Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40

GA Architect

SILVER Star
I haven't pulled a vacuum reading on my rig in a while, so after I went for an evening drive last night, pulled out the tester. The engine seems happy with about a 19 -Hg, sweet.

Waiting for my Weeeeebay vacuum meter to come in so I can install it on the dash. Installation will be flush mounted in one of the existing OEM holes, using these items below.

GA Architect

SILVER Star
Rick, please link the source for the ‘no mods needed’ vacuum guage. It would make my life a lot easier if more people had these BEFORE they started asking engine questions.
I just ordered this 2" Vacuum Gauge on the Bay > Click here < ....me eye sight isn't what it used too be, thus the larger 2" unit!

The brass hose fitting > Click here < or > Click here <

The large metal washers were obtained from HD and the neoprene washers (1.5" OD x .5" ID) were punched out of some random stuff I have. The thin neoprene washer will go directly behind the gauge against the dash, and the thicker one will be used behind the dash to take up the slack between the dash, washers & hose fitting.

Plan will be to use the larger dash plug location for this gauge.

As soon as I get the notion, I'll make this happen and write it up. May go ahead and install the 1.5" vacuum gauge this weekend just to see how it does.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor

Even better! You will be the guinea pig! I look forward to both the short and long term evaluations.

Back in the '80s and '90s I used to recommend and install Stewart Warner gauges. But after they moved overseas and the quality tanked, I've just told customers to get whatever they can.

GA Architect

SILVER Star
Even better! You will be the guinea pig! I look forward to both the short and long term evaluations.

Back in the '80s and '90s I used to recommend and install Stewart Warner gauges. But after they moved overseas and the quality tanked, I've just told customers to get whatever they can.

Spent some time in the shop this evening....decided it was time to make this vacuum gauge installation happen. My first thought after the install, it doesn't look so bad on the dash, I can live with it. So here are some pics.

For a very inexpensive gauge, it seemed to work during my test run in the shop. Now let's see how durable this little unit will be.

Note about durability, I did drop one of these gauges and the dang thing sits at 5 -Hg sitting on the bench, trashed it.....So I'm not too confident about the durability, but I do have the neoprene washers installed for some protection. None the less, time will tell.

GA Architect

SILVER Star
Short Term Review: Over a month with the new vacuum gauge installed, and it is still doing the job it's asked to do. Nice to be able to see how the vacuum in the intake fluctuates at different driving conditions and under load. Seems like I'm more cognizant of the pressure on the skinny pedal these days?!?!

GA Architect

SILVER Star
Alright....I've been resisting the urge to get one of these toys, but it finally got the better of me. So I'll start with a cheap-ass unit! Heck the cart was twice as much as the MIG welder itself. I figured when I learn to lay a good bead down with this unit, I'll up-grade.

IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

I should have resisted the urge!!!!!!..........However, there is something satisfying about mending two pieces of steel together with a little piece of wire and some electricity. And with that, this could get interesting....Probably will only be used for yard art. :hillbilly:

And for those who might want to see my initial puddles/blobs/piles/holes/burns/scatter/$hit/slag, maybe later.....I will say this, there is a learning curve. HOWEVER, my daughter has been dating a guy that's been welding for over 10 years. So I cooks some good food, invite said daughter and boyfriend over, I get some welding lessons!

*** Note to future self: When on a future job site during steel erection, your an measly architect, not a FRIGGING WELDER!!!! ***

For safety's sake, I do know my limitations. :flipoff2:

imyahucklbrry

"En cervisia veritas"
SILVER Star
GA - As close to the lake as I can afford...
Alright....I've been resisting the urge to get one of these toys, but it finally got the better of me. So I'll start with a cheap-ass unit! Heck the cart was twice as much as the MIG welder itself. I figured when I learn to lay a good bead down with this unit, I'll up-grade.

View attachment 1956422

View attachment 1956421

I should have resisted the urge!!!!!!..........However, there is something satisfying about mending two pieces of steel together with a little piece of wire and some electricity. And with that, this could get interesting....Probably will only be used for yard art. :hillbilly:

And for those who might want to see my initial puddles/blobs/piles/holes/burns/scatter/$hit/slag, maybe later.....I will say this, there is a learning curve. HOWEVER, my daughter has been dating a guy that's been welding for over 10 years. So I cooks some good food, invite said daughter and boyfriend over, I get some welding lessons!

*** Note to future self: When on a future job site during steel erection, your an measly architect, not a FRIGGING WELDER!!!! ***

For safety's sake, I do know my limitations. :flipoff2:
Uh...... That masterpiece of yours sure ain’t gonna need anything so you’ll have to find another 40 when you acquire your new welding skills! :hillbilly:

Top Bottom