Someone Talk Me Out of Getting An FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
So full disclosure here. My current daily driver is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. 4 inch lift, 295/75R16 on stock wheels, 6-speed manual transmission. I currently put some 65 miles a day on it 4 times a week going back and forth to work. Now while I really like this truck, I find myself constantly drawn to the Toyota FJ wagons. I just love the toughness of the leaf sprung suspension, heavy frame, classic looks, and the seeming simplicity and function of these trucks. I have read up a little on the fj60/fj62 strengths and drawbacks but am no expert. My current ride offers some modern features which I like (A/C, more powerful fuel injected engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, Dana 44 axles front and rear, factory lockers, U-joints versus birfields/CV joints, etc.). Plus I have it modded out with a setup I finally deem pretty well-equipped (CB radio, winch, rear tire/gas can carrier, various charging ports, BT stereo, etc.). I originally bought it to travel some of the back roads around southwestern Colorado where my family has some property, as well as to use as a daily on my commute back in Texas. It serves both purposes quite well and has enough power the way its setup to get around on both the highway and the trail. Its a great ride most folks would be happy with. Not fast, but will get you where you are going. So with all that said, why would I want to trade it out for an FJ60? Am I nuts here? When I bought the Jeep I wanted an FJ60 but my wife deemed it not practical at the time, so I 'settled' for the Rubicon. After thousands of miles and many trails it has gotten me through without fail, I have grown to really love it. But I still have this bug for an FJ60 that I simply have not been able to shake for the last 10+ years and there seems to be only one cure. Why would I make that trade when I already have a great running vehicle, especially with the way Toyota FJ60s pricing has skyrocketed into the 'really does not make fiscal sense' category. Prices in my area are in the $17,000 - $20,000 + range. That sort of cash is pretty hard to justify for an unrestored stock vehicle considering all the limitations the FJ60 has. And yet I am still considering it.

Taking into account the FJ bias found here, and counting on the years of combined experience with Toyota FJ Wagons this forum offers for guidance, can anyone talk me out of getting an FJ60 versus keeping my Rubicon? Or should I just bite the bullet and get it done? Maybe someone who has owned both could comment. Thanks in advance for the help.

Signed-

Conflicted

Obviously you want one and it's not just a passing fancy. I say buy one that looks like it will have good resale value. Drive it for a bit without making any modifications to it and make up your mind. If it's not what your fantasy wished it to be, sell it. Who knows? You might make a little profit.

Good condition FJ60s are easy to sell.
Gotta remember that the car will be 20 years older than your jeep with an engine design 60 years older than your jeep.

I have learned the hard way many times over that the idea of something I really wanted and had to have was quickly outweighed by the reality of it. I would strongly encourage you to test drive a stock 60/62, a slightly modified 60/62, and 80 series, and a 100 before spending that kind of cash. You probably will get your answer then.

Keep the Jeep. Buy a 60. You will miss the nimbleness, comfort and power of the Jeep. I have a JKU Rubicon, a FJ40 and an FJ60 so I have to say that I love them all. The Rubicon is the best performer on road and off...and it is the most comfortable as well.

My 4 door Rubicon has the 3.8 minivan engine, auto trans and 35" tires and still it will run circles around either of my 'cruisers. The cruisers are.......really...............that......................slow. It's painful how slow they are. Having said that, my cruisers are 30+ years old and they still run fine. The Jeep will be lucky to live half that long, especially with the oil guzzlin', bearing slingin', ring tossin' 3.8!

Last edited:
I have learned the hard way many times over that the idea of something I really wanted and had to have was quickly outweighed by the reality of it. I would strongly encourage you to test drive a stock 60/62, a slightly modified 60/62, and 80 series, and a 100 before spending that kind of cash. You probably will get your answer then.

I have also learned the same lesson, which is why I am so conflicted here. I fear the idea of this will be outweighed by its daily reality. And yet I keep coming back to the idea.

I failed to mention I have driven a 62, but it was in pretty rough shape, so prolly not a good example to use for decision making. I had cash on me to make an offer but it was much more of a project than the guy let on or I had time for. So I have gotten that close in the past. There is a 60 I am eyeballing currently, so I think I am going to try and make time to test drive it. Guy wants over $20,000 for it though so prolly not in the cards. But perhaps a good example of what they are like to drive. I am pretty sure I would be fine with the slowness and lack of power, as my Jeep has both of those. But agreed a proper test drive is in order.

Depends on your budget. Are you planning on dumping all of the money you get for the Heep into a 60/62? You can get a really nice one for $20k that's well sorted and has everything you want. Get one with a V8 if the whole being slow thing scares you. I have the 5 speed manual on mine with the 2F engine and am able to drive 75 mph and pass people at ~2500 rpms with relative ease. I also get 10 mpg because of the way I drive.

If you look hard enough and long enough, you can find a good deal on a decent truck for near $10k. The money spend base-lining it and adding whatever extras you want will keep you at a lower price point.

I would look for a restored one with a ls motor. A nice one should cost you around 25k, will have good power, and be good for commuting too. In addition resale value will increase as opposed to the Jeep that will decrease. Of course I'm sure you'll have additional mods u will want to do, but a v8 and no rust would big my recommendation to shoot for. If you get one with a 2f that's a lot of highway driving you do and will push the 2f hard. It will do it, but I would get a la motor.

If you want a little bit of a project, find a 60 or 62 that needs work and start the adventure, if you like to work on your own vehicles. They can be found for fairly cheap. That way you can keep your J*** for daily driving and fix up the Toyota for fun weekends and occasional trips to work. The J*** may be more practical, but it will never give you feelings that driving one of these old girls will:steer::).

U can also get a right hand drive diesel 60 for anywhere between 15k to who knows what...

It's hard to put a price on the enjoyed experience of driving a vehicle you really love. It's much easier to account for real cost of ownership. (Hint; your wife is correct.) It's also hard to put a price on the enjoyed experience of keeping your wife happy.

Some things to consider:
If you have to hire a shop to do the maintenance, an old car is a bad idea.
If you don't have a garage and at least a moderate tool box, an old car is a bad idea.
If you do not have a spare vehicle for when it breaks, an old car is a bad idea.
If your schedule demands faultless transportation, an old car is a bad idea.
A Land Cruiser isn't just any 'old car' and, if well taken care of, can be as dependable as most new cars.
When you buy a Land Cruiser it probably won't be 'well taken care of' and you will spend thousands of dollars and a couple of years to get it 'well taken care of'.

I sold an immaculate Honda Accord to have an '89 FJ-62 as my daily driver and I haven't regretted it for a second.

It's hard to put a price on the enjoyed experience of driving a vehicle you really love. It's much easier to account for real cost of ownership. (Hint; your wife is correct.) It's also hard to put a price on the enjoyed experience of keeping your wife happy.

Some things to consider:
If you have to hire a shop to do the maintenance, an old car is a bad idea.
If you don't have a garage and at least a moderate tool box, an old car is a bad idea.
If you do not have a spare vehicle for when it breaks, an old car is a bad idea.
A Land Cruiser isn't just any 'old car' and, if well taken care of, can be as dependable as most new cars.
When you buy a Land Cruiser it probably won't be 'well taken care of' and you will spend thousands of dollars and a couple of years to get it 'well taken care of'.

I sold an immaculate Honda Accord to have an '89 FJ-62 as my daily driver and I haven't regretted it for a second.

If it is to be your only car, get used to being forced to work on it on a Tuesday, in the rain, without any light, before your date.

It is an old car, you don't get to pick and choose when you work on it sometimes, but if you are at good a spinning a wrench and can identify the weakpoints early on, fix those and you will have a solid rig. Most issues can be limped on to get you home.

It's a slow pig, eats gas like none other, but of all the other cars I have owned, it is probably the most fun overall. The 911 and skyline were fun almost all the time, except for when wanting to go camping.

Hell I'd sell my 62 for $20k in heart beat. Just throwing that out there, lol.

IMG_1613.JPG

For enlightment a 60 with an LS/Diesel you should drive.........
Bet you won't miss your ***p
Any 6X series on its stock form requires a special type of individual, and loads of devotion/ commitment to keep these rigs on the road...as many here have shown on them forums......

I wouldn't sell you mine for any kind of $$

For $22k you can have mine... in almost perfectly restored condition.

IMG_9128.JPG

Seriously though, you could sleep on it for another 10 years and always wonder what could have been if you would have just had the courage to ask your high school crush, Amanda.. (you know the hot cheerleader with the big hair) out on a date... but you didn't. You decided on the safe girl. Now you have three kids and she wears mom jeans and blends in with the other soccer moms on Saturday... but no one looks at her and tells you how hot she is. On the other hand, she's dependable and loyal, but there's a million other moms just like her. You walk past them at the grocery store and you don't even look. You're always going to fantasize about Amanda.

Much wisdom in the above comments.

Using $20k for a "budget" number for this whole transaction, this is what I would think about doing.

1.) Buy the newest corolla/civic/etc. you can get for 1/3 of what you can sell the JK for.
2.) Sell the JK.
3.) Buy the least rusty 60 you can find for another third.
4.) Use the remaining third for baseline service work/parts.
5.) Drive it and see what else you want to do with it..

My reasoning is even a $20k + "restoration" or "nice V8 swap" is going to have many components which are still 30 years old and will require attention. If you can't swing having another vehicle, I hope you have tools, patience, a good place to work and an understanding significant other.

I like my old junk; I enjoy driving it, and I enjoy working on it. I don't however relish the thought of having to work on it to get to work..Thats when you get burned out and are tempted to go into the nearest dealership and sign 72 months away.

See a common theme? Sell the Jeep and move onto better things.
All you guys pushing your 20K+ fj60s, good luck!

60 series land cruiser wagons, either carbed or injected, are old, slow, stinky, unable to pass smog, barely able to hold up their own weight from the rust, and they only thing they do worse than go forward is stop...

once you get one home, it'll stain your driveway with front axle greasoil, piss a tire flat, and drain the very last amp hour from the battery costing you the next weekend going to the tire shop, tossing out your back removing the battery, trying to scrub the stench of death from your pants after cleaning the hazardous waste spill off your driveway, getting yelled at for screwing up the weekends plans and buyin that POS rust bucket which you obviously love more than me....and posting up on mud only to be told to use search and buy Toyota Brand head gaskets only or else the rear pinion will seize up, and your 2 year old baby will give birth to puppies with 6 tails...and that's just the first weekend/.....yeah, it's a special kinda hate that drives a man to buy a 60 series land cruiser...

Wise words. I'll add to that list:

If you work 5 days a week, owning an old cruiser that needs a lot of work which is your only car and daily driver is an exceedingly bad idea.

Unless the cruiser has been restored, having it as your only vehicle is a bad idea.

The thing about these 30+ year old cruisers is that simply turning a rusty bolt can sometimes snowball into a full tear down of the engine compartment due to mission creep. If the whole thing hasn't been restored, everything is literally clinging together by rust & grime & threads
A rough second hand FJ60 should be seen as a second project/weekend car. Not your only primary vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom