SAS Solid Axle Summit #5 Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Color Choices for SAS #5 Shirt and Trail Flags

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Long drive today in the Georgia heat showed me I really need to clean out the radiator, condenser and intercooler. Lots of mud running in the last few months and 70mph temps were 200-206.
Yikes. Even when it is 116 here and pulling the mountain grade to flagstaff I don’t see those temps. When washing the radiator I spray water from the fan side outward to get the best results.

This just in. Know your vehicles abilities and your mental capacity before attempting unknown roads.

20210618_170216.jpg

I swear this happens at least once a year in Colorado. Last year it was up by Denver when I-70 was shut down.

Hey that guy would've been awesome if he didn't need to stop at every rock that was bigger than 8" and have the whole family get out to do an assessment on the angle of approach. I think Tim walked the equivalent of Engineer Pass 4 times between walking up to tell the guy how to take the angle, walking down to watch, then walking back to explain it to him again, and walking back down.
20200803_211119.jpg

Yessir, day one rescue of a family in a stock Tahoe completely lost in the darkening trail system. We got them down with zero damage and a respect for what we do for fun.

Definitely beer 30 after returning to camp that day. Oh wait yeah Tim and myself were only at camp for 30 mins before you and John took us out. So I had to still set camp up when we got back. 🙃 great memorable day for my 1st day cherry at SAS.

Definitely beer 30 after returning to camp that day. Oh wait yeah Tim and myself were only at camp for 30 mins before you and John took us out. So I had to still set camp up when we got back. 🙃 great memorable day for my 1st day cherry at SAS.
And you hadn't rolled your Cruiser yet. Good day for sure.

The Tahoe driver's missus was much happier in that picture than she was in the preceding few hours. I'd be interested to know if they jumped to Lexus after that experience.

Having never been to this part of the world, am I going to be wishing I had lockers?

This thing is more about good people, good views, and good times. Lockers are totally unnecessary for the vast majority of what we'll be driving through.

Having never been to this part of the world, am I going to be wishing I had lockers?
I have done all of the trails in both of my Cruisers that are not locked. Did all of Black Bear and Ophir last year in 2WD low without issue. (Don't forget to lock your hubs)
Things I highly recommend are:
1.Fire Extinguisher
2. Good brakes
3. Recovery gear and knowledge to use it
4. Trail comms GMRS/ FRS
5. FIRE EXTINGUISHER 🔥
6. First aid kit
7. A great attitude that is willing to help and or take direction from experienced trail leaders.

Things I highly recommend are:
1.Fire Extinguisher
2. Good brakes
3. Recovery gear and knowledge to use it
4. Trail comms GMRS/ FRS
5. FIRE EXTINGUISHER 🔥
6. First aid kit
7. A great attitude that is willing to help and or take direction from experienced trail leaders.
Midland is having a flash sale on this 5 watt GMRS. Several of us use this model and recommend it. Not sure how long the sale will last so act quickly.
8FCC0D63-B531-434A-BECC-7D98992E8A70.jpeg

I can only think of 1 obstacle where I put my locker on. It was raining and super slick. That being said, If I didnt have a locker, I still would have rallied up this, but maybe not as smoothly. And you certainly can bypass this is you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom