Tuck's 1970 Spring Green FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rockymtnreaper

Colorado.Cruiser
Threads
Hey all! I'm back with another FJ40 project. This time I am way over my head. But I'm pretty excited about it and have a project I can learn and build from the ground up. (Stupid, Expensive, Obsessed.) o_O

Some of you may remember this 40 from the classifieds early this year. But I purchased this from @wileycoyote in Montana in May and had it shipped down to Colorado. Just moved back to Colorado and I have been daydreaming about rolling around in another 40. I showed some friends and family, and I got talked into it by my girlfriend at the time. Who doesn't love Spring Green?

The basic:

1970 FJ40
Good Patina
No Drivetrain
No front seats
Been taken apart before
The last Registration was in Montana in 1988
No Title *edit* Rebuilder Title in progress
A little bit of rust, but overall not bad.

Goal:
Try to get it back on the road as quickly as possible, and don't obsess over the details (With friends like @mattressking @The Machinist @ryaneddy16 @EasternYeti that's hard.) I am going to keep the patina, I want to paint the frame and axles and replace all the parts and bolts I can. Basically, refresh everything that needs it, I want it to look like a good cruiser to those who know, and maybe a slightly rusty cruiser to those who don't.

So it goes.
IMG_2422 2.jpg
IMG_2391.jpg
IMG_2429.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2401.jpg

Last edited:
Some more photos of the body as I got it into the driveway! Can't wait to scrub and buff this baby! Some spots where someone thought about doing some rust patches. But not overwhelming (yet)
IMG_2725.jpg
IMG_5782.jpg
IMG_2716.jpg
IMG_5788.jpg
IMG_5789.jpg

It just like Burger King - do it your way. Looks like there is plenty of good stuff to work with sheet metal wise but I'd start with getting the paperwork in order asap.

Thank you! I saw someone else using something close to that as well! At some point in this, it will be nice to patch some rust!
You say "no title", before you start dumping greenbacks into it I'd secure a title or you could be spending a lot of money for nothing.
That has been a big stress of mine, I have already started to process for a new title! *update* looks like I'm doing a rebuilders title.

Last edited:
Bought some front seats from a fellow mud member who made some killer t-shirts as well as had a killer 55. ( @arthog )

Got home and started clearing out the part bin in the back of the 40. Someone stripped it before. So if anyone has good recommendations for a new or rebuilt wiring harness, I would appreciate it. Also finally got it into the garage! (Yes I know about the Bezel.)

IMG_2677.jpg
IMG_7484.jpg
71616151686__D908DAE8-FA25-4CED-958E-096671DC4775.jpg
IMG_7482.jpg
IMG_7479.jpg

We rebuild wire harnesses, that one looks pretty good though.
We remove all loom, replace any damaged wires with correct color-stripe and OEM terminals/connectors, and test any original wires that aren’t replaced. Then re-tape

We rebuild wire harnesses, that one looks pretty good though.
We remove all loom, replace any damaged wires with correct color-stripe and OEM terminals/connectors, and test any original wires that aren’t replaced. Then re-tape
Maybe I will send it your way to test and replace anything it needs... along with some other parts! You should text me a list of stuff you need from Chop. I set aside the AC stuff for you already.

So I had a lot of back and forth on where I was going to go with the drivetrain. I thought about going with an LS like my 60, diesel TDI, or 1HZ swap... But ultimately the opportunity came up to have my turn with "chop top" from Jake (a rolled 60 series with a cool Colorado history.)

Since the chop top is a running and road-worthy creature. We have been cruising the crap out of it! My little brother is addicted to driving it around with all his friends. I wish I didn't get it at the change of the season or else it would be my bike shuttle for the summer.

So the 40 will get the 2F/H42 and split case from chop! As well as the 60 axles and some other goodies. The 2F is super strong, actually such a smooth and quiet 2F. I feel bad about ending the chop top life, but it will breathe life into this old 40.

IMG_9409.jpg
IMG_9397.jpg
72151653778__B1418055-804D-4A33-9558-2677BBAD83B1.jpg
IMG_4925.jpg
IMG_8858.jpg

Last edited:
What a great find. You will have some fun with this rebuild.

Thank you, it's just going to be a one-step-at-a-time build. Excited for its future! I don't think the amount of work has really set in yet.

Tear down begins on the chop top!! Sad to take apart such a legend. But it will live on in my 40! One day I'm working on it outside. The next day I had to push it inside for the storm!
IMG_9439.jpg
IMG_9533.jpg
IMG_9596.jpg
IMG_9598.jpg
IMG_9588.jpg

my 60 looking really cold and jealous outside of the garage. ;)

I pulled the front clip for a friend, which made for great access to everything. This is my 3rd time pulling a 2F... solo pull this time! This one was fighting me. But we got it out!! Prepped it for the engine stand. I need to go pick up bolts... M12x1.75x100+? Something like that. I'll pick up some washers too to help space it out.
IMG_9599.jpg
GPTempDownload 2.jpg
IMG_9609.jpg
IMG_9636.jpg
IMG_9647.jpg

Nightly Organize and knoll. That way I don't lose anything! It was a fun weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom