SAS SAS #3 Official Thread 2019 (2 Viewers)

SAS #3 Color choices

• Capri Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Pollux Orange

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Olive Green

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Spring Green

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Cadet Blue

• Dune Beige

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Rustic Green

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Freeborn Red

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yellow / Mustard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I am officially pulling the plug on bringing the 60 to SAS3. My alarm went off at 4 a.m. this morning, I sat right up and said out loud "this is crazy". I love the idea of the new rig but if I tried to test it out up there it would be really dumb. If I broke down on those trails the burden would be huge getting it back down and that just hit me like a ton of bricks today. I will have a lot to do when I get back home but it is what it is. I have two weeks to push hard on 80 maintenance and that should be just fine. Now I can plan to go up the wall at poughkeepsie again, that's a plus.

Makes more sense to drive the "baby" with only 270,000 miles on it, right?

Can't wait to see y'all!

Fits your sig line. Not a rat race. A living spree. Good move.

Feeler post, would anyone potentially be interested in doing the Rimrocker trail with us on the August 10th? Means you might have to skip black bear pass. I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards leaving early Saturday to go into Moab as my wife would like to see the arches.

Running it first weekend. On the way in,

Announcement just came out today that Engineer Pass is open through to Animas Forks. They're still working on Cinnamon but projecting next week for that one. The route to Silverton is a little circuitous but can be made. Conditions are getting better each week...

I also saw CorkScrew is open. High snow like when I did Ophir a couple of weeks ago. The FJ Summit starts next week so there will be a ton of traffic on all trails that are open. I know it will be way better than the heat at home regardless.

Well, I am officially pulling the plug on bringing the 60 to SAS3. My alarm went off at 4 a.m. this morning, I sat right up and said out loud "this is crazy". I love the idea of the new rig but if I tried to test it out up there it would be really dumb. If I broke down on those trails the burden would be huge getting it back down and that just hit me like a ton of bricks today. I will have a lot to do when I get back home but it is what it is. I have two weeks to push hard on 80 maintenance and that should be just fine. Now I can plan to go up the wall at poughkeepsie again, that's a plus.

Makes more sense to drive the "baby" with only 270,000 miles on it, right?

Can't wait to see y'all!
Bummer we won't see it, but no sense killing yourself to sweat whether or not you remembered everything on such a long maiden voyage.. I previously had some glimmer of hope of bringing my '76 this year, but with the recent cross country move and another kiddo on the way it ain't happening for a while..

I've still got to rebuild the t-case and install new input gear and 3:1 kit in the FJ62, do "something" about the 230+ temps up on those climbs, tune up my CB, give the truck a good once over (haven't been driving it daily like I used to), check over spare parts and tool inventory, pack, etc.. I am stoked for this trip, it's gonna be a blast again!

Breakfast tomorrow morning @ Taco Bell and then start the install of my rebuilt head with all new valves etc🙏. Then once we sort out our camping gear Maureen 💅& I will be mostly set for SAS 3. Looking forward to seeing everyone including all the new faces.🎯u

ECAAC97A-331E-45F6-B886-580781065645.jpeg

CA13D3BB-99F2-448D-86BD-29BF111E6F70.jpeg

B234A1C3-C0DD-4074-8BC9-3FE3EACCE363.jpeg

D50EF90A-B9A2-4F16-8783-EABA14A525E0.jpeg

^^^
🙉 Funny man. 😜👍

Took my head off this morning in prep for rebuilt head install and found some things that may indicate the need for some new rings in several cylinders.

Won’t know until I bring in my head and discuss the full situation with my machinists tomorrow morning. If I need to put in new rings that should be all that’s necessary to get me on the road as the bottom end was fully rebuilt last year. Maybe we installed bad rings, maybe I broke a ring when I made the install, don’t know, but will make a big effort so we can drive the 60 & not the 40 to SAS 3.

Hope to know tomorrow so I can get the game plan going. Maureen 💅 has already asked if the 60’s not ready can we take the 40. I told her yes for sure...but I hope to have the 60 ready...oh yeah...going across Utah in August in the 40 with no A/C will have me wishing for the 60 for sure. A/C = Burr! Wish me luck with the 60.😳

SAS Prep...cleaning sunroof drains and then a/c drains out to start.
3A912659-8980-4D98-BF27-49278E8E608D.jpeg

Is anyone driving from Houston? My goal is to be in Amarillo by Saturday evening.

If you are planning on meeting in Amarillo and caravaning with the crew, I think folks are gathering in Amarillo Friday evening and heading out Sat morning.

If you are planning on meeting in Amarillo and caravaning with the crew, I think folks are gathering in Amarillo Friday evening and heading out Sat morning.

I may have to be solo then. I could maybe get to Halfway to Amarillo if I leave after work on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom