Builds Taro, the FJ60 build and adventure. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Niiice.. keep going keep going..

where did you get your clutch from? thinking of doing mine soon.

Howdy from Steamboat btw

Niiice.. keep going keep going..

where did you get your clutch from? thinking of doing mine soon.

Howdy from Steamboat btw

I really need to work on this thread, I have done a motor rebuild, 5 speed swap, and a couple of other fun things to clean it up.

I can’t remember where I got the clutch from. I’m thinking Cruiser Outfitters but not 100% sure. Howdy from Pagosa!

Feeling like I should come back to this build thread... Years and Years have gone by... so many versions of this 60!

So I will try to stick to the highlights!

I graduated college in 2017, and did some epic trips in Colorado to soak it all in before moving to Utah!

Alta Lakes
IMG_2633.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg

Ophir Pass June 2017
51264693-87D8-4EF0-B5BD-6454A13BCAFC.jpg
20170717_080614.jpg

Fully Loaded 60 with a tired 2F, pulling a Uhaul over multiple passes... I remember doing 65-70 in the flats. I was proud of it. But with tired suspension it was scary.

Utah was great! The day after I moved there was the first time I met Maggie (@Beastiethe70) at the Cruiser Museum! I think this was when she was gearing up for her Alaska Adventure!

I drove slowly on the salt flats! I didn't want that salt getting in places! Like camping on the moon!

IMG_5968.jpg
2017-07-19 10.33.06 1.jpg
DJI_0002.jpg
IMG_4435.jpg
FI5A6919.jpg

Last edited:
One trip that stands out, was doing a section of the Pony Express, outside of Wendover! We followed an abandoned road until we hit a dead end at a USAF Laser Range! Running down the dock fighting off the mosquitoes to dive into the blue lake! It's stained into my memory haha.
FI5A7020.jpg
FI5A7064.jpg
IMG_4517.jpg
IMG_4526.jpg
DJI_0090.jpg

My cousin and I ripped the 60 back to Colorado to ride some trails and see my brother's graduation! On that drive, the truck was pretty bouncy and loose. I decided it was time to replace the suspension and exhaust! Both were blown out. Old Man Emu Heavy! And an exhaust from MAF.
DSC00561.jpg
IMG_1988.jpg
IMG_2161.jpg
IMG_1890.jpg
IMG_2160.jpg

It feels like a lifetime ago... But I finally got the time off work and made it to Solid Axle Summit #2. I missed the first one due to a big wedding event I did the year before. Going back to my backyard and hitting the trails with a bunch of cool cruiser people was epic.

I made some of my closest friends from this event. Wild thinking how long ago that was! (I'm not tagging you :flipoff2:)
DSC01217.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg
DSC01059.jpg
IMG_2402.jpg
DSC01139-2.jpg

After moving out of Utah, I went back to Colorado and picked up the 60 to head out to Joshua Tree for a camping trip with the family. At this point, I was working in California and was without my 60 for a year. So I was super excited. At this point, I added a Gamaviti flat track and the new tent! I was excited about the trip!
DSC04279-2.jpg
DSC04271-2.jpg

As I got into California the ambient temps started rising... It was probably 105 degrees F. Everything was fine until I stopped to take a photo... The 2F started cooking... o_O
IMG_6686.jpg
IMG_6691.jpg

The engine was so hot that I kept pulling over and pouring water on the radiator to make it back to civilization.
DSC04308.jpg

Shade hunting! This Colorado kid wasn't made for the desert heat.

Once I got to the top of Chiriaco Summit and started rolling down toward Palm Springs the temp was holding consistently... Made my brain hurt... happy to leave the desert but also wondering what the hell happened. Worried about my head gasket and some other stuff I went ahead and started problem solving.

My first thought was the fan clutch was s***... found a crappy auto zone one and slapped it in. I checked the oil for signs... Spark plugs were nasty so I swapped them.

Everything was behaving so I continued to meet my family in Joshua Tree...
IMG_6720.jpg
IMG_6724.jpg
IMG_6722.jpg
IMG_6730.jpg
IMG_6750.jpg

Joshua Tree was epic. We checked out the Old Dale Mining District. It was awesome... except my 60 started burning coolant like crazy... being out in the desert I started having to feed it water to get back home. :(
IMG_6741.jpg
IMG_6739.jpg
DSC04326.jpg
DSC04333.jpg

@Rockymtnreaper Damn Tucker I didn’t know this build thread existed. Your truck has a really cool story behind it. Following.

@Rockymtnreaper Damn Tucker I didn’t know this build thread existed. Your truck has a really cool story behind it. Following.
I know... I fell off with this build thread. But the good news over all those years I have just got more and more photos of me growing up in 60s!
2022-09-12 12-01.JPEG
2022-09-12 11-56 2.JPEG
2022-09-12 11-58.JPEG
2022-09-10 11-45 1.JPEG

"OH WHERE DID ALL MY MONEY GO" into that 60 behind you... baby Tuck

Spending money you hadn’t even made yet. Classic.
The American experience

These two posts sum up how my minitruck rebuild is going. :steer: Just trying to get it to the third one!

@themachinist you know! THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE. It's worth it for the experience! @EasternYeti @ryaneddy16

View attachment 3601758

Looking forward to all of the rad posts that are about to follow these to get your build thread up to date!

(Live photo of 'Mud users awaiting new posts)
DSC09610.jpg

These two posts sum up how my minitruck rebuild is going. :steer: Just trying to get it to the third one!

Looking forward to all of the rad posts that are about to follow these to get your build thread up to date!

(Live photo of 'Mud users awaiting new posts)
View attachment 3601774
It's so appropriate today! Another Eclipse, another project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom