SAS SAS #3 Official Thread 2019 (1 Viewer)

SAS #3 Color choices

• Capri Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Pollux Orange

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Olive Green

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Spring Green

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Cadet Blue

• Dune Beige

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Rustic Green

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Freeborn Red

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yellow / Mustard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heading up no matter what the trail status is. Won’t miss this for anything

Sorry to hear you can't make it @lcwizard . We had a two folks from AZ drop out this morning unfortunately.

For some reason Mud is not sending me notifications on this thread even though they are activated so I've missed a lot of the recent chatter. Here's an update from the area...

Just spent the weekend in the San Juans on the East side based out of Lake City. We explored Engineer and Cinammon, both are open almost to the top. Engineer has probably 1/2 mile left and there's a big wheel loader stationed up there doing the work. I couldn't see Cinnamon, the road block is at the cutoff for American basin and you can't see much up past a few switchbacks. The locals say another week or two and the full alpine loop should be open. We didn't venture all the way around to check trails on the Ouray side of the passes so can't comment on those directly. The county workers seem to be going after it hard to get the trails open, the San Juans tourism is heavily driven by the OHV community so there's a big incentive to make it appealing for folks to visit. I expect by SAS we'll see most trails open but still a fair bit of snow up high. The melt has been strong the last two weeks though and if this weather continues a lot of snow will melt off.

If you've never seen the result of an avalanche up close you're going to get quite the experience when you get there. On Cinnamon there are slide paths almost every quarter mile once you get up into the valleys. The county workers have done a great job to clear the trails, but you still get to drive right through the piles. It looks a lot different than last year.

Hero shot near the top of Engineer... snow is cleared off the road but obviously not gone...
IMG_20190706_102819.jpg

unfortuneately I won't make this. I have customer obligations and a real shortage of help. I will be doingthe seven 12 hr day thing all summer and into the fall. Averaging about one month per new hire so I'm sweeping the floors
Bummer. Sorry you can't make it.

I too have been missing notifications. I will check in more often.

Still no idea if I can get the 60 ready in time or not. I could argue to bail but my 80 needs a lot of things too and if I do bail on the 60 that means the project still waits when I get home. Lizzy's 80 needs a bunch before she goes off to school 6 hours north of home the end of August. Then the 55 has to get a bunch for the Southern Swine Soiree in October.

First world problems

It's just getting hard to do a fab shop. I can start a new hire at 15.00 that can't weld or has no fab experience but even
cleaning parts and moving or product around is too physical for today's kids. Az upped it's minimum to 11.50, 12.00 this
January so faced with a physical job that's hot and dirty they would rather work in a clean cool Taco Bell and make up the difference
with hand out money. we have the mines here so those that want jobs have them. What's left is that 60% that are really
just looking for an easy allowance. There's a real lack of motivation and looking ahead in today's kids. Apparently they feel
lonely......

Checkout what me and @potatolauncher started back in March. Adding the finishing touches just in time for SAS#3.

That's a beauty! I'm super envious, as this old 2F would curl up and quit if I asked it to pull that load at 2 miles high.

I hear ya, @lcwizard. We offer $50 cash and can't even get 'em to park cars and move chairs for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. Most of that 3 hours is really spent playing hurry up and wait as well. Lazy buggers.

Well, I am officially pulling the plug on bringing the 60 to SAS3. My alarm went off at 4 a.m. this morning, I sat right up and said out loud "this is crazy". I love the idea of the new rig but if I tried to test it out up there it would be really dumb. If I broke down on those trails the burden would be huge getting it back down and that just hit me like a ton of bricks today. I will have a lot to do when I get back home but it is what it is. I have two weeks to push hard on 80 maintenance and that should be just fine. Now I can plan to go up the wall at poughkeepsie again, that's a plus.

Makes more sense to drive the "baby" with only 270,000 miles on it, right?

Can't wait to see y'all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom