1965 LPB - Been A Long Time Coming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unoman

SILVER Star
Threads
Ever since I joined MUD in 2008, I’ve always wanted a 45. I set a goal of owning a 45 by the time I turned 45. Missed my goal by 3 months but I’ll still count it! I kind of wrote off ever owning one but this popped up a few weeks ago and it matches my 72 FJ40. Sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and go for it…and that is what I did! I took delivery on Saturday of this old girl. VIN: FJ45520410

Very solid rig that has lived its life in the Southwest. Body is very straight and I’m shocked how great of condition the bed is in. Floors, rockers, corners, chassis…everything is solid.

The F runs great. Has a Weber carb but the OG SD40 came with it. All electrics work except the wipers and horn. It’s been repainted at some point but at least they kept the color original.

As with any old rig, it’s needs “things.” The column shift has got to go. It grinds between 1st and 2nd and is in general, just clunky. My floor shift 3 speed in my 40 is much smoother. Front brakes need adjusting as the front left wheel will lock up. I see a disc brake conversion in the future. Would really love to drop in a 2F and 4 speed or H55(I have one sitting in the shop with split case). Question is, do I cut the hole and find a 3 speed floor shift conversion or go ahead and do the 4 or 5 speed route. I don’t want to cut a bunch or holes.

Suspension is in dire need of an upgrade. The front leafs are riding on the bumpstops.
It needs seatbelts. Not sure it ever came with any. I know the eyebolts can be hard to come by but do y’all know of any suitable alternatives?

IMG_6484.jpeg

IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

IMG_6487.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

Congrats! That's the 45 that was in AZ, right? I had communicated with the PO and was planning to look at it when I travel to Tucson next month. Anyhow, congrats.

It sounds like you're starting with something similar to my '65 45. I've upgraded the suspension and am in the midst of adding a rebuilt F, 4 speed, disc brake front, and PS. My thread is here: '64 SWB and '65 LWB 45 Irish twins - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/64-swb-and-65-lwb-45-irish-twins.1299103/. I would definitely get rid of that 3 speed. Mine has seat belts, but I'm not sure if they were original or not.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Congrats! That's the 45 that was in AZ, right? I had communicated with the PO and was planning to look at it when I travel to Tucson next month. Anyhow, congrats.

It sounds like you're starting with something similar to my '65 45. I've upgraded the suspension and am in the midst of adding a rebuilt F, 4 speed, disc brake front, and PS. My thread is here: '64 SWB and '65 LWB 45 Irish twins - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/64-swb-and-65-lwb-45-irish-twins.1299103/. I would definitely get rid of that 3 speed. Mine has seat belts, but I'm not sure if they were original or not.

Looking forward to following your progress.
Thanks! Yes, this is the same rig from AZ. Do you have plans for the 3 speed top plate and shifter you are taking out?

No; I take it you're interested in it? Also have a clutch cover for the bellhousing if you need one of those.

No; I take it you're interested in it? Also have a clutch cover for the bellhousing if you need one of those.
I'd buy it off you. I don't mind the 3 speed trans, just don't like the column shift.

I'd buy it off you. I don't mind the 3 speed trans, just don't like the column shift.
Great 45. Column shift is one of my favorite parts about these old trucks! Be sure to post up your takeout parts in the classifieds, there are folks searching for to parts to convert back to column shift from time to time. Congrats on hitting your goal of owning a 45, look forward to seeing your adventures here!

Nice find! She's a creampuff!

Great 45. Column shift is one of my favorite parts about these old trucks! Be sure to post up your takeout parts in the classifieds, there are folks searching for to parts to convert back to column shift from time to time. Congrats on hitting your goal of owning a 45, look forward to seeing your adventures here!
A lot of folks seem to really like the columns shift. Not sure if that is nostalgia talking or a true appreciation for it versus floor shift. Mine grinds between 1st and 2nd. I know 1st gear is not syncho meshed but it shouldn't grind when upshifting. I'm sure it needs some adjustment or perhaps its just operator error. I haven't had time to take a good hard look at it yet. I adjusted the slave pushrod but now I need to take a closer look at the fingers on the pressure plate.

A lot of folks seem to really like the columns shift. Not sure if that is nostalgia talking or a true appreciation for it versus floor shift. Mine grinds between 1st and 2nd. I know 1st gear is not syncho meshed but it shouldn't grind when upshifting. I'm sure it needs some adjustment or perhaps its just operator error. I haven't had time to take a good hard look at it yet. I adjusted the slave pushrod but now I need to take a closer look at the fingers on the pressure plate.
Nostalgia for sure. Some day (hopefully before I reach ae 45) I'll own an early 45 with a column shift and it'll stay column shift with a 4 on the tree H42 swap.

Congratulations on finding what looks to be an excellent specimen. Enjoy it!

That scamp would look pretty sweet tagging along behind the old gal as well.

Congratulations on finding what looks to be an excellent specimen. Enjoy it!

That scamp would look pretty sweet tagging along behind the old gal as well.
That’s the plan! It is easily towed given how lite it is. The F in my 72 40 has no issues

IMG_3103.jpeg

Made some incremental progress on the 45 yesterday. I had an issue with the front left wheel, locking up when turned just right and while taking off from a start. I thought brake wheel cylinder, but it turns out the wheel bearings were so loose it was binding up. Tightened both sides up, adjusted brakes and was happy to see the wheel cylinders look fresh. A former PO painted the drums …added 2hp 😮‍💨 Disc brake is eventually being swapped in.

Next up was pulling the fuel tank for minor repairs. It weeps along one of the seams. Otherwise I was very pleased to see how solid the tank and tub are. Spent 10 min cleaning one section on the rear wall. This should all clean up very nice. A PO painted the floor with some sort of heavy, rolled on paint. A little scrubbing and I was able to get down to the OG blue.

This is my first adventure into an early series 45, so please excuse me if some of my questions sound elementary. What are folks doing for clutch master and brake master?? My clutch master looks original an it’s time for an upgrade! Once the disc brake axle is in, I’ll be going dual MC.

IMG_6515.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

IMG_6520.jpeg

IMG_6521.jpeg

IMG_6523.jpeg

IMG_6518.jpeg

Last edited:
If you go to front discs, you'll need to get a space adapter (Mark @65swb45 has them on his website) to put the brake booster far enough away from the firewall that it avoids the rib on the firewall. When you do that, then the back of the booster will hit the original clutch MC, so you'll need to install a later model clutch MC that isn't as long. Also, the spacer, booster and brake MC stick out far enough that they can begin to interfere with the carb. It's very doable, but also an adventure.

Cheers!

If you go to front discs, you'll need to get a space adapter (Mark @65swb45 has them on his website) to put the brake booster far enough away from the firewall that it avoids the rib on the firewall. When you do that, then the back of the booster will hit the original clutch MC, so you'll need to install a later model clutch MC that isn't as long. Also, the spacer, booster and brake MC stick out far enough that they can begin to interfere with the carb. It's very doable, but also an adventure.

Cheers!
I have a 1966 Chevy II Nova that has a front disc brake conversion. No booster. Stops fine...ya just have to really push your foot down. A booster is not totally necessary, correct? I don't have braking issues in the Nova but I also have never driven Cruiser without a booster until this one.

Saweeet! I posted this 45 as soon as I found it on FB here hoping someone from here would purchase it!!!

Stoked for you! Knowing what I know now I wish I would have purchased running 45’s for just slightly more than I spent for non running 45’s.

Saweeet! I posted this 45 as soon as I found it on FB here hoping someone from here would purchase it!!!

Stoked for you! Knowing what I know now I wish I would have purchased running 45’s for just slightly more than I spent for non running 45’s.
Hey thanks! I’m happy with the purchase and although there are things to be sorted out, it’s much further along compared to others I’ve seen. Great bones and a perfect foundation to build a solid driver out of…or fully restore but that’s not what I’m into

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom