Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The painters were playing a joke on me, the upholstery pic above is a test seat that they made for their chair. Real seat progress is pictured below. The chipguard looks even better now that it is dry. There is one coat of clear over the chipguard. It will be really easy to keep clean.

Seat heater drivers.jpg

Drivers seat.jpg

20180601_103618.jpg

We made some decent progress this week. The verticle portion of the toolbox was painted base clear. The remaining tub floor was sealed one last time with epoxy primer and top coated with chipguard and a coat of clear.

Their intern is making more progress on the upholstery. Chassis is being picked up from my garage to have the tub mounted next week and we can start assembly.

tub.jpg

tub1.jpg

20180607_115958.jpg

20180607_120021.jpg

tub2.jpg

Just imagine how dirty you are going to get that beautiful paint job!

Just imagine how dirty you are going to get that beautiful paint job!

Thats what keeps me going. We are finally able to see a small speck of light at the end of the tunnel. I cant wait to drive this thing out of the garage.

We have decided to use an OEM bumper. I had previously powdered the gussets and hooks and they didnt come through as cleanly as we had hoped. New hooks and gussets were more economical than having the old ones restored.

20180618_125249.jpg

There are 23 holes in the top of a new FJ40 bumper but we only needed 8. It also needed a little bit of magic to make Zak happy.

bmp.jpg
bmp1.jpg
bmp2.jpg

20180208_163746.jpg

The bumper is back in one piece less the unneeded holes. It is in epoxy primer waiting for the next round of pewter.

bumperepoxy.jpg

We decided to fill in some of the pits on the visible sections of the frame. When we started the frame off, we never anticipated having the paint and bodywork get to this level.

front frame.jpg

rear frame.jpg

The Vintage Air Gen IV kit arrived today. It looks well made and the instructions are straight forward. @Cruiser Corps was great to deal with as usual.

20180622_102254.jpg

Oh no, the bumper holes for the starting crank have been filled in.
Now you have to use the electric starter, every.single.time. Oh, the horror.

Oh no, the bumper holes for the starting crank have been filled in.
Now you have to use the electric starter, every.single.time. Oh, the horror.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jim. Ill have to have them put back in......

We probably lost the purists when we decided on the digital guage cluster. Thats whats fun about building a "parts truck".

Inching forward. Frame is done. Wetsanding and buffing the tub is next and then will be mounted for the final time. I am hitting the road for the annual family roadtrip but hopefully will have some more progress pics when I get back.

My dad's '69 patina/survivor is getting close as well after going through mechanicals, wiring and upholstery. He had his 60 sliders installed with Trail Tailor's bolt on kit in prep for Coal Miners Classic this weekend. If anyone sees him make sure to give him a salute.

framr.jpg
frame horns.jpg
pp.jpg
20171009_111736.jpg

Today was a small milestone. The tub is finally off of the rotator and onto the frame.

The 3 speed transmission cover will be modified for the 4 speed conversion, new Oem and Cityracer inner and outer shift boots will be installed.

20180809_100430.jpg

20180809_100439.jpg

20180809_101618.jpg

20180809_100632.jpg

20180809_072145.jpg

Looks great :clap::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom