Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info! I just got my 40 and bought the OME kit with Bilstein shocks because a few here recommended them and because, like you, I prefer the look of the BIlsteins. A quick search didn't reveal many folks who had done true A/B comparisons so I'm not sure if they actually ride better or just look cooler! In my case, I'll probably never know as once the Bilsteins go in I won't be swapping and doing comparisons!

Thanks to @wngrog for the info about Griot's products, I did a little paint correction this weekend. With using these two products:

IMG_5411.jpg

Do the products work? Using a Porter-Cable DA Polisher and Lake Country Force orange 5.5" pads, take a look at what a difference it makes.

IMG_5400.jpg

Overall finished product:

IMG_5410.jpg

Yep, it does shine in the sun.....:hillbilly:

IMG_5424.jpg

Looks amazing! Cool to see Griots being used by others. Their product combined with the Porter Cable have always worked great for me and the results last.

Glad I’m not the only one who likes to polish and primp their truck from time to time.

It's been a while since posting anything to my thread, but it wasn't for the lack of trying! See, for the past few years, the parking brake light seemed to have a mind of it's own. Every once in a while, it would light up......and then go dormant for days/weeks/months!

IMG_5632.jpg

Knowing there are a couple of switches that the wiring for this thing runs thru, I had bought the parking brake switch and the brake switch some time ago. I decided it was time to figure the wiring of this light, so I installed the new parking brake switch. Guess what, the next morning, the light worked!.........and then it didn't for a few days! $hit!

Next up, installed the new brake switch....Go figure, the light worked the next morning!!!!.......aaaannnnddd then it didn't!!!!! PHUCK!

Ok, two new switches didn't correct the problem, I knew it had to be the ground. Yes, I followed my '77 wiring diagram forwards & backwards, but could never find how the system grounded itself. Soooo, I turned the MUD search function into my personal dictionary! I searched and searched and searched and searched....Well, finally found what I was looking for. And let me tell you, I'd never have figured it out if good ol Mr. Rudi ( @bj40green ) hadn't posted this -> Click here, see post #5 <-.

IMG_5625.jpg

Yep, was just in the shop this evening checking out the grounds. I disconnected the two brake warning clips/terminals below the brake master cylinder. And much to my surprise, one of the terminals was just connected by a single copper wire and it disconnected itself once I unclipped it. I had a few connectors so I crimped two new ones on, cleaned up the housings and reconnected them. There we go, that was my problem, my system wasn't completing the ground.

IMG_5624.jpg

Proof, well I've traveled a few places this evening and the parking brake light has lit-up at every pull of the parking brake handle. Note, the parking brake light stays lit when the lever is pulled, except when you put your foot on the brake. Then the light goes out....

IMG_5630.jpg

Who knew?, I always thought it didn't work properly, because the engine compartment of your 40 was so filthy !

For clarification, if you ever look at the wiring diagram and wondered where the 'brake warning switch' was.....

1977 FJ40 Wiring - Brake Warning Switch.jpg

Well wonder no more! Again, thanks to Rudi......and their OEM part number is: 84390-30011 (7/70 - 7/80)

IMG_5625.jpg

FYI - just got back from my shop, tested the system again this morning, and......."let there be light!" ☀

Good job! Only another 40 owner could understand the excitement of figuring this out! Does your seatbelt light work :)

:flipoff2: ..........annnnnddddd, that would be a big fat NO! I disconnected the system when I installed my Procar Seats and aftermarket seat belts a few years ago.

$hit, I've since had my original OEM seat belts reworked & rewebbed, and they are installed. Dang, maybe that is my next wiring project? THANKS, E!!!!! :hillbilly:

Great work Rick! This is def on my to-do-list...along with fixing my seatbelt warning light. Hopefully, you'll post updates on that light too before I can get around to checking both mine out. :hillbilly:

The small victories are just as rewarding as the big ones.

Last edited:
What is the proper mounting of the light console Rick? My brothers ‘76 flops around. Care to pass on a pick of how it should be connected to dash? Thanks Tom

What is the proper mounting of the light console Rick? My brothers ‘76 flops around. Care to pass on a pick of how it should be connected to dash? Thanks Tom

The light housing attaches to a bracket that is attached to the dash by two screws, #93540-14014.

Warning Lights.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

And now you guys know where my super secret, zombie kill'a death ray.......er, carb cooling fan over ride switch is. :flipoff2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom