Belly/hull-mounted winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not sure if I had the most insanely detailed dream or saw a post about this a while back. There was a Kiwi on here who installed a winch under, about mid-ship, on his cruiser. I have searched high and low for this thread. Google, the search function, all of it. I can't find this dang thread. Does anyone know who did this or what I am talking about?

I would be more inclined to mount a winch front and rear. A rear mounted one could tuck up inside the rear cross member if the exhaust and a spare fuel tank isn't in the way. A mid-mount winch will have the tires, springs and steering linkage getting in the cable run between the winch and a hitch point.

A previous owner did this to mine, portable and hitch mounted it can quickly be swapped from front to back. Possibly a better solution than center mounting. ??

DSCF1162-001.JPG

Mid mount which way would the fairhead be to go in any direction? To avoid tires or bumper getting to an anchor point would need a pivot point at the front or back depending on which way your pulling from.

A hydraulic one on the front and an electric one on the back is my plan. I like those synthetic ropes and those pully rings. The 4 wheeler is getting a receiver hitch mount with a battery so I can take it off or move it to the front or back.

If I were to do it again... I'd design my rear bumper to have a fairlead in it to mount a winch in the back under the floor.
Then bolt down a winch in the front.

The problem is your beating the crap out of that back one constantly being washed with engine heat, proximity to exhaust, and exposure to dust and wet.

But, you've got a ton of options with two winches if things go awry.

I still haven't purchased a winch for the 40. I put a receiver tube in the front bumper to mount it on a removable plate. My camping trailer has receiver tubes on all four corners too. Seemed like an easy thing to add with no real downside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom