Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was time for an oil change. So I filled with 8 quarts of the dino & spun on a B-2, just what the 2F needed.

Oh, had a visitor at my shop.....

IMG_4680.jpg

Nice rig my friend has!

Even better! You will be the guinea pig! I look forward to both the short and long term evaluations.

Short Term Review: Over a month with the new vacuum gauge installed, and it is still doing the job it's asked to do. Nice to be able to see how the vacuum in the intake fluctuates at different driving conditions and under load. Seems like I'm more cognizant of the pressure on the skinny pedal these days?!?!

Alright....I've been resisting the urge to get one of these toys, but it finally got the better of me. So I'll start with a cheap-ass unit! Heck the cart was twice as much as the MIG welder itself. I figured when I learn to lay a good bead down with this unit, I'll up-grade.

IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

I should have resisted the urge!!!!!!..........However, there is something satisfying about mending two pieces of steel together with a little piece of wire and some electricity. And with that, this could get interesting....Probably will only be used for yard art. :hillbilly:

And for those who might want to see my initial puddles/blobs/piles/holes/burns/scatter/$hit/slag, maybe later.....I will say this, there is a learning curve. HOWEVER, my daughter has been dating a guy that's been welding for over 10 years. So I cooks some good food, invite said daughter and boyfriend over, I get some welding lessons!

*** Note to future self: When on a future job site during steel erection, your an measly architect, not a FRIGGING WELDER!!!! ***

For safety's sake, I do know my limitations. :flipoff2:

Alright....I've been resisting the urge to get one of these toys, but it finally got the better of me. So I'll start with a cheap-ass unit! Heck the cart was twice as much as the MIG welder itself. I figured when I learn to lay a good bead down with this unit, I'll up-grade.

View attachment 1956422

View attachment 1956421

I should have resisted the urge!!!!!!..........However, there is something satisfying about mending two pieces of steel together with a little piece of wire and some electricity. And with that, this could get interesting....Probably will only be used for yard art. :hillbilly:

And for those who might want to see my initial puddles/blobs/piles/holes/burns/scatter/$hit/slag, maybe later.....I will say this, there is a learning curve. HOWEVER, my daughter has been dating a guy that's been welding for over 10 years. So I cooks some good food, invite said daughter and boyfriend over, I get some welding lessons!

*** Note to future self: When on a future job site during steel erection, your an measly architect, not a FRIGGING WELDER!!!! ***

For safety's sake, I do know my limitations. :flipoff2:

Uh...... That masterpiece of yours sure ain’t gonna need anything so you’ll have to find another 40 when you acquire your new welding skills! :hillbilly:

An expansion is already in the works!

View attachment 1956796
There is never enough room for all of our 'stuff' lol I've been resisting that same urge to get a welder for a few years now, I don't know how much longer I can resist :oops: Look forward to seeing your progress with your skills...good luck!

Good for you Rick. I needed to learn to weld as well. Fine skill for a man to have! That said I will start with scrap metal......

Rick, aren’t you due for an overly obsessive restoration on an impulse buy soon?

Hush yo mouth, young man!......(but I think you are 100% correct!!!!!)

With toting two mortgages for the past year, I'm just lucky to have a pulse! However, we meet with a Realtor tomorrow morning at 9AM to sell our old house.

And why, the lengthy double mortgage payments....Well, a week after we moved into the new abode, the below happened!
IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

Below is what the house did look like before the damage. This photo was take not long before it happened.
IMG_2654.jpg

And now looks similar to below, but completely finished.
IMG_4776.JPEG

Just to put some perspective on what hit the house, four hardwood trees with a minimum of 44" base and one red oak with a 60" base. Had that happened while my wife and I were asleep in our Master Bedroom, let's just say we would be ashes and scattered over a golf course & lake.

BUT, it wasn't our time to go.......and we (my wife and I) are very grateful to be here today.

And before anyone ask, it was a pleasant day....up till a phone call at 2:00pm that day.

Hush yo mouth, young man!......(but I think you are 100% correct!!!!!)

With toting two mortgages for the past year, I'm just lucky to have a pulse! However, we meet with a Realtor tomorrow morning at 9AM to sell our old house.

And why, the lengthy double mortgage payments....Well, a week after we moved into the new abode, the below happened!
View attachment 1957115
View attachment 1957116

Below is what the house did look like before the damage. This photo was take not long before it happened.
View attachment 1957113

And now looks similar to below, but completely finished.
View attachment 1957122

Just to put some perspective on what hit the house, four hardwood trees with a minimum of 44" base and one red oak with a 60" base. Had that happened while my wife and I were asleep in our Master Bedroom, let's just say we would be ashes and scattered over a golf course & lake.

BUT, it wasn't our time to go.......and we (my wife and I) are very grateful to be here today.

That’s crazy, I’m glad you and the family are safe. Good luck on the sale. My wife and I lived in Cumming for the first few years of our marriage. The weather was unpredictable and impressively extreme. We had a house on a house on a slab and when a tornado went through the neighborhood it got kind of scary.

That’s crazy, I’m glad you and the family are safe. Good luck on the sale. My wife and I lived in Cumming for the first few years of our marriage. The weather was unpredictable and impressively extreme. We had a house on a house on a slab and when a tornado went through the neighborhood it got kind of scary.

No tornado, no storm, no wind......a lot of rain just before that happened. Then one day, the 60" red oak's root ball gave way, and down it came taking along seven others. Our biggest loss, other than time, is the Japanese Blood Maple that was shattered.

Enough of that, cruiser time! One from a job site this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom