offer. People will be more likely to help you out knowing a bit more about you. Good luck.

Post a group picture before you head off. People read your thread and look at your pics, but many don't know that you're less than 20 years old and just graduated high school. Epic adventure you are about to undertake. You're lucky to live in Wilmington for such a long time and make good friends who will go out and share the adventure before you guys head off to work/college and all the stress adult life has to offer. People will be more likely to help you out knowing a bit more about you. Good luck.
So Johnathan and the boys finally got on the road this morning. High school graduation for most last Saturday and off on their West Bound and Down Road Trip today.
Stay tuned - we may need support from the MUD community.
IMG_7319.JPG

Enjoy the trip and keep up good team spirir!
Looking forward to nice pics and stories. You guys are doing the right thing: Go get some adventures and create fond memories to last.
Stay safe, all the rest will eventually work out.

So Johnathan and the boys finally got on the road this morning. High school graduation for most last Saturday and off on their West Bound and Down Road Trip today.
Stay tuned - we may need support from the MUD community.
View attachment 2694306
They have a bigger pit crew than some NASCAR teams. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom