taking apart fj-40... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Dirt_is_our_friend
  • Start date

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D

Dirt_is_our_friend

I am taking apart my 78 for a frame off resto. I want to know are there any tips i should look for while taking it apart? i am taking pictures everywhere and put all the bolts w/ there sizes thread pitch and where they go in there...........any other tipe i should do? :cheers: i am getting a aqulaua (spelling?)tub and cowl and front fender and am getting the shock mounts all around gusseted and then i am going to have my frame pc'ed along with misc. bolt heads....................this ine is gonna be the baby of my begining fleet :cheers: :D

Put parts in plastic bags as you take them off and catalogue them as you go. Even the ones that break so when you put it back together you will know what it looked like.

I wouldn't waste your time getting bolt heads powder-coated, just get new hardware (either zinc or SS)... the PC will just chip off and rust as you assemble and maintain the vehicle.

Pics help too. Sort of a blue print. By the time you go to put it back together you may not remember exactly how it was. 8)

Definately agree with these guys. You can NEVER take too many pix.... I wish I took more when I pulled mine apart, but this is my first resto and I didn't have this resourse. The more detailed you go with pictures and especailly when you bag and tag parts, the more you will thank yourself when you get to putting her back together.

Good luck with!
Yo Han

Get the big tub of Permatex Anti-Sieze w/ brush. Slop that on all the bolts.
If I was going to the trouble of true frame-off, I would seriously look into using only SS hardware.

Not just pixs, digital pixs.
If you don't have a digital camera then get one. Even an el cheepo is fine.
Take more pixs than you think are necessary, from every angle.
Of course baggies and a dedicated notebook.
Get in good with someone who owns a bead-blast cabinet or buy one.
Oh, and get another job too because it'll cost 3 times what you think it will.
Worth every drop of blood though.
Good luck,
Brog

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pics, ya don't need no pics :D. I'm in the process of taking apart a 7/69. I started out taking great notes and pics, and stopped because the thing was so simple. Maybe your 78 is more complex. I did bag up and label things that needed it. In general, since all the fasteners were so rusty I'm trashing them and replacing with stainless. www.mcmaster.com is a good source.

A couple of other differences between you and me. My vehicle suffered from a serious case of PO. There really wasn't much left to document, especially the dash. I'm not doing a "restoration" but what I consider a "renovation." I'm not even going to try and take it back to showroom condition. Some features will be upgraded (drivetrain, harness, and switches) so there is no need to know what was there.

One suggestion ... get an impact driver, the kind you hit with a hammer. It will save your butt, especially on the phillip head screws.

...cans of PBblaster :eek: and presoak if ya can

stainless fasterns are not the "all shiny never rusting gift from god" that people seem to think, they do have a dark side as well.

a stainless bolt going in to a weld-nut on the frame or tub is fine, what can get you into trouble is when you start threading both SS nuts AND bolts togther.
when using ss fasterns you MUST lube the threads other wise you're just asking for problems. that and it's alot easier to twist off a ss bolt compared to a "common" bolt.

and when you pull those 25 yr old bolts out, you might be amazed by how much gold zinc is still left on them, and while they might have been rusted in solid. just remember it took 25 yrs to get like that.

i work in a SS fab shop, but despite that you won't find one bit of ss on any of my trucks.

Do you re-plate your old bolts with zinc, Brian? I am kinda thinking of doing that if it is at all practical.

no, i don't think that's practical at all. and i'm not even sure that gold stuff on orginal fasterns is even zinc, but it sure does last.

i just use high grade steel bolts, the chances of them rusting up like the last time is unlikly, what with the paint and undercoating stuff and the regular washing and so on...

When I was in the local hardware store getting some new stainless nutts and bolts, the old guy in the shop recommended to stay with grade 8 for the fixtures that are subdued to allota stress instead of stainless... he stated that stainless is much weaker than Grade8, which made sense. I have used stainless on pieces that are exposed to the elements, but with structural and large stress areas I've stuck with grade8.

the old guy's 2 cents ;)
Yo Han

I have noticed that stainless bolts into standard steel holes = accellerated rust from the standard steel. I am told that this is because the difference in metals results in a higher rate of electrolysis or somesuch. Perhaps someone out there can explain it better.

Stainless bolt are ~grade 3 so use them accordingly. Dis-similar metal set up electrolsis with leads to accererated corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom