Smittybuilt Winch Fitmit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to install a Smittybuilt winch on my FJ40. I purchased the HFS bumper from coolcruisers which has the vertical mount holes. The X20 10K winch is a little long but can still fit between the rails but I either have to cut or ditch the triangle shaped bumper support brackets. Underneath the 1/8 inch triangle support brackets is another 1/8 half a support. I can still connect the bumper to that bracket. Is it ok to ditch that bracket?

Also the winch is usually mounted horizontally. I am not sure if vertically mounting it will cause any issues? Any thoughts?

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

FWIW - Another Option: I installed the Warn Zeon 10 on my rig, using a mounting plate from CCOT. It sits on top of the front frame rails and allows the use of a non-modified OEM front bumper.

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

Don't remove the braces, trim them instead.

View attachment 3494183

Drill a hole at the corner and then trim/cut up to it. You want a rounded corner to prevent stress cracks from forming. Don't cut the frame or bumper.

Here is how I trimmed mine for my power steering.

View attachment 3494187
I like this solution. I have a cutting wheel but doubt I can get it to look like yours. What did you cut it with?

When I do my winch mount, I going to use a receiver hitch so I can move it to the rear. Yes I'll run heavy duty wire back there too. I think there are good quick connectors that will work as jumper cable connections too.

You can use a hole saw to radius the corner and whatever on the straight cuts, death wheel, Sawzall, etc.

When I pulled everything off my front rails it appears they got pretty bent up the last time I got pulled out of trouble. Does anyone know an easy way to straighten them? The 1/8 steel doesn’t move at all with a hammer.
IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

IMG_0845.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

Rosebud - get it dull red hot, it will move with a hammer. Be nice to be able to quickly clamp in place a backing piece to pound up against. I would use that backing piece made from some flat 2" wide 1/4 thick steel plate mounted on top from the end to at least that big rivet. Longer grade 8 bolts/nuts

Looks great on there.

Anyone else using the CCOT plate have a problem with the hawse fairlead not lining up with the plate resulting in your synthetic line rubbing the tray?

Picture of what I’m talking about from CCOT’s website.

IMG_1127.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom