SAS Solid Axle Summit #5 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Color Choices for SAS #5 Shirt and Trail Flags

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm currently in Austin for the summer. My dad will probably be heading down on Sunday with his cruiser.
Yeah I got the KOA site starting on Sunday. I was thinking Saturday morning head that way. Do Tin Cup and find a place to crash that night. Gotta break that long drive with some fun 😆

Last edited:
Hey all we are bailing this year too. My in-laws are getting up there in age and we are going to Washington Island to hang with them before it’s to late at the time SAS is happening. @POTATO LAUNCHER said he might know someone that wants our camp spot before we cancel it. -Daniel Kent

I’m looking for a spot in the KOA and would be down to share with a few trucks if there’s others still looking as well.

I haven't been looking forward to making this post... but unfortunately the grill badges will not be ready in time to be distributed in Ouray.

This year has been extra crazy with a big surge in work after the elections that kept me from getting them made early in the year. The shop I work at has also been in the process of moving from California to Idaho. The move was originally planned for March, but due to some significant delays with contractors at the new shop, our move got pushed to late June/early July. Between overtime at work, 1HZ swapping my 60, and looking for a house in a different state, there just hasn't been enough time to get the badges made.

I talked with @POTATO LAUNCHER and @CenTXFJ60 the other day to see what they wanted to do, and it seemed the consensus was to wait until a little later in the year when things settle down after moving to get them made.

Agree totally with Casey. When it’s good for you…it will be good for us.👍🎯👍

Like Phoenix rising from the ashes. We can rebuild it, make it better, stronger, faster......
Like Steve Austin, the six-million dollar man? today it'd be about six-BILLION.

Alright, I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask this…

My cousin and I will likely be heading out early Saturday morning in our 2 450s and making the drive over a couple of days. Because we’ll be leaving Saturday we’ll be missing the big central Texas caravan to Casey’s.

Does anyone have any suggestions on best route to take and/or where to stay the night along the way?

Are you wanting most direct or the scenic route?

Most direct probably since we’ll want to be there Sunday night, right? The maps says that it’ll take us a little over 16 hours.

Through Albuquerque then North on 550 is the most direct. Beware the long uphill out of Durango is very long, it is very scenic however. I-25 to Pueblo then West on 50 you get Monarch Pass to conquer. Either route is about the same.

Most direct probably since we’ll want to be there Sunday night, right? The maps says that it’ll take us a little over 16 hours.
I make a similar version of this trip several times a year with the family and dogs. Usually stay in Santa Fe on day one, get there in time for a nice dinner if leave early enough in a.m. Prefer Santa Fe to ABQ and also like the drive out of there better the second morning. Go up through Chama, to Pagosa Springs, then over to Durango and hit 550 there up to Ouray. Just spectacular. Your second day is short and can get into camp in the early afternoon Sunday.

In Santa Fe, dinner at The Shed (walk in) and stay at Las Palomas. All pretty easy and nothing too fancy.

16hrs sounds like a one day trip to me:hillbilly:
I have been known for making 10-hour trips into 16 hours trips all it takes is having wondering eyes and mind for where dirt roads go...

Hey all, first year making it to SAS and wanted to post this before I cancel one spot I'm not using at the KOA. I am currently booked for spot 46 that I will be using but I also have a tent spot in the front that has power and water. I told the host yesterday I would post here to see if any of you guys want it before I cancel my spare. Shoot me a note and we can coordinate the spot transfer with them.

Hey all, first year making it to SAS and wanted to post this before I cancel one spot I'm not using at the KOA. I am currently booked for spot 46 that I will be using but I also have a tent spot in the front that has power and water. I told the host yesterday I would post here to see if any of you guys want it before I cancel my spare. Shoot me a note and we can coordinate the spot transfer with them.
You just tossed a fat steak into the lion's pin at the zoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom