Something's cookin under the hood.. and it sure smells good! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
While in Moab I developed an affinity for engine-baked burritos. Wes & Perry showed me the ways with the foil, and the technique made for some very tasty trailside treats. The downside was I was always a little preoccupied about the burritos falling out (I think Wes' BJ had one burrito casualty that week..), plus I kept worrying about cheese or something dripping into the distributor or something. You can cook 1 burrito very well wedged between the valve cover and that hook thing used to yank your engine up, but any more than that become incrementally sketchier, as they must be wedged between other wires & hoses.

Then while discovering a new leak in my sprinkler system this weekend :mad: , I uncovered a grill accessory that I haven't used in years. It was at that moment that lightning struck :idea: , so I quickly ran downstairs to shut the sprinkler water off, and diverted my attention to working on the truck. It's a rotissorie rack for the spit on the grill, I cooked salmon in it once 4 years ago but it turned into a real mess, so the thing found its home in this storage box out on the deck that also houses the sprinkler backflow valve.

Had some long bolts from something else laying around, that threaded nicely into some existing tapped holes in the engine. Used some nuts as "jack nuts" to secure the bolts, then some other nuts & washers to secure the rack. Had an old oven thermeter I was using to monitor my wood stove.. well that stove will be off until November so it too got donated to the more urgent cause.

Yesterday's run was the debut of the new cooker, and I must say it performed quite well. Held 6 burritos very nicely, and the thermometer showed around 175 degrees F all day. The highest I saw it was 200, checking right away after driving over an hour to meet up at the meeting place.. and the lowest it got all day was about 130, after the engine was shut off for an hour while we were all digging snow.

Next plan is to figure out how to catch & contain grease, so I can start doing more elaborate meat dishes.. I think a roast or tenderloin would do quite well in there, and would provide a nice finishing touch to this year's night run. But for now, I'm content with burritos, as they sure hit the spot! :cheers:
nak_engine_cooker.jpg

Last edited:
That just cracks me up..:D

I love it!

There used to be this great book out there on engine cooking (there was a much better name than this) - filled with recipes and how-tos, etc. I think it's out of print though. Anybody remember??

I like your setup. Another meaning to your straight-6 -

I think the cookbook was titled "Manifold Destiny"

mmmm....intake burritos

Hey Nak,

Now that U have the broiler done how about cooking up those capes we talked about.....:D

ROTFLMAO!

I had to print that pic out to show the wife (she generally won't get anywhere near me when I am on Mud).

wow, that guy had to be drinkin! :D :D

that's it, Manifold Destiny, I should pick up a copy. And I'm going to resist the urge to post a pic of the oven light, while I've still got half an ounce of credibility here.. :) Romer the LX version will have an in-cab thermometer. And Dan, you know it's much more fun to work on these dweeb mods, then to actually do something substantial... don't worry there are some gears turning upstairs for you too sir.

Romer said:
Tim, you have waaaaayyyyy too much time on your hands!
humm. it dosent seem that way. if you dont mind me saying, hes not the one with almost 2,500 posts. so again WHO has to much time on their hands? id rather be under the hood with something creative then looking at a computer screen.

Nicely done with a touch of Red Green.

Just when I think that you guys can't get any stupider....

You go and totally redeem yourself!!
What a great idea, I love it! :D :D

Definitely like the idea. Makes for a less messy engine and burito. Tim, was thinking about it later, you could probably cook a mean salmon in there ;) ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom