Spike. 1965 FJ45 LWB Survivor from an Arizona hill side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I have restored many FJ40 land cruisers and owned 3 45 trucks. I restored an HJ45 diesel truck 15 years ago and recently sold it. I liked it a lot but always wished it was a US spec with gas engine. I never thought I would have another one. Then I happened to run across “Spike” (named so because that was the former owners nickname). Another person had bought a car from Spike and listed the 45 for him. I asked him some questions and he said the owner had health issues and was only able to email, no phone calls or texts, he lived up a mountain “off the grid”. I contacted him by email with a ton of questions and only received a few answers. I sent more emails and still only a few answers to my questions. It is an all original 1965 LWB Truck, original paint, no rust, only modification is a radio in the dash (hate it, will be removed and original metal welded in). It became like a ”game” over the course of 2 months trying to get all the details. I finally had enough information that I was willing to fly from Atlanta to Phoenix to see it. I asked for an address and over the course of a few emails Spike told me a GPS could not find his location. He told me the closest town and from there gave me a Google Earth map. At this point I did not know his name, address, and no phone. I told him if I were to buy it since it did not run a transport company would have to pick it up and they would want a phone contact. He agreed to give me his daughters phone who lived in Phoenix and visited twice a week. Still seemed like a strange situation but I continued the pursuit. I asked if we struck a deal how I would pay him. He said cash only. Since over 10k I told him I could not bring that much on the airplane. If I were stopped with that much they would take it from me thinking it was a drug deal. He then said when I got to the small town to cash a check. Frustrated I told him a town with one bank is not going to cash an out of town check. He finally relented to a wire transfer. But would not give me the title until funds had cleared. It almost seemed like a joke at this point. I flew to Phoenix telling my wife I was not sure where I was going and she may not see me again. I knew it was rural but the only rent a car I could get was a Toyota Avalon, no SUV’s. I left the airport and after 1.5 hours I was in the small town. My directions were turn left at the church onto Main Street, continue a short distance and turn right on a gravel road. This road had ruts for tires but the middle was high and I was sure I would rip the front bumper or oil pan off. I continued to a green gate which you followed the path at the side of the green gate. Now I knew that I would be buying the Toyota Avalon because it was going to be damaged. The road went straight up and I had to shift into low. Directions said to continue up but DO NOT go to the house with the red roof at the top of the half mile path. There were two posts to go though. Of course I missed the posts and continued to the DO NOT go to red roof house. I quickly turned around and started back down. Then I saw the two posts and turned through them. I just thought I was going up before, this was straight up all I could see was sky. Finally I reached the top. I saw a lot of travel trailer rv’s, a block house, a back hoe, a few cars in disrepair, and the 45 with flat tires. I had arrived. A fellow came walking up saying I guess you are here to look at the truck. I said yes and held out my hand and was told he had broken bones in his hands and could not shake. (have I mentioned it was 110 degrees). This person was Spike. He said he did not get along with people is the reason he moved up to the mountainside. No other houses were visible and he had 20 acres. He work jeans, long sleeve shirt, straw hat, gloves, and sadly a colostomy bag hung from his side. He told me he had cancer and started wanting to sell off things so his daughter would not have to deal with it. He said his prized possession was the FJ45 Truck. He bought it from a farm in Montana. It had 40,400 original miles. In 2004 the engine developed a knock and he parked it and that is where it sat. By this point I kind of felt sorry for him, as he turned out to be a really nice man. He said this was the one thing out of all he had, he hated to sell. When I told him of all the FJ’s I had owned and showed him the HJ45 I had restored he said I was the person that needed to have his truck. He used all the rv’s on the property to store “stuff” and parts. He told me he had lots of original parts manuals, pto’s, spare engine, parts to rebuild the original F engine all that came with it. I told him I would buy it. I tried to do a wire transfer on my phone but the cell service was spotty. I was comfortable enough that I told him when I returned home I would wire the money and for him to have his daughter send me the title. He showed me a lot of the parts and said he would load the big stuff on carpet in the bed of the truck and manuals etc.. inside. I could have talked to him all day but had a flight home to catch. By this time to my great pleasure we had become friends. I started down the mountain and headed to the airport. The car was absolutely filthy from all the dust. I was very relieved that everything went OK and I did not have to buy the Avalon too. Fast forward 1 month and I have the 45 home. It was tricky getting my transport guys to go and get it. I had to give them the detailed directions, a winch. They have transported for me many times before and only transport one vehicle at a time on a u-haul trailer. They were able to traverse the mountain side and bring it to me. I really had never seen the inside of the truck as he had it packed with quilts and cardboard to keep the sun out. I was pleasantly surprised to find it in great condition, again no rust.
Initially I was going to transplant in a 2F, 4-speed, 3.70 axles, and disc brakes. I have since changed my mind. Most all parts are there to rebuild the F engine so that is what I am going to do. I have never been a “patina” person, I am a restorer. However, the patina on this 45 has grown on me. I can always take it apart and restore the body later if I decide but for now it is going to be an original patina build.

**** I do have an album of pIctures that can be seen here: 1965 FJ45 Arizona / Montana - Chris Wade - https://chriswade.smugmug.com/FJ45

20A82BB5-EC8A-480B-AE41-E243AACDE721.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW! What a find. Sounds like you were THE guy meant to save this. I feel sad for the seller's condition. I have no doubt he is relieved that it went to you. I'm looking forward to the restoration.

Love the story and the truck. Hope you keep it original. Let the South American junk buckets be the shiny FJ45's, there is nothing better than a truck with a soul and character.

Nice to hear you are keeping stock. I am in process of restoring A 1965 FJ45 LWB. From here in Arizona. Can you supply the frame number or perhaps put it on the list as these are very rare at this point. You have probably found the last one in such a stock condition left in the USA.

Congrats ! While so many of these old girls were used and abused, every once in a while the story gets out of an old-timer who really treasured his truck and hates parting with it in his sunset years. Letting him hear of your work on it will surely brighten his day.

Nice to hear you are keeping stock. I am in process of restoring A 1965 FJ45 LWB. From here in Arizona. Can you supply the frame number or perhaps put it on the list as these are very rare at this point. You have probably found the last one in such a stock condition left in the USA.
Thanks. It has been added to the list.

I have restored many FJ40’s and owner 3 45’s. I restored an HJ45 15 years ago and recently sold it. I liked it a lot but always wished it was a US spec. I never thought I would have another one. Then I happened to run across “Spike” (named so because that was the former owners nickname). Another person had bought a car from Spike and listed the 45 for him. I asked him some questions and he said the owner had health issues and was only able to email, no phone calls or texts, he lived up a mountain “off the grid”. I contacted him by email with a ton of questions and only received a few answers. I sent more emails and still only a few answers to my questions. It is an all original 1965 LWB Truck, original paint, no rust, only modification is a radio in the dash (hate it, will be removed and original metal welded in). It became like a ”game” over the course of 2 months trying to get all the details. I finally had enough information that I was willing to fly from Atlanta to Phoenix to see it. I asked for an address and over the course of a few emails Spike told me a GPS could not find his location. He told me the closest town and from there gave me a Google Earth map. At this point I did not know his name, address, and no phone. I told him if I were to buy it since it did not run a transport company would have to pick it up and they would want a phone contact. He agreed to give me his daughters phone who lived in Phoenix and visited twice a week. Still seemed like a strange situation but I continued the pursuit. I asked if we struck a deal how I would pay him. He said cash only. Since over 10k I told him I could not bring that much on the airplane. If I were stopped with that much they would take it from me thinking it was a drug deal. He then said when I got to the small town to cash a check. Frustrated I told him a town with one bank is not going to cash an out of town check. He finally relented to a wire transfer. But would not give me the title until funds had cleared. It almost seemed like a joke at this point. I flew to Phoenix telling my wife I was not sure where I was going and she may not see me again. I knew it was rural but the only rent a car I could get was a Toyota Avalon, no SUV’s. I left the airport and after 1.5 hours I was in the small town. My directions were turn left at the church onto Main Street, continue a short distance and turn right on a gravel road. This road had ruts for tires but the middle was high and I was sure I would rip the front bumper or oil pan off. I continued to a green gate which you followed the path at the side of the green gate. Now I knew that I would be buying the Toyota Avalon because it was going to be damaged. The road went straight up and I had to shift into low. Directions said to continue up but DO NOT go to the house with the red roof at the top of the half mile path. There were two posts to go though. Of course I missed the posts and continued to the DO NOT go to red roof house. I quickly turned around and started back down. Then I saw the two posts and turned through them. I just thought I was going up before, this was straight up all I could see was sky. Finally I reached the top. I saw a lot of travel trailer rv’s, a block house, a back hoe, a few cars in disrepair, and the 45 with flat tires. I had arrived. A fellow came walking up saying I guess you are here to look at the truck. I said yes and held out my hand and was told he had broken bones in his hands and could not shake. (have I mentioned it was 110 degrees). This person was Spike. He said he did not get along with people is the reason he moved up to the mountainside. No other houses were visible and he had 20 acres. He work jeans, long sleeve shirt, straw hat, gloves, and sadly a colostomy bag hung from his side. He told me he had cancer and started wanting to sell off things so his daughter would not have to deal with it. He said his prized possession was the FJ45 Truck. He bought it from a farm in Montana. It had 40,400 original miles. In 2004 the engine developed a knock and he parked it and that is where it sat. By this point I kind of felt sorry for him, as he turned out to be a really nice man. He said this was the one thing out of all he had, he hated to sell. When I told him of all the FJ’s I had owned and showed him the HJ45 I had restored he said I was the person that needed to have his truck. He used all the rv’s on the property to store “stuff” and parts. He told me he had lots of original parts manuals, pto’s, spare engine, parts to rebuild the original F engine all that came with it. I told him I would buy it. I tried to do a wire transfer on my phone but the cell service was spotty. I was comfortable enough that I told him when I returned home I would wire the money and for him to have his daughter send me the title. He showed me a lot of the parts and said he would load the big stuff on carpet in the bed of the truck and manuals etc.. inside. I could have talked to him all day but had a flight home to catch. By this time to my great pleasure we had become friends. I started down the mountain and headed to the airport. The car was absolutely filthy from all the dust. I was very relieved that everything went OK and I did not have to buy the Avalon too. Fast forward 1 month and I have the 45 home. It was tricky getting my transport guys to go and get it. I had to give them the detailed directions, a winch. They have transported for me many times before and only transport one vehicle at a time on a u-haul trailer. They were able to traverse the mountain side and bring it to me. I really had never seen the inside of the truck as he had it packed with quilts and cardboard to keep the sun out. I was pleasantly surprised to find it in great condition, again no rust.
Initially I was going to transplant in a 2F, 4-speed, 3.70 axles, and disc brakes. I have since changed my mind. Most all parts are there to rebuild the F engine so that is what I am going to do. I have never been a “patina” person, I am a restorer. However, the patina on this 45 has grown on me. I can always take it apart and restore the body later if I decide but for now it is going to be an original patina build.

**** I am passing the time writing this on an airplane. I will add pictures soon. I do have an album of pIctures that can be seen here: 1965 FJ45 Arizona / Montana - Chris Wade - https://chriswade.smugmug.com/FJ45

View attachment 3091148
What a cool story.!

Looking at all the photos you have, was the owner going to restore it or were they just parts collected ? I would do just as you if I owned it, stock and nice patina. Really tells a story.

Awesome find, including the original RK3 spare, tool roll, jack and many other treasures (seems you even got 2 early battery hold-downs, which are hard to find). Congratulations

I found a 1983 FJ60 parts car. Has all running gear, axles, etc.. For a moment I thought about upgrading my new FJ45. However, still leaning towards keeping it all stock.

The drive to modify these vehicles amazes me. What you have is a piece of history and whether you keep patina OR restore it to as new with stock parts would be to me the best thing to do. Even your first post mentioned your feelings of cutting the dash for a radio. I agree.
There is a market for fully modded FJXX's like FJ CO is doing, but, the rarity of finding one like you have seems it should live as it was. My opinion so please do as you like as we all have opinions.

Chris like you and I have discussed. There are Land Cruisers’s like my fj45 that I feel modifying will not hurt the value. Reason it’s not all original. Missing drivetrain and other original components. Yours is special. All original and untouched. So, I will try to tastefully modify mine while keeping its original look. Yours should be left alone. A good f rebuild will hum at highway speeds if needed. You are not going to cruise 80 mph on an across the country road trip for weeks at a time. Sure it would run better with a diesel, fuel injected v8, ect…. However, should that be done? That is the real question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom