Something's cookin under the hood.. and it sure smells good! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE:
Tim cooked a roast on the trail last night... Pretty darn good :grinpimp: I even heard of chicken wings as the next possible item on the menu :cheers:

Tim, The next mod needs to be a roach coach horn ;p

The roast was darn tasty.. though it was a little undercooked. With how cold it was up there, I think I hit the limit of under-hood temp, and she topped out at about 118 degrees F. Here's the temp data..

17:00, 35 deg. direct from fridge, cold engine
18:00, 64 deg.
19:00, 96 deg
20:00, 114 deg
20:45, 118 deg... let's eat.

But sliced up then tossed on the grill for a minute per side made it just perfect. yeah, I think we'll do wings next night run, I'll boil them first so no one gets hurt ;) .

pic of the temp gage, and pic of the roast in the rack... :popcorn:

edit: damn that red dirt... it's everywhere!!!
nak_temp.jpg
nak_roast.jpg

so you had the engine running most of the time?

That is awesome. Next thing ya know is someone (and I think it's been done but not 100% sure) will build a rear bumper with multiple compartments for different beverages to go into.

Yeah, thanks Tim for the Roast! I think maybe if you had just another hour it would ben perfect.

I like my beef rare but thats the first roast I had to lasso first! :flipoff2: Seriously, it was awesome! I have no doubt warmer ambiant temps or even longer cook time would have yielded gormet quality roast beast! Great job gadget master...a great feed for sure! :cheers:

So thanks tim for this great idea(and cheap :) ). Looking forward to sunday to do some mad cooking with ya :cheers:
snackster 002A.jpg

I think it has been said, but I will say it again... you guys have WAAAAYYYY too much time on your hands. Is all your PM list done and nothing else to do but to cook food on top of the exhaust manifold?

Next thing you know, the ih8mud cookbook will come out and then all our wifes, girlfriends and significant others will truly think we are slightly above neanderthal IQ... hey wait a minute... that cook book, with instructions on how to set up the 1FZ-FE grille would be priceless...

Then all the 3FE rollers would be pissed because their motor doesn't generate enough heat (power) to brown a marshmellow.

I would buy it... start taking pics!

The irony is it's actually about saving time... the grills are quick & easy to install, then you're done. And all that time you spend driving gets turned into potential cooking time, the true spirit of multi-tasking. Perry & I have have run a lot of trails together this year.. and having hot food at the ready just makes the day that much better. You can hop out & grab a burrito in as much time as it takes to stop & turn the hubs.. then you're ready to hop back in and keep going while others on the run are still rummaging through their fridges looking for the mayo. :) Imagine getting to the camp site, and by the time you have the tent set up the :princess: has already got the roast out of the oven and dinner's ready..

Oh, I'm thinking doing a box of those "taquitos" from Costco for Sunday.. with guac & salsa dip. Figure since we're taking the Forest Service along we may as well class it up a bit.. :rolleyes: :popcorn:

Last edited:
Once I figured out where to mount it, it took about 10 minutes to install. Was hoping i'd have enough room just above the exhaust, but the distributer got in the way. Jeremiah P. got me hooked on the engine burritos. First i'd just throw them on the manifold, only downside was they'd get a little greasey. Thats why I like this so much. Yeah Tim, I still need to go out and look for something good to cook on Sunday. Just havent had much time to latley. Maybe tomarow night. Think this is half the reason why i'm so excited about going on sunday.

How about some install pics?

Would an autometer water or oil guage work as a meat thermo?

I saw a little piece they did on this once on Good Morning America like 10 or 15 years ago.. Seemed to work great.. not as well if you're doing any crawling though. I remember them cooking things like chicken, beef, and basically a full course meal.

Houston FZJ80 said:

Yes, though Greddy makes a much better gauge.
-B-

Houston FZJ80 said:
Why not just use one of those wireless transmitter deals? You plug the meat prob into your food, run the wire to the front bumper. Connect it do the transmitter which you have magnetically stuck to your front bumper. It transmits to the readout/display unit inside the rig.

They run about $20 at any home/kitchen store.

IMO, no need to overcomplicate.

bh4rnnr said:
So thanks tim for this great idea(and cheap :) ). Looking forward to sunday to do some mad cooking with ya :cheers:
What's the best location for the rack? That rack looks nice but I think you'd get more heat on the other side (PS) of the engine block.

I don't know which side would actually be better...is there a prefered location?

Still looking for the finished Ribs pics

I find this humorous and a bit humbling. As a kid we drove 10 wheeled spud trucks during the harvests and a big block chevy would support 4 burritos on the intake manifold.

Ours were typically the 4 for a dollar ones so I'm a bit curious, are you buying the frozen variety? How often do you turn them?
During a typical 30 minute run you quite often burnt one side.

And I thought only in Idaho ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom