Roof restoration (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Lenny, I don't know how the truck is doing. I sold the Cruiser in September 2014. At that time everything was fine.
The only problem I had was with the weather striping. I made the mistake to go cheap and bought the aftermarket kit for all doors from CCOT instead of buying OEM Toyota. The Toyota rubbers have a kind of a flap at the corners which you really need to keep the water out.
You don't want this:
coolfj40_2176_219205606.gif

You want this:
coolfj40_2271_31169468_arrow.jpg

Those corners make a huge difference.
Oh, and I'm on the north west coast and not in the rain forest.

Rudi

Last edited:
Hahaha! You got fed up with the Land Cruiser. What did you buy to replace it? With Coen & Karin saying Venezuela is the last stop for South America and will be heading into Central America I suspect they will stop and visit with you?

Yep, I got tired of all the repairs. This was my second/hobby car and it was eating up my pension savings. I still have my Daihatsu Terios AWD, In the USA and Japan aka Toyota Rush.
I don't know if they come to visit me. Their first worry is to get the truck from Venezuela to Panama. We'll see.

Rudi

I feel the same way. I bought this rig for $6,500 from a lawyer in Azogues, Ecuador. No problem with inspection, no problem with registration he says. Failed inspection the next day and it took 15 months to get it registered. Gee, now all it needs is a motor, take it apart and try and better fit all the body pieces, strip and paint, repair the roof, etc. And of course parts are not available and it is even more expensive to send them down now thanks to El Presidente. So I have found that Land Cruisers are like boats in Seattle, a hole in the water you pour money into. Also like boats the two happiest days of ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Unfortunately you can't get anything for them, certainly not down here. I had it advertised for six months, would have taken $.50 on the dollar for what is invested and received not one single phone call.
So you don't think Landcruising Adventure can swim? I suspect they will ship from Venezuela to Panama. Although from their stories they are having no problem with FARQ soldiers in the back country of Colombia at this time.

Rudi -

Sorry to hear you sold your BJ40. I appreciate the time you've taken to detail your repairs and experiences.

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, and it'll serve as a great resource for me as I tackle the same job over the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Steve

Rudi -

Sorry to hear you sold your BJ40. I appreciate the time you've taken to detail your repairs and experiences.

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, and it'll serve as a great resource for me as I tackle the same job over the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Steve
X2

Back again after 2 weeks. The roof is back on the Cruiser. Yeah!
The upholstery guy did a nice job. He made a little error but I'm the only one who know where to look so that's OK with me.
I finished the painting a few days ago and after letting it dry for 3 days, we (the :princess: and I), put it back on the Cruiser.
Let me tell you one thing. The Cruiser is not square when the top is off. You don't notice when the top comes of but you 'll find out when you put it back on.
I started at the front. Put the 2 bolts in above the windshield and tried to push and pull the side panels to match the holes with the top. No way José!
So I started from the back. Put in the 4 bolts above the ambulance doors and pushed-in the PS side panel to get the first bolt just behind the door in. Once the first one is in it will getting easier with every next bolt.
Not an easy job when you are 6' 3" and have to crawl in that confined space with temperatures around 32C / 90F and a humidity of 90%.
Anyway it's back in place and I am a happy CO (Cruiser Owner).
While I was finishing up I decided to put in a protective strip because sometimes the passengers in the back trying to get a hold and grab the rain gutter edge which is a bit sharp.
I used "Door Jamb Edge Guard" for this as you can see in the pic. On request from the :princess: I also put in an extra "grip" above the PS door. It's the same grip as the one above the glove compartment that I had in my little warehouse.
View attachment 641370

And.................... no more POP rivets!
View attachment 641371

Rudi
View attachment 641370View attachment 641371
I'm in the process of getting mine ready for the journey down to coconut-ville (Uvita, CR). Lots of good advice! Appreciate the effort those who have come before have made in teaching future noobs!

A few tips for those of you restoring your tops:

Use 5/32" x 3/8" Aluminum solid rivets. The factory holes will get a little buggered out while removing the old rivets. The 5/32 rivets are a tiny bit wider to fit snugly in the holes. You may have to "chase" the existing holes with a drill to clean them out and prepare them for the 5/32 rivets.

I modified a pair of vice grips to buck my rivets. This tool will provide you with consistent results on every rivet. I just took some round bar stock and cut little filets out of it and welded them on the jaws of the vice grips. I drilled a little divet in the center of one of them to center the head of the rivet in the tool, and it also gives the heads that factory "washer" look (that you'll never see after applying seam sealer).

Ahh yes, seam sealer. You'll want to use a good self leveling seam sealer. You'll need a couple tubes of this. I highly recommend the SEM 39387 self leveling seam sealer.

Do you recommend having the fiberglass roof completely painted before attaching the gutter to it?

Hi Lenny, I don't know how the truck is doing. I sold the Cruiser in September 2014. At that time everything was fine.
The only problem I had was with the weather striping. I made the mistake to go cheap and bought the aftermarket kit for all doors from CCOT instead of buying OEM Toyota. The Toyota rubbers have a kind of a flap at the corners which you really need to keep the water out.
You don't want this:
View attachment 1054180

You want this:
View attachment 1054191

Those corners make a huge difference.
Oh, and I'm on the north west coast and not in the rain forest.

Rudi
Hey Rudi--what kind of adhesive did you use to attach the weather stripping?

Rudi is right on, get the OEM weatherstrip and 3M weatherstrip adhesive, worked great on my top!

Hey all, any chance you might have a clue about the rear flip-up window struts? I put my hardtop back together after partial restoration (to make sure it fit together), then after cleaning, lubing (trying to shine) and reassembling the spring/struts, I now find that the window won't close! I have tried every possible configuration, have looked at other builds just to see the pictures of the piston positioning (which I have correct). Is there some part/spacer that goes under the top reinforcement bar? Am starting to question my sanity at this point.

Hey all, any chance you might have a clue about the rear flip-up window struts? I put my hardtop back together after partial restoration (to make sure it fit together), then after cleaning, lubing (trying to shine) and reassembling the spring/struts, I now find that the window won't close! I have tried every possible configuration, have looked at other builds just to see the pictures of the piston positioning (which I have correct). Is there some part/spacer that goes under the top reinforcement bar? Am starting to question my sanity at this point.

Sorry, my '70 strut was incomplete. I would have to hold it up and then reach inside for a crescent wrench to tighten it to hold it up. I converted to a gas strut and had to make a new lower bracket. It took a couple of tries, but it worked great and no problem closing. Unfortunately I did not have all of the parts for the factory lock, however, I soon learned that the cast pot metal piece you grab and lift to release was available and many folks on Mud said they break all of the time. Someone had fitted a topper type of latch and so I just continued to use it.

DSCN1967.JPG

My "visor" or "cap" came back this afternoon from my welder.
He did a great job. Look at the pics.
View attachment 632332
Before

View attachment 632333
After

Sanded and painted, ready for test fitting and install.

Rudi
View attachment 632332View attachment 632333

Rudi, when you got your "visor" back from the welder and were ready to install it, did you rivet this piece to the roof? When I pulled the carpet down that "served" as a headliner I saw that the reason it was falling down was a gap all along between the visor and the roof. It seems to me that the two pieces should be riveted together as you would have attachment to the windshield frame at two places and then the rain gutter would be attached above the doors. No support in the middle between the roof and the "visor" or "valance" as I would call it.

The Beast will supposedly come home Thursday 16NOV17 after four months in the shop. It has a completely rebuilt engine but much of the other work on the list was not performed. I'm disappointed as I felt the other work could have been done while awaiting parts to clear customs, machine shop, etc. But the roof and door restoration needs to be addressed promptly as the rainy season will arrive in late February and The Beast leaks pretty badly. Hope you are well.

Hi Lenny, Yes you have to rivet that piece to the roof with 5 rivets.

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom