So I want an FJ 40 but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What path did you take in life to perfect your skills? I have two boys 13 and 15 that are curious about this after I shared your thread with them.

What path did you take in life to perfect your skills? I have two boys 13 and 15 that are curious about this after I shared your thread with them.

Man, I honestly went around the world. In high school I did the automotive votech class. Can't say that really helped me here. From there I was a computer software engineer for about 13 years. I swore I would never get my hands dirty again. Saying things like that really make you eat your words. Then about 13 years ago I started making jeep parts in my garage only to fund my jeep rock crawler project. I gave a lot away also. It grew over the first 3 years that I had to pick one because I was writing software from 8-5 then building parts from 6 -2AM, I couldn't do both. I made the jump in 2010, scared to freaking death mind you, and haven't really looked back, much. About 6 years ago I started teaching myself coach building, that's actually what its called. Built a few hand made parts, like an all aluminum Ford Model A, and put it in the car show. That was a big success and that got me a lot more work. Sometimes I think back to how much further in life I would be if I had someone to teach me this stuff. I taught myself everything, from welding, CNC programing to metal bumping etc.

So really, the only path that is important is the drive to want to learn. Everything else falls in place from there.

I appreciate you sharing this. This was huge for my boys.

Pretty excited. After a long days work I came back to the shop after eating, I think I work to much, and finished getting the door opening finished. I finished rolling the edge over in the pinch seam then I attached the doors openings to each other and tack welded them in the back. Let me tell you, rolling 16 ga cold rolled is a mans job, Its strong as hell and hard to work after it get work hardened. Now all that’s left is to finish welding these up permanently and then I can attach these to the tub.

F2823C39-6051-4BD4-9284-963C2963F46C.jpeg

BEF50BBC-51EB-45DD-8E8C-CB3970AF4095.jpeg

B66DD84E-4BA1-43DB-85AF-8ABAA58BF2E8.jpeg

E1140F11-F8C4-407C-850A-CB2F1A51D825.jpeg

DBE0483C-ACEA-43CC-8B8C-E3A8D49729EA.jpeg

I just stumbled onto this preparing to rebuild my bj40. Your shop is a lot like mine except it's smaller, lacks any of the cool machines you have and the guy who wrenches in it has the skill set of a 3yr old.
Awsome work!

I'm impressed.

Sorry for the delay. I know sometimes it feels like I’m stopped working on this but I haven’t!! I decided I needed a modular table to help me build the body as I finish each piece. So a friend and I designed this fixture table specifically for building these tubs. Also, while I was at it, I built a new English wheel.

402139AD-162C-4829-8B20-3D44069019D1.jpeg

FD94AF6C-2AB5-41FF-8CF0-34895C79D0B3.jpeg

We have already. I have 4 to build after this one. I am having a professional artist do a rendering so the “vision” is fully realized.

Cost for a ‘79 stock body with larger rear wheel openings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom