The Holy Truck / was Trypo the trypophobia-Inducing truck / was a chopped model 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went to see the progress in person this evening:
1650996746437.png

1650996764475.png

1650996780625.png

1650996815297.png

1650996834144.png

Today the Holy Truck got some black trim and some sanding of the white.
1651163070066.png

1651163129236.png

1651163148117.png

1651163163937.png

1651163186066.png

That is the diesel 105 in the background there. My daily right now.

I also had Amazon deliver some Noico foam sound and heat insulation for the roof and the other day I dropped off some Noico solid neoprene sound insulation for inside the doors. It made a huge difference in a 1998 model 100 that my son and I did. I thought it would be well worth it for the Holy Truck.

Once I have another reliable truck to drive the 105 is going to get the same treatment. I'm planning to take the interior out and have the front seats redone at the same time. The 105 might even need a new roof. There is evidence of some half-hearted government body work on the 105, and it looks like someone might have stood on the roof at some point.

is it the 045 single stage white or the 2 stage modern stuff?
I don't know... How can I determine that? What questions should I ask?

the guys painting would know. the old school 045 single stage you just have to buff it back to shine, while the 2 stage needs to be waxed. I think someone else here can opine with more knowledge.

Two stage just means a base for color and then clear coat. It gives a deeper gloss than single stage.

All paint (including clear) oxidizes over time and gets contaminated (e.g. bird poop) and needs to be polished to strip the damaged layer.

Also, all paint also should be coated with something protective. Plain ol' wax, that "once a year" stuff in the orange bottle, Colinite 845, or one of those fancy new ceramic coats that are supposed to be the bee's knees. Detailer forums are full of interesting opinions on the various products.

my uncle who is a body man of 35+ years knows how to paint both and said it was much more work to do single stage right, but thats why it lasts longer.

The doors are going back on the Holy Truck
1651341258919.png

1651341284099.png

New fuel filter (finally) to go with the new fuel pump and brand new carb.
1651341334734.png

The seats are cleaning up very nicely
1651341366317.png

1651341389738.png

I can see that the drivers side is going to need some new foam. I really prefer cloth seats.

Looking great

I have not posted for a while. It is very, very hot in Dubai. And I've been out of the country.

The good news is that the engine is running and very nicely too. We have yet to drive the truck because we are focusing on getting the AC to work because...

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 9.21.07 PM.png

It was a little cooler today. So it only felt like 144 degrees F. And for those readers who have the good fortune to think in Centigrade, yesterday was 42C/felt like 69C and today was 41C and felt like 54C.

I went to Sharjah both days on missions for the Holy Truck and for the troublesome turbo diesel. I've been trying to replace all the rubber on the Holy Truck with new but some is not available or I order it and then a couple of weeks later I get a cancellation. It has been frustrating. I have beautiful new single panes of glass for the 3rd window and I had ordered the surrounds but the regular kind came--the rubber for the slider windows. I am going for a clean look on the Holy Truck and really want to use the single panes so I've been going from yard to yard looking for useable rubber. Today I succeeded in finding some.
1658079874990.png

The rubber is in pretty good shape. I took it off the glass (which I won't be re-using) and stuck the rubbers into the washing machine along with a pair of tennis shoes and a few socks and ran it for 3 hours and it came out looking very nice and clean.

1658079062616.png

The channel where the glass was has some kind of sticky goop and I will need to use solvent to get out, but I will do that tomorrow.

The other thing I have been trying to buy are the rubber bumpers that go along each side of the body. I could find lots of nice rubber for the driver and even passenger doors but nothing much for the front fender or the bit under the 3rd window. I spent most of my time in Sharjah today hunting through piles like this:

1658079403147.png

I actually greatly prefer the look of the 100 series bumper materials:

1658079444522.png

I was thinking I might try to cut down 100 series for the Holy Truck, but in the end I succeeded in finding a complete set of wide bumpers for an 80. My plan is to have them painted with flexible bumper paint. Trying to decide on white vs front bumper color vs semi-matte black. I probably will go for the semi-matte black. Or I could try to clean up the bumpers, but these wide things have a rather garish VX Limited logo on them, which I really don't care for. The pieces look like very dirty and messed up versions of this:
Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 9.41.46 PM.png

The fresh paint would have begged me to weld the belt-trim holes & go full “poverty pack” clean, esp with white.

But paint is on & I’m just armchair quarterbacking -

I’m very jealous you get to ‘start fresh‘ on the body paint, that is awesome!!!

Hi Linus,

I actually thought about welding up all the holes, but I've just found the rubber to be really useful in parking lots. And the creases in the doors are pretty noticeable.
1658114231859.png

1658114271191.png

1658114293061.png

What I really wanted was plain black that fit just within the outlines. I am not sure I want to use the big fat VX LIMITED bumpers but I am only into them about 80 bucks.

I wonder if someone in Australia makes plain black bumpers...?

Well the salvage yard side trim was a flop. The big, wide trim did not work without the fender flares.

I could not return them but I could exchange them, so I did, for 100 series rubber bumpers. My idea is to cut them down to size for the 80. I think it is going to work:
1658909910178.png

The width of the 100 series rubber is perfect too. Just what I was looking for. I think it also makes a nice accent stripe.

I also finally have all the rubber for the rear and back windows and so I should be able to see what it looks like with glass in it soon.

One question I am facing is that of new tires, required for inspection. With the fender flares deleted I dare not have the tires extend past the body. Will 285/75R16 tires stick out?

Yes, 285/75 r16 will stick out quite a lot. Even 275/70 is a bit, but intrestingly my 275/70 yokohama geolandar g015s dont seem to stick out my flare deleted 1996 hdj80 as the 265/75s on my dad factory no flare 1993 hzj80, I would say the 265 tires we have on there have kind of a "belly". Its a bit tire dependent to sum up.

As a solution to this, recently I bought a set of 255/85 r16 toyo mts. They will be installed in the coming 2 weeks, but I dont thinkt they should stick out, or very very minimally. Also read a lot of good feedback about this tire size choice, fits the factory rims and I like the pizza cutter but tall look of them. Only downside it lack of choices/avaibility in this size.

*all this with factory et0 alu rims!

Yes, 285/75 r16 will stick out quite a lot. Even 275/70 is a bit, but intrestingly my 275/70 yokohama geolandar g015s dont seem to stick out my flare deleted 1996 hdj80 as the 265/75s on my dad factory no flare 1993 hzj80, I would say the 265 tires we have on there have kind of a "belly". Its a bit tire dependent to sum up.

As a solution to this, recently I bought a set of 255/85 r16 toyo mts. They will be installed in the coming 2 weeks, but I dont thinkt they should stick out, or very very minimally. Also read a lot of good feedback about this tire size choice, fits the factory look and I like the pizza cutter but tall look of them. Only downside it lack of choices/avaibility in this size.

*all this with factory et0 alu rims!
Thank you Vitek. Your information is very useful.

275/70R16 have a diameter of 31.2 inches and a width of 10.8 inches.
285/75R16 have a diameter of 32.8 inches and a width of 11.2 inches
265/75R16 have a diameter of 31.6 inches and a width of 10.4 inches
255/85R16 have a diameter of 33.1 inches and a width of 10 inches

I like your solution, Vitek. I just bought some tall narrow tires for the troopy that are going on its rather narrow rims:

235/85R16 have a diameter of 31.7 inches and a width of 9.3 inches

I could put those on. I've just asked my tire guy if he can get me anything in your suggested 255/85R16. Let's see what he says....

Well the salvage yard side trim was a flop. The big, wide trim did not work without the fender flares.

I could not return them but I could exchange them, so I did, for 100 series rubber bumpers. My idea is to cut them down to size for the 80. I think it is going to work:
View attachment 3070161
The width of the 100 series rubber is perfect too. Just what I was looking for. I think it also makes a nice accent stripe.

I also finally have all the rubber for the rear and back windows and so I should be able to see what it looks like with glass in it soon.

One question I am facing is that of new tires, required for inspection. With the fender flares deleted I dare not have the tires extend past the body. Will 285/75R16 tires stick out?
The rims determine the most of the stick out from back spacing. Secondly is the tire width on the rim.

A 285 is about 12" wide and the stock rims are 8" wide. That's 2" outside the rim on inside and out.

A 265 tire will be shorter in height as well as more narrow.

A 295 will be tall and skinny as mentioned above.

With your access to steel rims and other models of Toyota trucks, maybe some other model rims with a larger back set to tuck them underneath a bit. Although, you may introduce rubbing issues trying to keep them tucked underneath.

If you can find the 295's, start there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom