Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What exactly do you mean by “chip”? The interface (cord?) between the OBD port and the laptop? I’m still using a cord from over 10 years ago with an old laptop.

What exactly do you mean by “chip”? The interface (cord?) between the OBD port and the laptop? I’m still using a cord from over 10 years ago with an old laptop.

Nope, the actual OBDII reader.

So anyways, had a pretty helpful support guy at HP Tuners, and he managed to get the chip reflashed and working for me, so I'm excited.

Currently in Fort Collins for an investment challenge this weekend, so I'll be back working on exhaust on Sunday.

Exhaust time.

P/s turbo bank.

20230416_133238.jpg

Under the bellhousing.

20230416_193632.jpg

D/s turbo bank.

20230416_143419.jpg

A nice walk around the link mounts.

20230416_154530.jpg

I have a ton of heat wrap to get all the stuff close to the exhaust, and the exhaust.

20230416_143406.jpg

Y pipe.

20230416_165733.jpg

Cat back.

20230416_210921.jpg

Got the throttle pedal working, I left the crank position sensor unplugged and it wasn't happy.

Currently need to finish running exhaust and weld out, and then start prepping for CM.

I need to build a subharness for the turbo bypass and wastegates to start making full boost as well.

20230416_181339.jpg

20230416_143419.jpg

20230416_193640.jpg

I'm curious to get a ride in that thing. Methinks I'm going to kick who ever is riding with you at SAS out of your vehicle and shove them into my rig with Chris and the dog on the way to one of the trails one day.

I want to know what a "fast" 40 is like. 😆

Picked up a hum in the trans, think its from the routing of the hose since it wasn't there before I tied everything up for exhaust. I also shoved another 4 qts of atf down it's throat to get it to full @ temp. Have a few adjustements to make on the cooling system tomorrow at the shop, then off to moab. I'm really nervous for these first runs due to do many possible failure points.

Was nice to meet you. .your 40 is really nice you have done a steeler job with it . ( even if it has a Volkswagen engine in it 😁).

Had a few teething issues in moab, trans didn't want to shift and it seemed like I was in a partial limp mode, stuck in 3rd and rev limiter of 3K.

I was eventually able to trick it into shifting and running normally, but always had to have HP Tuners open, so that's what happened.

Anyways, had a really good cruise moab with the shop, lots of fùckery as usual, so it's always a good time. Almost rolled the cruiser on hells gate, pretty good driver error lol. I'll post that video in a bit.

A few teaser shots from CM.

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0478-1.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

20230422_143856.jpg

20230422_143837.jpg

20230422_143657.jpg

20230422_143647.jpg

20230422_143433.jpg

20230419_154356.jpg

Had a few teething issues in moab, trans didn't want to shift and it seemed like I was in a partial limp mode, stuck in 3rd and rev limiter of 3K.

I was eventually able to trick it into shifting and running normally, but always had to have HP Tuners open, so that's what happened.

Anyways, had a really good cruise moab with the shop, lots of fùckery as usual, so it's always a good time. Almost rolled the cruiser on hells gate, pretty good driver error lol. I'll post that video in a bit.

A few teaser shots from CM.

View attachment 3305913

View attachment 3305914

View attachment 3305915

View attachment 3305916

View attachment 3305917

View attachment 3305918

View attachment 3305919

View attachment 3305920

View attachment 3305921

View attachment 3305922
Maybe it is in some previous post, but what roof rack is that on your crawler? Is it custom or made by someone?

Was nice to meet you. .your 40 is really nice you have done a steeler job with it . ( even if it has a Volkswagen engine in it 😁).

It was great to meet you and elsie as well! It's a gm motor lol. Hope you had a good drive back!

Maybe it is in some previous post, but what roof rack is that on your crawler? Is it custom or made by someone?

Its a prototype Bowfin Cruisers 40 rack.

A few other things to note:

1. the body roll really isn't that bad with only a rear bar, especially for a linked 40. It's there for sure, but I was taking a 25mph corners at 40+ booling around taking rolling shots. A front bar will really help with that as well, I'm sure.

2. Spring rates, for future reference on a 40. I'm 200 / 150 / 100 on the front, 250 / 200 on the rear. Both are very compliant and ride super well, both on and off road.

3. The front / rear barely unloads under hard braking and hard acceleration, it will squat some, but not a ton. The front linked changes seemed to really help with unloading on big climbs, but I'll have to test that more 😉.

Here's my almost oops lol. Pretty good drone footage at the end. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Phew that made me nervous. Suspension looks like it works well

That was a fun ride lol. First time I've ever fallen into the gate before, and I don't know how many times I've run it in the cruiser. Did it perfectly about 5 mins before.

How was the final crawl ratio with the 3.8 Atlas and the 8L90 with 5.29 diff's (91.6:1)? Can you stop the 40 in low, First gear on a down hill obstacle? I have been looking at that combo but thinking the 3.0 Atlas with 72.3:1 final would be closer to what I see in many buggy builds.

Just finish your entire build thread. Nice job! Putting in serious hours and "maximum effort". @Broski turned me on to your build thread because of the sweet build and the trans/T-case set up I have been kicking around.

How was the final crawl ratio with the 3.8 Atlas and the 8L90 with 5.29 diff's (91.6:1)? Can you stop the 40 in low, First gear on a down hill obstacle? I have been looking at that combo but thinking the 3.0 Atlas with 72.3:1 final would be closer to what I see in many buggy builds.

Just finish your entire build thread. Nice job! Putting in serious hours and "maximum effort". @Broski turned me on to your build thread because of the sweet build and the trans/T-case set up I have been kicking around.

It stops really well, crawl is super nice. Still working out the shifting issues, but when it was, it was great. Trans got hella confused in low since it is still on an ATS-V tune. I went with the deeper low in the atlas becausI would perefer more torque converter lockup rather than slip, and the low crawl gives just as many options to be in a higher gear with the 8 speed.

It stops really well, crawl is super nice. Still working out the shifting issues, but when it was, it was great. Trans got hella confused in low since it is still on an ATS-V tune. I went with the deeper low in the atlas becausI would perefer more torque converter lockup rather than slip, and the low crawl gives just as many options to be in a higher gear with the 8 speed.
Thanks for the info. I do really like the ratios the 8 speed has. great low crawl and it set up a really nice second and third gear for the not crazy technical sections on the trail and then you still have 6 more gears without shifting out of low range up to 30mph if you push it. Most all other auto have a big jump from 1st to second

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom