SAS SAS #3 Official Thread 2019 (4 Viewers)

SAS #3 Color choices

• Capri Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Pollux Orange

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Olive Green

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Spring Green

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Cadet Blue

• Dune Beige

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Rustic Green

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Freeborn Red

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yellow / Mustard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We would enjoy having you along Alex but don't push the drive up too hard. We will have an overnight in Monte Vista, CO. on Saturday the 3rd. Then to Salida CO. the morning of the 4th. If you make it close to either of those locations shoot me a text and we can discuss having you in on the last leg.
Casey..

Almost wish I had some story to tell about getting my 60 ready for SAS#3. Hope this doesn't jinx me , but I'm ready, just getting the tow dolly ready for the trip. Before you bash me for not doing the 1800 round trip in my 60, I must tell you that I am bringing the :princess:. While she is adventurous , she does not share the love of driving cross country in a vintage vehicle. So to keep things equal I will be towing the 60. There is nobody I would rather do this trip with soo, bash on, haha. That being said, I can't wait.:cheers:

Last edited:
Almost wish I had some story to tell about getting my 60 ready for SAS#3. Hope this doesn't jinx me , but I'm ready, just getting the tow dolly ready for the trip. Before you bash me for not doing the 1800 round trip in my 60, I must tell you that I am bringing the :princess:. While she is adventurist, she does not share the love of driving cross country in a vintage vehicle. So to keep things equal I will be towing the 60. There is nobody I would rather do this trip with soo, bash on, haha. That being said, I can't wait.:cheers:

It all good. A couple of folks did this last year. It’s great your wife is coming. It is a family event. Looking forward to meeting you. I enjoyed your build thread!!

Torque ‘em nuts people. Particularly on suspension and steering. Found a couple that were loose.

I have a few things to knock out still. Looking forward to using my new Bowfin rack. (Thanks Patrick!)

Quick question, perhaps someone has some insight.

Specifically related to 12/24V diesel cruisers. Has anyone had experience with running accessories (fridge,etc) on a truck with parallel batteries? Most HDJ81's have 24V starters and 12V everything else. When starting the truck, it uses both batteries. However when the truck is off they drain together so it can cause a problem. Most people convert to 12V starters to avoid running into starting issues.

I guess worst case scenario a jump pack can get us out of a jam but also don't want to run into that situation. Maybe we might be ok given that we won't necessary be in the same place for over 15 hours.

Last edited:
I have a few things to knock out still. Looking forward to using my new Bowfin rack. (Thanks Patrick!)

Quick question, perhaps someone has some insight.

Specifically related to 12/24V diesel cruisers. Has anyone had experience with running accessories (fridge,etc) on a truck with parallel batteries? Most HDJ81's have 24V starters and 12V everything else. When starting the truck, it uses both batteries. However when the truck is off they drain together so it can cause a problem. Most people convert to 12V starters to avoid running into starting issues.

I guess worst case scenario a jump pack can get us out of a jam but also don't want to run into that situation. Maybe we might be ok given that we won't necessary be in the same place for over 15 hours.
In my experience with heavy equipment running 12V accessories off of only one battery in a 24V system when engine is off(even lower draw than a fridge) leads to problems with battery life, alternators, etc. Get a 24v to 12v converter to keep the load balanced on both batteries. (I have used the ones from amazon, epoxy potted with aluminum case and fins 40 A I think?) They are cheap ($20-30) and worked fine for me.

Hi MUD Family!

I am running out of options so I am resorting to asking for help here. Trying to get my 40 up and going, she runs but is in desperate need of a tuneup after I recently replaced my carb with one from TrollHole. Is there anyone in the Denver area that can help me tune the carb and (more importantly) help me with a valve adjustment? I will buy you dinner! Really want to make it to SAS in my 40 and not have to bust out the 60. Thank you!!!

22165FF7-6C9B-4EF3-9007-BBBEF5B09837.JPG

I’m on my downhill portion:

Newer gas tank in
Rear sway bar almost mounted. Waiting on a part.
New seat foams are In
3FE alternator almost done.

I may weld my sliders in now because the seat foams make the truck harder to get into, not because I expect a rock to hit em.

After that, a suspension torque and re grease and I’m ready.

I’m on my downhill portion:

Newer gas tank in
Rear sway bar almost mounted. Waiting on a part.
New seat foams are In
3FE alternator almost done.

I may weld my sliders in now because the seat foams make the truck harder to get into, not because I expect a rock to hit em.

After that, a suspension torque and re grease and I’m ready.

Alex - what did you source/fab up for the rear sway bar frame mount?

I have a 60 series rear sway bar I need to fit onto the 80 rear axle but it came without the frame mounts.

My 60 has a 62 axle housing in it from new because it’s such a late build 87. Pretty much a bolt in for me, but there really isn’t much to it. A decent fabricator could make the mounts easily.

I can take detailed pictures of mine.

A5E5CAB0-3AE4-486B-BC73-2EFA5F54CB9D.jpeg

Sunroof all cleaned out! Now cleaning out a/c drain lines and having system recharged!
F7FD74E6-2B9C-4700-BD30-BD7DB03CD7E6.jpeg
92735E7A-B82F-479F-BEFD-107EF4CAD310.jpeg
31BD9F62-EA8D-40AD-8A0D-C084B8C4D1D9.jpeg
7EEBA30A-72BC-4AC0-A3C8-0ACB282F8411.jpeg
9169839B-790E-4955-AE7F-6E6071B80829.jpeg

Last edited:
Should be a little different experiene on the trail than the Troopy. I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the CB mount my evil brother @POTATO LAUNCHER fabbed up for me yesterday. I owe the dude to say the least!
Crazy different and really looking forward to it! @POTATO LAUNCHER is a super rad dude for sure!!

Not bringing the troopy? @The Jade Bean
It found a new home. Honestly I miss it, but it was a necessary evil. I’m hoping to buy and drive back a FJ45 back from Honduras in the future, but time will tell.

Crazy different and really looking forward to it! @POTATO LAUNCHER is a super rad dude for sure!!

Man I'm looking forward to it, as well. Will be great to see everyone. Crap, I just realized I haven't placed a coffee order!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom