Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slowly but surely.... High build primer is sanded, UV primer is applied. Next steps are more sanding and then on to color.

I have been busy accumulating parts so i can be ready to assemble once we get the tub on the frame. I also found a little time to sneak into a stand this morning.

hg.jpg

20171026_210439.jpg

20171026_205356.jpg

Last edited:
Merry Christmas, Mud. Not much progress on my end aside from accumulating parts and chasing whitetails. We will be making some headway in the coming months. Santa left me a little something with a red and white label.

Happy New Year, stay safe and healthy.

20171225_144221.jpg

Happy New Year Mud. Working towards the light at the end of the tunnel, the seats are getting attention.

It looks like the 71/72 bench and drivers seat are set up for headrests, does anyone have any insight ( @Living in the Past ) ? I am also missing the fuel vapor separator hose cover that attaches across the back of the passenger side, I assume we are going to have to make it as it doesnt look like a piece that has alot of survivors.

seat bavk.jpg
20180102_111810.jpg

maybe...

I thought I had a vapor line cover. Could picture it so easily in my mind’s eye. Looked in 6 different places where I remembered seeing it, but it wasn’t there.:frown:

Measure the distance on the headrest holes. My 73 headrests may work.

I thought I had a vapor line cover. Could picture it so easily in my mind’s eye. Looked in 6 different places where I remembered seeing it, but it wasn’t there.:frown:

Measure the distance on the headrest holes. My 73 headrests may work.

Thanks for checking, Mark. I wasnt planning on running the headrests, just surprised that the seats were set up for them. Happy New Year.

I am excited about the dakota guage.. i really want one

Ive been excited about the gauges since Dakota rolled them out a few years ago. The painters are redoing the seats in the next few weeks, we'll be able to sneak some of the interior parts (gauge bezel) into the batch of grey paint. As soon as the tub comes back with some green on it, I will be close to getting it wired and firing it up.

Last edited:
So honestly how difficult is it to wire up? Mine will be a little different as i have a ramjet 350 now.. but i keep thinking it might be above my skill level

I havnt done it yet but have been through the manual a few times. It looks like it will be pretty straightforward and probably a 2 or 3 out of 10 on a difficulty level. All of the senders wire directly to the controller, one cat5 cable goes from the control box to the guage cluster. We will be ordering the gps speedo module as well to eliminate the speedo cable.

From the beginning of this build, ive wanted to add heated seats. The Dorman kit should be here tomorrow. We are planning on hiding the switches so people dont get the wrong impression about the rugged nature of a vintage Land Cruiser.

I also had a few minutes this evening to tear down the rear heater to restore.

20180103_190704.png
20180102_211207.jpg

We stopped by the body shop this morning. Seat bases are down to bare metal. The inside of the middle seat back had a great example of original gray that closely matches our NOS pieces. Paint is purchased. We looked at some upholstery samples and will make a final decision next week.

The Tub is taped and finish sanded, ready for one more coat of UV sealer and then color. Its going to be Monday before the fridgid weather breaks and any more product is sprayed.

20180105_112625.jpg
20180105_112619.jpg
20180105_112745.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom