Retirement Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks very nice @J Mack; especially the framed in “Shelves”.
Thanks WDE, the shop is in the process of getting some much needed love, new lights, air system and more outlets. I was getting tired of tripping over airlines and extension cords in the dark.

Thanks WDE, the shop is in the process of getting some much needed love, new lights, air system and more outlets. I was getting tired of tripping over airlines and extension cords in the dark.
Curious - what are you using for air piping?

I plan to install 16 linear high bay LED lights to replace the fluorescent fixtures. Modeling shows I will have over 100 FC at 30”. That might be a little overkill but they are dimmable.

I have outlets all around but no 220. I’m trying to get those all planned as I want them installed before doing the walls. So far I have welder(s), compressor, and lift on my list.

I plan to install 16 linear high bay LED lights to replace the fluorescent fixtures

If you haven’t already committed to fixtures I highly recommend these, I hired a company to do a light study and my only request was” I want it to be like walking on the surface of the sun” thinking it would be easier to turn a few off or dim them than add more later. They put 25 of these light in my shop and it’s a game changer.

IMG_20210911_101501577.jpg

Curious - what are you using for air piping?
I don’t want to ball up WDE’s thread so I’ll post some more info of what I’m doing here: Maxline by Rapidair - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/maxline-by-rapidair.1263254/

Last edited:
@J Mack I was looking at either the same fixture or one very similar but in a 15000 lumens output at 5k color. Mine will be hanging around 15’ and I thought it better to go 16 fixtures instead of 12 with lower output. Again, my shop is only 40’ x 40’ and iirc the result will be 109 FC at 30”.

Mine will be hanging around 15’ and I thought it better to go 16 fixtures instead of 12 with lower output.
I’m not an expert and spent a bunch of money doing it myself incorrectly. What I learned is China light output numbers on Chinese branded lights is different than the light output on name brand lights. These Lithonia lights have less output than a fixture they replaced but the difference in usable light down low is staggering. They did hang a smaller version of the same Lithonia light under my mezzanine at 10” and they are a good choice if you plan to hang some lower.

I’m not qualified to tell you what you need for your shop but if your local supply house sells Lithonia fixtures I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one of the larger lights and just replace a single existing fixture in your shop and see what you think, my guess is 12 of these would give you all you need or would want.

What I learned is China light output numbers on Chinese branded lights is different than the light output on name brand lights.
These are the ones I was modelling and when I said similar, I meant Lithonia. Given how fast the LED landscape is changing I probably won't buy anything until I'm close to hanging them.

Love the camel sign. Would love one.

Reading all these shop threads over the last few months is inspiring to say the least. Unfortunately none of them have motivated me to make some critical decisions about the interior finish. Made it back to the US yesterday afternoon so it won't take long for me to desire to get my cabinets hung and everything organized. So far though the only decision I have made is to use metal studs and to have the walls inset or flush with the steel frame.

Really need to sort out the bathroom possibility I suppose as the next logical step. My comments from last August:

The shop is plumbed for a bathroom in the back right corner. Unfortunately the shop is near a creek and just above the flood plain so no way to put in a small septic system (at least not legally). Considering a grinder pump but it's about 400' uphill to the house septic system. I'm sure that won't be cheap but I want to run fiber optic from the house to the shop so I need to trench anyway. We will be home for a few weeks in December and January so I'm going to try to get these details nailed down then.

Well of course I didn't make any progress, if for no other reason it is/was impossible to get a plumber out to look at the situation.

Bathroom is nice but not necessary. You can always take a whiz outside and go to house for other. Do need a sink to wash hands but that can also be outside or more simple setup inside than an actual bathroom.
Since when did necessity have anything to do with wants? :D

Seriously though, I have considered whether or not it's really necessary but since I have water, and the drains are already roughed in, I need to at least explore the viability and cost before discounting the idea completely.

Since when did necessity have anything to do with wants? :D

Seriously though, I have considered whether or not it's really necessary but since I have water, and the drains are already roughed in, I need to at least explore the viability and cost before discounting the idea completely.
In my experience it is a big plus to have one and as you get older ……….🤔

Last edited:
Bathroom is nice but not necessary. You can always take a whiz outside and go to house for other. Do need a sink to wash hands but that can also be outside or more simple setup inside than an actual bathroom.

More often than not, I head down to the workshop only to come back five minutes later to use the facilities... Just like remembering what you needed to bring with you after locking the house and starting the car...

I'd like a toilet and sink in the shop, but the Borough requirements make it unfeasible (cost) to do legally.

I've thought about making up a sink with a water cooler bottle and a bucket under the sink for some water to wash up, but haven't followed through on it. Something like this where the bottle gravity feeds to a faucet and then the sink drains to a bucket. Carry the bottle and bucket back and forth to house to fill/dispose as needed.

Camp Sink.jpg

Last edited:
More often than not, I head down to the workshop only to come back five minutes later to use the facilities... Just like remembering what you needed to bring with you after locking the house and starting the car...

I'd like a toilet and sink in the shop, but the Borough requirements make it unfeasible (cost) to do legally.

I've thought about making up a sink with a water cooler bottle and a bucket under the sink for some water to wash up, but haven't followed through on it. Something like this where the bottle gravity feeds to a faucet and then the sink drains to a bucket. Carry the bottle and bucket back and forth to house to fill/dispose as needed.

View attachment 3034890
Well it's over 400' to my shop with about a 30' elevation change.......so that's probably out. If it was just a sink then I would just let it hit the ground. Again, I have water at the shop.

Mine's just over 100' and a slight downward grade from house to shop.

I've considered scaling it up a bit and using the skidloader to run the tanks back and forth, but again haven't moved on it yet.

Sink.jpg

I prefer bright white metal siding on the walls and ceiling. In work areas prone to damage and dirt I like the look of a metal wainscoting setup where you use a darker color like gray for the lower 4 feet, then a flat beltline trim where you can put all your outlets and airlines, then white from 4' up to the ceiling. Lots of ways you can attach it using metal or wood framing. In a steel building, I would screw the metal siding directly to the Z purlins leaving the steel support beams exposed. When I've seen the insides of steel buildings where guys have tried to conceal the steel beams by framing around them or spacing the interior wall way out it looks all kinds of wrong and wasteful.

My home septic is pumped. Because of the location of old drainfields and two water wells the septic is pumped over 500 feet to the new drainfield. There's only a few feet elevation change though. I would wager your situation would work just fine with a pumped setup. Pump isn't a big deal. Well, it isn't until your toddler is able to reach the breaker panel and turns off both bottom breakers that happen to be for the pump and the high level alarm and you don't catch it for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom