Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome thread and awesome truck. I love the color and Ocracoke is one of my favorite places. Very envious.

I bought my 40 about 3 years ago and have changed my priorities quite a bit on what to do. It has a supposedly rebuilt F.5 engine in it, but came with the original 1978 2F. I was all about putting that back in, but realized the current one runs great, and I care more about steering, suspension and maximizing time on the road. I drive the hell out of it in the summer, and the top stays off all summer.

Like you, I live near the beach, and the salt air is no joke. Do whatever you can to protect it, but I agree with others that your patina is awesome.

On the weatherstrip, I ordered door weatherstripping from city racer, but it has very little give. I actually spoke to him about it and he is passionate about it and says it will last longer, which may be true, but the OEM stuff is much squishier and doesn't make my doors bulge the way the City Racer stuff did. He's a great vendor though, and I just placed my most recent order with him yesterday.

New spare tire looks awesome. If that's a new Toyota steelie rim though, they come just primed, so you may want to hit that with some rattle can to protect it from rusting.

Lastly, I replaced my Rough Country shocks with Bilstein, but might have gone with Dobinsons in hindsight. Replacing the Rough Countries with anything will be a huge improvement though, and it's a very easy job.

Keep up the great work and great photos!

If you can get your hands on one, I like the H/2H engines that came in the 45/47 series trucks overseas. If I were picking a period correct diesel combo, it would definitely be a 2H in a short wheelbase 40

Awesome thread and awesome truck. I love the color and Ocracoke is one of my favorite places. Very envious.

I bought my 40 about 3 years ago and have changed my priorities quite a bit on what to do. It has a supposedly rebuilt F.5 engine in it, but came with the original 1978 2F. I was all about putting that back in, but realized the current one runs great, and I care more about steering, suspension and maximizing time on the road. I drive the hell out of it in the summer, and the top stays off all summer.

Like you, I live near the beach, and the salt air is no joke. Do whatever you can to protect it, but I agree with others that your patina is awesome.

On the weatherstrip, I ordered door weatherstripping from city racer, but it has very little give. I actually spoke to him about it and he is passionate about it and says it will last longer, which may be true, but the OEM stuff is much squishier and doesn't make my doors bulge the way the City Racer stuff did. He's a great vendor though, and I just placed my most recent order with him yesterday.

New spare tire looks awesome. If that's a new Toyota steelie rim though, they come just primed, so you may want to hit that with some rattle can to protect it from rusting.

Lastly, I replaced my Rough Country shocks with Bilstein, but might have gone with Dobinsons in hindsight. Replacing the Rough Countries with anything will be a huge improvement though, and it's a very easy job.

Keep up the great work and great photos!
Hey thanks! yeah I probibly go through way too much fluid film a year! I ended up making the factory door weather stripping work. It does make the doors tighter but its way better than the crunchy stuff that was in it before. the old weather stripping more closely resembled tree bark than rubber. City racer was pretty awesome about sending the scissor door weather stripping that was missing from an order I placed with them. I have bought quite a few things from them. Including the horn relay and the mirrors and lots of weatherstripping haha.

The rim is actually almost junk. It had sat some where before I got it and it has some pretty bad rust scoring. so much so where my buddy and I were unsure it would create a nice bead. I think I may end up getting new factory rims in the future just because they are not that bad for rims price wise. would be cool to put the 16 inch split rims and some more authentic tires on it but the tires are nice and new that are on it so I dont want to go down that rabbit hole quite yet especially with new tires already on it.

yeah the engine runs fine now other than a few gaskets that need replaced. It does bother me that its a chevy engine though. Not because I hate chevy or anything. I really want an old c10 truck from the late 60s. But I think it would just be more original with a toyota engine. at the moment I am leaning towards an original 1f 155. still undecided on that. My fiance says I should go diesel. I also just really like working on the toyota engines.

And yeah mine are rough country springs and some more generic shocks maybe procomp or rough country... they are probibly the same I think.

Dont worry I will keep posting some photos on here! Thanks! Hit me up next time your are on Ocracoke or the Outer Banks

If you can get your hands on one, I like the H/2H engines that came in the 45/47 series trucks overseas. If I were picking a period correct diesel combo, it would definitely be a 2H in a short wheelbase 40
I thought about this too. they are hard to find but who knows! stuff pops up. I almost ended up trading my kzj78 for a 47 series! I wish that one had worked out flip side is I got this one and I love it.

I thought about this too. they are hard to find but who knows! stuff pops up. I almost ended up trading my kzj78 for a 47 series! I wish that one had worked out flip side is I got this one and I love it.
I think Canada got the H and 2H diesels

I think Canada got the H and 2H diesels
I think your right. I am going to keep that engine on my radar for sure. The hj47 I was looking at came out of Australia I think. at least that was what I was told. The guy could have lied. seemed untrustworthy and is why the deal fell through.

You have your answer.
hahaha yeah... I think she would appreciate more original too. We will be married in April its coming up fast. She has been amazingly supportive of my expensive hobbies.
It’s far from going anywhere. If you get ready for one reach out. It’ll be a decent price. I’m not trying to get rich, just trying to ease the pain on new parts.
yeah I will reach out when I am ready to make a decision on the engine. I am pretty sure I just want to go the rout of putting a f 155 back in so this seems like the way to go since it once would have had that early f engine originally.

It’s your truck, don’t feel pressured by what anyone else says, if you want a gasser, go for it. Want a diesel? Go for it. Either way, you have an awesome truck

It’s your truck, don’t feel pressured by what anyone else says, if you want a gasser, go for it. Want a diesel? Go for it. Either way, you have an awesome truck
agreed and thanks! I got some time to think about it at least. if you are ever my way hit me up! I saw you are in raleigh thats not too far.

agreed and thanks! I got some time to think about it at least. if you are ever my way hit me up! I saw you are in raleigh thats not too far.
I go to college in Charlotte and live in Raleigh, so I’m in different parts depending the year. If I’m ever by the coast, I’ll let you know

You mentioned you liked the 3 on the tree, so just to open up possibilities. I believe @Skreddy along with @65swb45 successfully adapted a 4 speed to 4 on the tree. I think Skeady was working on a kit.

You mentioned you liked the 3 on the tree, so just to open up possibilities. I believe @Skreddy along with @65swb45 successfully adapted a 4 speed to 4 on the tree. I think Skeady was working on a kit.
I am just the recipient of other’s ideas and work. Mark @65swb45 came up with the adapter to use the 3 speed top plate (shifter) on the 4 speed trans. Then Chase @red66toy acquired it and produced one which I installed on my 1970. Chase is having a run of adapters made, then some linkage and tunnel work needs done for it to fit.
If you get a 4 speed, this sure keeps the cool factor of the bench seat and column shift.

I am just the recipient of other’s ideas and work. Mark @65swb45 came up with the adapter to use the 3 speed top plate (shifter) on the 4 speed trans. Then Chase @red66toy acquired it and produced one which I installed on my 1970. Chase is having a run of adapters made, then some linkage and tunnel work needs done for it to fit.
If you get a 4 speed, this sure keeps the cool factor of the bench seat and column shift.
How do I get my hands on/make one of these adapters? This would be my dream haha. side note I know some of the JDM hiace trucks have 5speed column shifts. I almost bought one these trucks last year for a kayak delivery truck for my families surfshop and kayak rental business.

How do I get my hands on/make one of these adapters? This would be my dream haha. side note I know some of the JDM hiace trucks have 5speed column shifts. I almost bought one these trucks last year for a kayak delivery truck for my families surfshop and kayak rental business.
Talk to Chase @red66toy (Cruiser Cult). If you decide to do it, my thread has all the linkage details and trans cover modifications needed. It’s not hard…..

There’s other things needed for the 4 speed swap too but all easily sourced.

Here’s the link to the adapter. The meat and potatoes of the install starts around page 7 I think.

Want to get everyones opinion. Originality or something better? I really want to swap the engine out for a toyota engine at some point in the next few years. while my sbc runs well and works its not a toyota and it bothers me a little. In the mean time I want to start gathering parts. I would like it to be a relatively "easy" swap. or at least something that my capable willing to learn how to hands can do. I know what ever I do Ill need to swap out the bell housing and probably change out the transmission for a 4 speed for some of the engine swaps. The engines i had in mind are the toyota 3b no turbo. maybe a 3fe (I have experience with the 3fe). If I want to go crazy a 1fz would be really cool but I think maybe too much work. I also saw a 1kz swap on mud somewhere looked to be a little too much fab and wiring for my taste though. I also would not mind finding a good 1f 155 engine. occasionally I see them on face book marketplace. Keep in mind I dont need to go fast where I live. I am not a led foot.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time. If anybody has a better suggestion for toyota powerplant let me know. the only engine I dont want to do would be a ls swap.

anyways let me know your thoughts.
I wouldn't let the sbc not being original drive you crazy. To me the biggest thing is just being able to get out and enjoy these old trucks and have fun in them. If the chevy is reliable I would keep it in the truck and upgrade other things to your rig and do the engine swap last. I have a three on the tree currently and even bought all the parts to covert it to a floor shifter but I'm hesitant to do it. the column shift just seems to match the personality of the truck. I contemplated upgrading to a four speed but I don't think it is much of an improvement besides first gear being synchronized.

I wouldn't let the sbc not being original drive you crazy. To me the biggest thing is just being able to get out and enjoy these old trucks and have fun in them. If the chevy is reliable I would keep it in the truck and upgrade other things to your rig and do the engine swap last. I have a three on the tree currently and even bought all the parts to covert it to a floor shifter but I'm hesitant to do it. the column shift just seems to match the personality of the truck. I contemplated upgrading to a four speed but I don't think it is much of an improvement besides first gear being synchronized.
I honestly would like the column shift more than the floor shifter even with the 3 speed. The reason I have not started pursuing this already is because iI think the SBC is in the way of the linkage for the column shift. I could be wrong though would you mind sending a pic of the linkage under the hood of yours? I know a couple of people have offered me the column shifter and stuff but I am unsure if it would fit. you are right about the three vrs 4 speed. the three speed is not bad right now especially since its been recently rebuilt.

I am excited to move the 4x4 acuation back to the dash. I have been slowly gathering parts for that. I am planning on replacing the sending unit gasket and possibly installing the old factory seats I have coming (they may have to wait for reupholstering they were rough)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom