Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now we are talking. Where did you get the tire tie down?

I own the 74 now. @LukisStyles sold the truck to me. He was great to deal with. And @Shes Mad did the conversion. It was a real pleasure to meeting the Red Rocket. Hopefully we can catch up soon. Just to correct were I worked it was a Rare and unusual conifer nursery, we sold A huge variety of Japanese maples too. I consider them the freaks of the tree world. I moved in January to North Carolina and I'll miss that job so much. So far the 74 runs great. Needs a few minor maintenance things. I should start a thread on the 74's continuation. I've added a air compressor with small tank. And made my own cup holder. Both can be seen on instagram Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/littletrees1313/ . Oh I'm a lefty and my hand writing is horrible, sorry about that.

Oh yeah, I'll probably reach out to @Onur for any help and the @theglobb if I need a extra hand!!!! Of course I can help him anytime as well!

You might be interested in this for the Red Rocket:

would be nice on a hot, humid day... Congratulations on your graduation, enjoy the cross country trip, and come back to the outer banks on your return.

Now we are talking. Where did you get the tire tie down?
Known her for years, one of my great friends. Any pics with her and the troopy blow up on Instagram pages, so naturally, we took a ton of them.
Oh yeah, I'll probably reach out to @Onur for any help and the @theglobb if I need a extra hand!!!! Of course I can help him anytime as well!
Yes for sure, I'd be more than welcome to help with anything you want, not every day you get to work on a 70 series that isn't your own!
You might be interested in this for the Red Rocket:

would be nice on a hot, humid day... Congratulations on your graduation, enjoy the cross country trip, and come back to the outer banks on your return.
Oh, I'm very interested and have been for a while with aftermarket A/C. Just need more money and a broke teen only has so much haha. If I wasn't going XC then my funds would have gone to a bit nicer turbo setup, aftermarket A/C, and maybe powersteering too? This trip is sucking a lot of my funds but worth it for sure. Sure wish I had some A/C yesterday while I was being burned alive in an open field dress in all black 😆
ED02EB4B-E730-426A-BA3F-3ACB8C542B0B.jpg

All the surfers in our group definitely want to come back to OBX sometime this summer, I'll let you know for sure.

I own the 74 now. @LukisStyles sold the truck to me. He was great to deal with. And @Shes Mad did the conversion. It was a real pleasure to meeting the Red Rocket. Hopefully we can catch up soon. Just to correct were I worked it was a Rare and unusual conifer nursery, we sold A huge variety of Japanese maples too. I consider them the freaks of the tree world. I moved in January to North Carolina and I'll miss that job so much. So far the 74 runs great. Needs a few minor maintenance things. I should start a thread on the 74's continuation. I've added a air compressor with small tank. And made my own cup holder. Both can be seen on instagram Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/littletrees1313/ . Oh I'm a lefty and my hand writing is horrible, sorry about that.
WTF...you got rid of my yeti cup holder...that thing was like $322...:p:D:D. I do miss that truck..a lot.

Got some rear armor, solid steel. Next time a jeep rear-ends me their radiator will be exploding and I'll just have to do a little paint touch up😄 The extra 200lbs of steel in the back has improved the ride quality too haha

IMG_9618.jpg
IMG_9619.jpg

Got some rear armor, solid steel. Next time a jeep rear-ends me their radiator will be exploding and I'll just have to do a little paint touch up😄 The extra 200lbs of steel in the back has improved the ride quality too haha

View attachment 2689604View attachment 2689603

Your fabbed bumper looks great, you even got the spare drop down access in the correct location this time ;)

Remember turning up your fuel doesn't make your EGT's go up by itself. It depends on your right foot. You're going to burn a certain amount of fuel at a given load. If you want it to be super peppy around town and off road you can add alot of fuel, but once you use your right foot to keep the peddle down to maintain interstate speeds on grades or keep highway speed in the mountains without downshifting, just more right foot and more smoke. How much fuel screw you add determines how quickly it gets hot. You decide how much attention you need to pay to the guages during your driving. If you have more than one person who drives your vehicle you definately want to be careful else your friend or family, or significant other burn something up in the engine driving it like a normal vehicle..............Around town less than 45mph not accelerating I"m making 7-8 PSI. Normal acceleration I'm about 12psi. Highway speed is 10psi. Full accelleration is 15 PSI. (17PSI without intercooler). Without intercooler I have added enough fuel to get 22psi, but with tractor pull type smoke and really quick climbing EGT's. 12-17PSI max is a good range to be in. At 12 it's difficult to hit the too hot EGT's. Again that is with a truck that's probably 500lb lighter??
Learned to drive (as in dad wouldn’t let me have a license until I could drive it to his satisfaction) on a 1966 Diamond Rio with a flatbed water tank that also carried 4” drill pipe on the back and a 335 Cummins with a 5x4 two stick setup for drivetrain. Air brakes, but only on the duals, none on the front axle. No power steering, either.

DOT would never allow it now, but this was 1978, and things were different then.

“if you can drive this, you can drive anything.”

Two big rules:
1) No smoke. Ever. Smoke was “too much fuel”.
2) pyrometer was to stay below 1600F, preferably 1400F.

There is a bunch else to driving something that large, but..... “no smoke”.

Had a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 383 2-bbl as my first car.

Got a speeding ticket a few months later with the motorcycle cop’s daughter in the car. We’d gone to lunch.

“hi daddy”

Showed up at work with the ticket in-hand. Showed him the ticket, and he showed me the 4 bbl manifold and Carter carb he’d bought for my car out of the tow yard next door.

We install it anyway, but then he has a lesson to impart. Dad has decided that I just haven’t learned to keep my foot out out of it. So despite the new 4 bbl setup, I’m told to go home, get an egg, wrap it in a bread sack, and tape it to the gas pedal.

When I can drive for two weeks without breaking the egg, the lesson will be over. I’m allowed to change the egg every 3-4 days so I don’t break a rotten egg, and the bread sack is there to contain the mess.

it’s all honor system, too. But I didn’t like to my parents.

it took six weeks to master the art of a light foot on the loud pedal.

When I was done, he explained that this is how he wanted me to drive everything, but especially a diesel truck.

No smoke.

The following summer I was 17 and driving that Diamond Rio as part of my job as a hand on the smallest drilling rig.

Dad loved telling this story for the rest of his life, especially how frustrated I got.

I eventually learned about the orifice in the fuel pump that controls how much fuel is in the return line, and as a result, the rail pressure for the injectors. They’re called “buttons” in the vernacular. NI also learned that “blank” buttons existed, so I obtained one, and could still drive it without making much smoke.

Dad was pissed when he found out though. “You don’t needy that.” He was more pissed that his father (and business partner) was the one who told me.

Last edited:
Learned to drive (as in dad wouldn’t let me have a license until I could drive it to his satisfaction) on a 1966 Diamond Rio with a flatbed water tank that also carried 4” drill pipe on the back and a 335 Cummins with a 5x4 two stick setup for drivetrain. Air brakes, but only on the duals, none on the front axle. No power steering, either.

DOT would never allow it now, but this was 1978, and things were different then.

“if you can drive this, you can drive anything.”

Two big rules:
1) No smoke. Ever. Smoke was “too much fuel”.
2) pyrometer was to stay below 1600F, preferably 1400F.

There is a bunch else to driving something that large, but..... “no smoke”.

Had a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 383 2-bbl as my first car.

Got a speeding ticket a few months later with the motorcycle cop’s daughter in the car. We’d gone to lunch.

“hi daddy”

Showed up at work with the ticket in-hand. Showed him the ticket, and he showed me the 4 bbl manifold and Carter carb he’d bought for my car out of the tow yard next door.

We install it anyway, but then he has a lesson to impart. Dad has decided that I just haven’t learned to keep my foot out out of it. So despite the new 4 bbl setup, I’m told to go home, get an egg, wrap it in a bread sack, and tape it to the gas pedal.

When I can drive for two weeks without breaking the egg, the lesson will be over. I’m allowed to change the egg every 3-4 days so I don’t break a rotten egg, and the bread sack is there to contain the mess.

it’s all honor system, too. But I didn’t like to my parents.

it took six weeks to master the art of a light foot on the loud pedal.

When I was done, he explained that this is how he wanted me to drive everything, but especially a diesel truck.

No smoke.

The following summer I was 17 and driving that Diamond Rio as part of my job as a hand on the smallest drilling rig.

Dad loved telling this story for the rest of his life, especially how frustrated I got.

I eventually learned about the orifice in the fuel pump that controls how much fuel is in the return line, and as a result, the rail pressure for the injectors. They’re called “buttons” in the vernacular. NI also learned that “blank” buttons existed, so I obtained one, and could still drive it without making much smoke.

Dad was pissed when he found out though. “You don’t needy that.” He was more pissed that his father (and business partner) was the one who told me.
What an amazing story, absolutely love it. Your dad sounded like quite the character haha. The old 3B was putting out a bit of smoke on hard acceleration before the turbo but now since so much more air is being crammed into there it makes none that's visible, just how I want it.

Also, I did a thing, with the power of 150 grit sandpaper, primer, and 3 turbo cans worth of spray paint the Red Rocker now looks like some Swiss Ambulance. Kinda dig it though. Primary reason for this was cause of the whole no A/C thing. A white roof has to help some with the heat inside due to it reflecting a lot of that sun right back into the sky. Y'all may have also seen black spots (which was rust converted rust) on the roof for a while in my pics, the roof was rusty in some spots so this gave me a chance to repair and stop the rust from spreading. Plus the roof was just really faded and looked like absolute crap compared to the rest of the cars paint, which is saying something haha. Also, I realized a month ago that my fuel water separator had just been completely bypassed yet it was still hanging around in the engine bay, well it was totally rusted out on the other side which is why it was bypassed so I bought a Racor 230R and with my dad's fabrication skills he was able to get it in the engine bay where we had some free room. XC in three days, gonna be documenting every little bit.

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg

IMG_9743.jpg
IMG_9753.jpg
IMG_9765.jpg
IMG_9749.jpg
IMG_9750 (1).jpg

That looks like our Australian fire crew truck.
HJ75RV-MRQ 85 ORANGE TROOPY web ready015.jpg

Not sure what I would think of the white top but I really dig it. Looks nice.

I can tell you what we did in my friends K10 one August road trip in 100 degree weather and no a/c. Cooler full of ice, (well beers too) and dunking our shirts in it. Worked quite well. I suppose the updated version is one of the Frog Toggs like my son uses during baseball, they work quite well.

Amazon product ASIN B003YF7W22
Less than $10 at walmart, thats recent graduate budget money there.

Do you have a ‘fridge in the Rocket? Lotsa cold beverages, a white roof, and good airflow and you’ll be fine. I’m so old I remember driving cars all around the country in summer heat with no a/c. We survived.

Oh, and I dig the white roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom