Sean’s rear bumper saved my 80 today... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
...got in a little scuffle with a 16’ 4Runner. No doubt in totaled without the rear bumper.

0B0716C9-E587-4402-9116-C51D0DFCF3C7.jpeg

7BDF780F-39CB-4839-8994-2CDC669E1F61.jpeg

8CD4ABD9-072D-45AB-8BA5-3DC3ADF0EAD0.jpeg

9E5402C3-B4EA-4A8B-86A4-F60D22D4B19B.jpeg

Wow, you can near see the curvature of the spare wheel the way the fender wing crushed.
New vehicle crushing the way new rigs do.

Glad you and your rig made it out unscathed.

As someone very familiar with rear ending someone else, I can promise you that a tail light defense would never hold up. I was stopped for a good 10 seconds in the right lane of a 10 lane freeway (exit was backed up a quarter mile). He hit me at a very good speed.
Both of my tail lights are clearly visible from 15 feet behind my cruiser. That picture was probably taken 7-8 feet back.

He said he was distracted by something on the side of the road. I saw him in my rear view mirror and knew that he couldn’t stop. I took my foot off the brake and turned my wheels to the right so that when he slammed into us it absorbed a lot of it and pushed us into the emergency lane.

I always keep extra distance when the freeway traffic slows down - and use my emergency flasher button liberally

Last edited:
Damn that pesky tire carrier bolt! Glad you were unscathed and nice to see the armored 80 taking advantage of newer vehicle crumple tech...

Are the new 4 Runners made out of tinfoil? Crumple zones definitely do their job but damn the carnage. Glad you're ok.

incredible. is the tire carrier the only thing that got tweaked? i wonder if it shifted anything in the frame since it's hard mounted

incredible. is the tire carrier the only thing that got tweaked? i wonder if it shifted anything in the frame since it's hard mounted
The whole bottom of the bumper is bent as well. It isn’t awful, but it is definitely bent. I am sure someone can get it back to useful. I am very curious to see if there is any frame damage. I certainly hope not! The other driver has Geico. Hopefully they aren’t a challenge to deal with.

Are the new 4 Runners made out of tinfoil? Crumple zones definitely do their job but damn the carnage. Glad you're ok.
His air bags didn’t deploy either. I wonder if they are faulty or if the technology is so good now that they knew they didn’t need to deploy.

The oem rear crossmember would have held up well too

This pic doesn't show the damage to the tail gate very well but it's not significant. The truck that hit me was an 93 Explorer so the impact just cleared my trailer hitch and folded the rear cross member into the spare. I have been considering a 200 but have been to attached to the 80.

View attachment 1490009

Maybe, maybe not.

First let me start off by saying I'm glad you and your family are Okay, and that goes for the guy that hit you too. Now moving on to your truck, even though it doesn't look like it has much damage, I'd still take it to a body shop to have them check it out underneath, You may have hidden damage that you can't see, if nothing is wrong then great, but if there's a major problem, you'll want his insurance to cover all the repairs.

First let me start off by saying I'm glad you and your family are Okay, and that goes for the guy that hit you too. Now moving on to your truck, even though it doesn't look like it has much damage, I'd still take it to a body shop to have them check it out underneath, You may have hidden damage that you can't see, if nothing is wrong then great, but if there's a major problem, you'll want his insurance to cover all the repairs.

It will no doubt get a through exam. I have had it since 2004 and done all the work to it myself. Definitely not ready to let it go and I will want it to be right.

There is definitely a chance the frame is bent upwards with the bumper.

728B63FD-8CDD-4356-AB38-7BBBA05BF2EA.jpeg

1E08C88E-4B5C-4263-B783-99B214B400EC.jpeg

97634723-2824-4A72-AB61-6237D9F279AD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom