Shackle Rust .... Is it a problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this degree of rust on my shackles a problem? Photos of front shackle provided. Anyone recognize who makes these. Thinking it would be good to know manufacturer if I need to take them off for disassembly, cleaning, paint, and lubrication. Never done this before. All advice welcome and appreciated.

D6A92544-A700-4D5A-B853-492C3C53C829.jpeg
75D2EFC4-2882-45D6-A016-59A27BF4467C.jpeg

What rust?

Problem with your springs is (1) they were painted "after assembly", sooooo there is no paint between the leafs, (2) your leafs have no anti-friction pads to let the leafs "glide" smoothly over each other, and (3) the alignment clamps are "pinch bound", also not letting the leafs glide on each other- - -translation=stiffer ride and early spring fatigue.

All, thanks much for feedback on LEAF SPRINGS😳😳😳

Downey, do you recommend refurbishing springs now? Thx!

The rust issue on your springs appears to be a result of poor paint coverage during spraying. I certainly wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s going in a museum.

It doesn’t matter if they were painted before or after assembly because no paint can withstand the forces in between the moving leaves. Taking apart leaf springs to paint them is like taking the rivets out of a frame to paint in-between the faying surfaces of inner and outer frame rails. The paint that isn’t damaged during assembly will soon be damaged during flex and vibration of the overlapping surfaces.

Edit: one question: what’s with the washers on the shackles?

Last edited:
I've grown really fond of this stuff on old rusty springs and on my new OME springs. Home Depot has it but I buy it by the 6 pack now online.
Gave a can to a friend who used it on his swamp buggy with extremely rusty springs and he claims he's got a softer ride now.
Not sure if I noticed that, but I like not looking at any more rust on my springs. And it's quick and easy too.

Corrosion Stop.jpg

The rust issue on your springs appears to be a result of poor paint coverage during spraying. I certainly wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s going in a museum.

It doesn’t matter if they were painted before or after assembly because no paint can withstand the forces in between the moving leaves. Taking apart leaf springs to paint them is like taking the rivets out of a frame to paint in-between the faying surfaces of inner and outer frame rails. The paint that isn’t damaged during assembly will soon be damaged during flex and vibration of the overlapping surfaces.

Edit: one question: what’s with the washers on the shackles?
Came that way when I bought the truck. Here’s another pic:

FE9DAA75-0E0A-4363-AAF7-D0FB43DF80C6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom