25 Year Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acjb

GOLD Star
Threads
1979 FJ40 Olive Brown - In 1998 I bought as a Flintstone mobile with floor pans just gone. My avatar is it when i brought it home. Way before digital photography. Oddly enough that was the only rust to mention on the thing. Tore it down to the tub and engine in the frame and piddled off and one for several years. 2002 Started a business and that ended the FJ40 resto. Got my feet under me by 2004 or 5 and then tore it all the way down to the bare frame. Rebuilt transmission, rear end, brakes, knuckles and clutch. Got new Toyota front fenders and Got Jim C to rebuild my carb. Then it happened, I got distracted. She sat as you see it below until this weekend (tub was on a wooden frame right side up though). I would be in and out of the forum over the years but never got juiced enough to get back in. Had young kids and we were doing the family thing on the weekends. My dad often said just sell it, you will never finish it as it looks. I could not bring myself to part it out. I knew one day the bug would hit me hard enough. He passed in 2019 (F@#$ Cancer!) and I have so many times wished he could have seen it come to fruition. He thought it was a really cool vehicle. The excuse has always been the bottom of the body would need frame to flip it over on and I never made time to build it. Bottom of the tub was the next step that had to be addressed. Heck, I even bought a rotisserie and restored it thinking I would use it to work on the bottom. Never could figure out how I wanted to mount it on the dang thing. Well this past week something happened and I just got started. Bought some steel, made my make shift rotisserie and yesterday started cleaning up the bottom, welding up some of the rusty floor pan left overs. The PO did me the favor of spraying undercoating on everything. There were small spots of surface rust on the edges inside the fenders starting so today I spend an hour scraping this crap out of the driver rear fender underneath. Some spots it just flakes off, others it is stuck pretty good. And of course there is grease everywhere with dirt baked in. At any rate, here we go. I hope it sticks this time and the 3rd round is a charm. I labeled most of the things that came off, but I am sure I will be lost as hell in short time. I do have the FSM for the engine and chassis but I think the engine one is for up to 78 only. Distributor information is all points type. I have made some contacts over the last couple of days that have 79 models and they have been awesome resources as expected here. 25 year later, below is what we have to work with. I have parts strewn all over my garage. I have really enjoyed this forum over the years (joined in 5/2007) and I have always gotten the info I needed by searching or asking. I look forward to reconnecting with the group. Have a great week! I hope to keep this thread updated in hopes others may benefit in some way. I certainly have from the many other build threads. 🍻

image 6.jpg

image 3.jpg

image 5.jpg

IMG_0746.jpeg

Last edited:
Got a patch, albeit ugly, in the corner of the floorboard. I’ll get it cleaned up.
Most of that mess is from when I first started and though the more wire the better I guess.few more tacks to go to see it up. Second thing was I found an attachment that kinda fits my ossilating tool. I’ll get one that’s wider and fit the Milwaukee. That made much quicker work of the under coating.

IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

I know what it's like, I started with a rusty old beater in the end of '91. It has been through a lot, and I've driven it most of the time. My youngest son is now 14, and now and then I find some time to work on the 40. Life keeps throwing me curve balls, but so long as I can make some progress now and then, I'm OK with it.

Keep on plugging away at it and don't get too fixated on having it perfect. It's an over glorified tractor that is meant to be used where there are no roads. Build it, drive it, and enjoy it... there are enough Jeeps at the Mall and an FJ40 doesn't belong there.

Finished up the bottom removing all the undercoating. The area above the transfercase was caked with grease and dirt. It as extremely hard. All the clamps and areas nooks are not perfect but I am going to try to wire wheel them and get as much as possible off. Next decision is what to put back on It. I wanted to do the raptor liner but I am debating on whether just paint would be a better option. What is your opinion or what did you do? Enjoy the rest of your weekend,

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

At least you’ve got a big garage!

I had good luck getting off undercoating with one of those heat gun things, like a hairdryer. They’re cheap at Hazard Fraught!

I started with that but what ever this stuff was, it would just melt the top of it and leave a second layer. I ended up using a combo of a chisel and a high speed air right angle grinder with a metal brush wheel. My shoulders are feeling the chisel. I used it like a scraper and it was able to get underneath the knock out about 2-3 inches per swipe. Got the left over with lacquer thinner and lots of acetone.

Yeah it is pretty big. It’s a full unfinished basement. Only issue is any fumes or noise goes straight up into the house. I used a heat gun for some but where the grease and dirt had hardened, it was just shear elbow grease. The right angle grinder from Harbor Freight with a wire wheel helped quite a bit but mostly it was scraping.

Skip the raptor liner. All hard liners will get water underneath them and then they promote rust. Don't use hardening tar or bedliner products on the bottom of a nook-and-cranny filled FJ40 tub. My '82 pickup (bed-lined in the bed) had extensive rust trapped and promoted by the bedliner.

Started on the tank tonight. Man this stuff is really on there. I prefer the look of it painted so off it comes. There is powdery rust inside but no rot. All baffles look good tat I can see. How do you knock that off the inside? I’ve seen bolts etc thrown in and rattled around. Any better ideas?
IMG_0779.jpeg

Also found this guy rattling around in there. Guesses? Im going with filler baffle spring?
IMG_0782.jpeg
IMG_0781.jpeg
IMG_0782.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom