So I want an FJ 40 but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I had some time today, a few hours, to work on the FJ 40. I figured I needed to get the dash done so I could continue forward to the cowl. So what I did was took a rough paper pattern of a 40 than I have in the shop right now and take it to my digitizer and traced that out so I could basically make a fixture so I can mark my bead lines quickly and not have to draw it out manually. I know this is bad but I really have been dreading making this dash because of the shape it was. I knew that it would take some time and a lot of layout. However I was incorrect and it only took me about three hours to make this dash from scratch never have done this particular dash before.

Yes, I am admitting that I delayed this project just a bit because of this dash. Now that this is done I will attach the a pillar's and go ahead and finish the cowl. Maybe tomorrow...

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

So I have a question, would there be a reason to build the frame like then FJ40 frame, lengthened, or make it completely different? Is there any advantage making it about the same shape as the stock?

narrowing the frame in the rear would allow rear steer..

So I have a question, would there be a reason to build the frame like then FJ40 frame, lengthened, or make it completely different? Is there any advantage making it about the same shape as the stock?
Dimensionally I think it would be good to keep it the same, maybe just box the rear portion. The stock frame design doesn't really get in the way of most mods. The frame does get wider in the rear, if you kept it as narrow in the rear as the front it would be easier to ad rear steer if u wanted.

Awesome work
Really makes me want to finish my hammer forms for the door bottoms I need to fix

Sorry for the long delay, had a few major projects we had to get out of the shop. I'll be back on this in the next few weeks I hope.

I know I've been neglecting this project, had a few MAJOR changes at the shop. Thought I would share some of those changes with everyone.

Over the last 3-4 months we have installed some new equipment. We bought an Amada LCG3015 Laser and the Amada CNC 150 Ton Brake.

The Lazer

The Brake

Once we get all the training done I'm hoping to get back on this soon.

Nothing like top notch equipment to make the work easy, and repeatable, with quality. The guy I worked for wasn't afraid to spend money on real good equipment. I spent most of my time out on the job site, so I didn't use the point to point, cnc panel saw, etc. But several of the guys really knew their way around that equipment. Enjoy the new equipment.

Ok, I know there has been a long delay in this project. All the training on this new equipment has been crazy. However at night I have been taking my 2D patterns and turning them into 3D patterns and assembling them. It makes it so much easier to plan everything.

4Door Land Cruiser.png

Ok, I know there has been a long delay in this project. All the training on this new equipment has been crazy. However at night I have been taking my 2D patterns and turning them into 3D patterns and assembling them. It makes it so much easier to plan everything.

View attachment 1489367

autocad or solid works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom