The 4WheelUnderground 3 link thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it safe to assume that your fender cuts will clear the tire at this articulation?
I didn't mount the tire up, but it will be close. May need a bit more trimming, especially because I moved the axle forward.

Had to cut and shorten the steering links because of the longer tie rod and y link adapter I used. Haven't finished the welding.
It looks like you tacked it to the knuckle??

No. Height of the air bumps is set by fully stuffing both sides. This height is different than when one side is stuffed and the other drooped because of how the axle pivots.
Ah. Right.

It looks like you tacked it to the knuckle??
Oh I see the picture you're referring to. Those are the inserts Billy provides depending on what steering you're running; heims, 1 ton TREs or FJ80 TREs

Oh I see the picture you're referring to. Those are the inserts Billy provides depending on what steering you're running; heims, 1 ton TREs or FJ80 TREs
oh, Ok. I was wtfing for a moment but that makes sense.

I'm only 30 minutes down the road from him :flipoff2:

Updates are starting to have some substance now! Finished cutting and tacking in the passenger side tower. Now I can finally do some REAL testing and clearance checks. This one has some pics you guys have been waiting for.

Here's full droop on passenger side with shocks installed

17068731306_866fbc9b07_h.jpg

With full stuff on driver's side

16908477579_4f52023627_h.jpg

Full droop on both sides. I swear you could fit 16" coilovers on these things for ridiculous down travel

16474532233_6c47ef0862_h.jpg

16907126880_1cf9f90979_h.jpg

Now lets test with the tires on

17093996281_cc55bd09e9_h.jpg

17068727366_f465324cc0_h.jpg

With my trimming the tire can fully stuff no problems. But you can't turn the wheel left because of how the axle moved forward. I will need to cut more out of the front part of the fenders. I'm going for maximum travel and don't mind cutting sheet metal. Those that aren't willing to do so will need to lower the shock towers accordingly.

16472232634_1db0f2442b_h.jpg

I couldn't even turn the wheel here. All this will need to go

16887283437_93a347a2e7_h.jpg

Now the wheel turned all the way right

16472229704_2753f4ee09_h.jpg

No issues with the sheet metal

17094681415_3e337a4dd8_h.jpg

But here's a problem. Tire touches the springs about 1/2" before hitting the steering stop. I think what I'll do is slightly modify the towers so they angle in towards the engine bay just a bit more.

17093172012_0b82fc72d8_h.jpg

And driver's side tire mounted

17068721906_24c4aea953_h.jpg

17093989351_dcbc29a222_h.jpg

Turned all the way left
16908467449_e2f6a30afc_h.jpg

16472224884_ace7a09b22_h.jpg

And similar issue on this side with the spring. This is actually full turn, touching the steering stops. I was able to move the spring over enough to get it fully turned.

16887280237_5edc1622a5_h.jpg

Till next time :cheers:

Nice work bro! Keep it up!

I really hate to say it because this kit is really badass and at a great price point. It's awesome to see someone step up and make it happen but I doubt you see another person buy, no matter how many said they would. :-/

No 3 link, no doubler, no rear leafs w traction bar, no ....

This website lacks so many creative minds, thinkers and talent....

Not trying to be disrespectful, just seeing the reality of statements made above slowly emerge(agreeing). Thankfully, there's plenty more in the community,not specific to this website that, that aren't solely concerned with cupholders and plastic dippin trim pieces.

It isn't only about sales for 4wu, it's a passion to make very functional (improvement in factory limits) parts for many different trucks. The 80 crowd isn't his bread and butter, it was just something he wanted to explore. Not unlike Nissan Xterrain and other up and coming projects I believe he is pursuing.

I'm sure he's a bit disappointed currently, but comments from a parts slinger and a turbo fanatic on suspensions mods shouldn't necessarily discourage him either...

Again, no disrespect, but this place is incredibly obtuse.

Nope no disrespect taken.

I am not just a turbo fanatic I created my own 3-link from scratch on my 55. Using OTT Highsteer, FZJ80 axles, triple rate coilovers, air bumps and 4130 heat treated links back in 2004.

I think this is an amazing kit, if not overkill, but after being on mud for almost a decade and now in the 80's section for a few years the demographic isn't there yet. As much as I wish it was, and I hope I get proven wrong!

The 80 has great bones to build into a fantastic wheeler, and it's getting cheap enough that I thought people would be getting adventerous and taking those risks....

But what wrote the book for these 80's is like Delancy likes to say is "capable for a station wagon" and I think that is just how the hardcore guys see the 80's. Maybe once a few of them get done like yours and Jcards, it will hopefully change some people's minds. But right now it's cupholders and soccer moms. Lol

And I am not saying these things to be an a******. Just relaying some truths I have seen on the forum. Everyone's hand goes up when something cool starts to come to market but after the shop has spent significant time and money getting it right, all those hands are no where to be seen. If it was just a passion project for them that's awesome! But if it's a money maker I feel it's worth me being honest with them on their sales outlook. If I was out of line I apologize I was in a s***ty mood earlier.

Last edited:
I forgot about your spectacular 55...

4wu owns the minitruck segment and is held in huge regards there. Pretty much the pinnacle of suspension systems on pirate, etc.

Maybe someday 80s too, but probably not unless he starts making it 'bolt on'<---- no joke

I haven't been around here enough or of the frequency to see the scenario you describe, but it's definitely becoming apparent:(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom