Builds Red Dawn (60 converted 62 Build Thread w/ R2.8) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chin panel on last night. Shoot for the hood here during Thanksgiving.

51702113916_314f6b54d9_b.jpg

I made a thing to hold the battery main to aux battery cable as well as the overflow pipe. I noticed it was shaking quite a bit while the engine was running. I also remade the main rear brake line. Word to the wise. The wilwood proportioning valve has a very deep rear port. So deep in fact that the earl's stainless brake nuts I used would bottom out on the valve housing before applying enough pressure to seal. I didn't realize this until my 3rd attempt and by then the brake line was too short. I kept thinking the flare was bad. Anyway, no pictures of that as it is just annoying. But I did include a pic of the brake nut differences. Stock nut is on the top and the newer Earl's one is on the bottom. That 1/8 of an inch is what was causing the leak, and the giant delay in getting this truck on the road.

51712247782_20b91645c8_b.jpg

So I found the cleanest Toyota brake nut I had and flared it on the new line. The Earl's ones worked everywhere else.

51713699144_7df0fcdfb9_b.jpg

Here is that thing I made. Can't let you all down without another bracket.

51713680399_69f7917fec_b.jpg

Pulled off all the blue tape. The passenger side is just a hot mess. Saving that for after the truck is moving. I really need to get this garage all cleaned up and some of these parts all gone. To do that means I need to get this diesel swap on the road, everything is trapped in the garage.

51713020356_2db3b3ac59_b.jpg

The real reason I didn't get as much done as I was hoping is this little gal. My wife volunteers at a dog shelter for sight hounds and I knew it was only a matter of time before one followed her home. This is Meeka. She is a sweetheart who is about 5 months old so we need to keep an eye on her, but she keeps her eyes on us too.

51713891460_d1a7a5e317_b.jpg

Truck took its first steps over the weekend. I really just pinned up all the accessories stuff that I'm going to work on later and tried to get it out of the garage. I want to figure out everything that is wrong so I can fix it now rather than get everything "done" and find out there is more to do later. Suffice to say, there are still some things to figure out as there always is.

51728893208_a2c290f3b5_b.jpg

51728641546_d28d9f0597_b.jpg

51729292764_409d9fe697_b.jpg

This photo below should take you to a short video of me pulling out the driveway for the first time. Not very dramatic but an event for me all the same. I'll do another YouTube video soon I think.

Untitled by NicSteph Foster, on Flickr

First Impressions:
I didn't drive very far, just to the gas station and back basically. Replacing all of the front steering really is noticeable. The truck is much tighter and feels more responsive. It's FAST. I know how weird that is to hear, but this thing scoots now. I'm not going to beat any sports cars, but it's surprising. I don't know how much extra power it makes because of the EGR delete but it feels like a modern SUV in the get-up-and-go category. Most of us have low expectations for the speed of an FJ6X, at least I did, this fixes that (It better right?). It's very smooth so far. The transmission and engine seem to work well together. I know the 6L80E "learns" or at least I'm told it does. Not sure what's going to change over time but I'm excited to find out. The engine does shake. The gear selector does a pretty good dance in park. It also makes some rather impressive turbo noises. The little hair dryer on this thing starts to huff and puff with about 1/4 to half throttle.

Questions and help I need:
1) First and probably the most frustrating is that the diesel pump nozzle at the gas station doesn't fit into the filler neck flapper. The OD of the nozzle is too big. I had to use a flat head screw driver to open the flapper door and basically pour the fuel in with the pump rather than pumping it right into the filler neck. What gives? Do I need to find diesel stations with oldschool nozzles? Is there some diesel filler neck standard I didn't know about that that requires me to swap it out for one from a different model?
2) My fuel filler guage doesn't work. It reads less than "E". I'll search on this one, hope I didn't damage the sender when I was cleaning everything up in the tank. Anyone ever got one stuck that worked itself loose or something?
3) The dakota digital tach convertor SGI-100BT isn't driving my new tach well. I set it up to the point where it's supposed to be putting out a 2k rpm signal and the tach barely budges. It wants to move, kind of wiggles, but really doesn't. I can tell the 2k signal that the SGI-100BT is putting out is a pulse but it doesn't even get off the dead stop. I tried the 6cyl setting first, then the 4 and 8, all with the same results. Need some work here. I hope my tach isn't toast.
4) The coolant temp sender is really low. I bought the FJ62 original sender but I guess I need one that is a lower temp? Anyone do any research on the temp senders or part numbers for one that might be more "diesel friendly". The engine won't get much above 180° right now (pretty chilly in PNW). I'd imagine 190 -200 in the summer.

Other than that, I've got a leaky brake line (again). which is infuriating. Took a break on Sunday to bask in the good vibes of getting her back on the road. Stick with my everyone as we get through all the details and start to put all the accessories in. I bought some neat fog lights yesterday, got an air compressor to install and all the wiring for the secondary battery.

On my 60's fuel neck there was a nozzle size restrictor that only allowed gasoline sized nozzles at the fill station. Diesel fill nozzles are bigger so I ended up removing that restrictor piece and welding up the holes left over on the neck from it's removal. I removed the filler neck and did this outside of the truck. If removal is a pain I suppose you could try something like JBweld or like epoxy that is fuel rated to cover up the holes from removing that restrictor. I drilled the spot welds out which is why I ended up with holes in the filler neck.

Nice job on taking it for a quick ride.

Such a great job! I had planned to do the 2.8 in my 62. I had placed the order in 17, but cancelled it a month later as my heart failed on me.

Got an LVAD, and can no longer do much work on my rig. I sold out and bought a 20 Tacoma, and sold the 62 for a 3x profit. Still miss it every time I go off road.

New Toyotas are a shadow of what they once were.

You now have a rig that will last for the next 40 years, long after my new Tacoma is in the ground.

Outstanding work!

On my 60's fuel neck there was a nozzle size restrictor that only allowed gasoline sized nozzles at the fill station. Diesel fill nozzles are bigger so I ended up removing that restrictor piece and welding up the holes left over on the neck from it's removal. I removed the filler neck and did this outside of the truck. If removal is a pain I suppose you could try something like JBweld or like epoxy that is fuel rated to cover up the holes from removing that restrictor. I drilled the spot welds out which is why I ended up with holes in the filler neck.

Nice job on taking it for a quick ride.
I'll add that to punch list. Thanks. Now, if only my fuel sender worked so I knew when the fuel was low enough to pull the filler neck off. :hmm:

Such a great job! I had planned to do the 2.8 in my 62. I had placed the order in 17, but cancelled it a month later as my heart failed on me.

Got an LVAD, and can no longer do much work on my rig. I sold out and bought a 20 Tacoma, and sold the 62 for a 3x profit. Still miss it every time I go off road.

New Toyotas are a shadow of what they once were.

You now have a rig that will last for the next 40 years, long after my new Tacoma is in the ground.

Outstanding work!
I had the same thought. I basically have a brand new truck (need upgraded brakes and rebuilt front axle) for what a decently outfitted 4-Runner costs.

Something else I thought looked off, are the hard coolant pipes/hoses. I think it may cause leaks in the near future, from engine shake.

But they look cool as heck.

Something else I thought looked off, are the hard coolant pipes/hoses. I think it may cause leaks in the near future, from engine shake.

But they look cool as heck.
They are aluminum. Each end has a silicone coupler though so it's not a hard connection between the engine and radiator.

I'll add that to punch list. Thanks. Now, if only my fuel sender worked so I knew when the fuel was low enough to pull the filler neck off. :hmm:

Congrats Nic! Such a great attention to detail and beautiful work you have done on that truck. Hope to see you at the Seattle Cruiserheads Christmas Party next week.

Let me know if you need a Filler neck to modify. I have been wanting to do this in mine. I imagine it would possibly work with diesel with the correct part. Not sure if the one I listed below would be the ticket.

Congrats Nic! Such a great attention to detail and beautiful work you have done on that truck. Hope to see you at the Seattle Cruiserheads Christmas Party next week.

Let me know if you need a Filler neck to modify. I have been wanting to do this in mine. I imagine it would possibly work with diesel with the correct part. Not sure if the one I listed below would be the ticket.

I'm aiming at coming to TOR for the party. Some appointments before hand so might not be there on time.

I had the same thought. I basically have a brand new truck (need upgraded brakes and rebuilt front axle) for what a decently outfitted 4-Runner costs.
I can’t speak for fuel supply up there, but here in Denver diesel filling stations have 2 different nozzle sizes. 1 for big rigs, and one for diesel pickups. It might be worth checking around and see what you find.

A couple of housekeeping items lately. Since I can finally get the truck out of the driveway. A somewhat local FJ62 owner purchased the old 3FE. So I separated the trans and engine and delivered that. The transmission is spoken for too, so that is nice. Starting to get some floor space.

Goodbye old friend:

51828770204_f27edc3446_b.jpg

51828427606_4566a669e4_b.jpg

51829150820_117098a47f_b.jpg

I'm still having a heck of a time with the reverse lights. Something about the transmission control module is not doing the business correctly. I keep emailing Zero Gravity but we are having trouble figuring it out. I think the fuel level sender is fine, I'm just really low on diesel? It's only got one jerry can of fuel in it so that might work out to my favor when updating the fuel filler neck. Got all the coolant leaks figured out and for the time being, I mounted the Murphy gauge where the tachometer goes. Its not what I want long term but it gets me a tach for a while.

51828448686_17af5bc095_b.jpg

I sent both my tachs (gas and diesel) to a local speedometer guru to have the guts swapped out. That way I can use the dakota digital input with the HJ61(12HT) face and lights. It has been pretty cold in the garage lately and I have been spending time organizing and cleaning up so not a ton of progress on the truck itself. More to come soon, like air compressor mounting, front driving lights from cruiser cult, etc.

Chin panel on last night. Shoot for the hood here during Thanksgiving.

51702113916_314f6b54d9_b.jpg
Freaking love this thread. Kinda off topic and probably missed it if you already talked about it, but whats the story on the 3pc wheels in the background of this pic? Im looking for some 3pc myself like some lodios (SSR) or similar for mine.

Freaking love this thread. Kinda off topic and probably missed it if you already talked about it, but whats the story on the 3pc wheels in the background of this pic? Im looking for some 3pc myself like some lodios (SSR) or similar for mine.
I'm a bit of a wheel idiot and own / owned some nice sets over the years. What you see stacked up isn't LC related. Mostly Ronal Racings, I also have some Alpina centers all are for BMWs. The SSR Auswuchs are the only LC wheels I have and are two piece. I have 8 out of 9 of them built now since one of the hoops split. Should probably look at getting new ones made and sell the extra set I have. Here is a photo dump because I do love wheels... a lot.

51828926924_b9d88c951d_b.jpg

51828584216_585d1d0d62_b.jpg

51827636987_dfea2f6a6e_b.jpg

51828695508_0b64f1bc33_b.jpg

51827637002_4e2c9e1838_b.jpg

51829308060_984c633444_b.jpg

51829308090_69b3799d41_b.jpg

I'm a bit of a wheel idiot and own / owned some nice sets over the years. What you see stacked up isn't LC related. Mostly Ronal Racings, I also have some Alpina centers all are for BMWs. The SSR Auswuchs are the only LC wheels I have and are two piece. I have 8 out of 9 of them built now since one of the hoops split. Should probably look at getting new ones made and sell the extra set I have. Here is a photo dump because I do love wheels... a lot.

51828926924_b9d88c951d_b.jpg

51828584216_585d1d0d62_b.jpg

51827636987_dfea2f6a6e_b.jpg

51828695508_0b64f1bc33_b.jpg

51827637002_4e2c9e1838_b.jpg

51829308060_984c633444_b.jpg

51829308090_69b3799d41_b.jpg
Oh good lord those 5 spokes on the BMW are freaking money they tucked up in there perfect. I am the same way. I LOVE some 3pc jdm wheels. Cant beat a 5 spoke on any car ever. Im really partial to 5spokes on japanese vehicles. If i cant find any lodios or work 5spokes im thinking i might just go with some bradley v 5 spokes but would much prefer some nice 3pc. My buddy has some SSRs on his 240z and 240sx and im jealous that there are so many more options for cars out there vs trucks. Where are you getting your wheels from? Yahoo.jp?

Oh good lord those 5 spokes on the BMW are freaking money they tucked up in there perfect. I am the same way. I LOVE some 3pc jdm wheels. Cant beat a 5 spoke on any car ever. Im really partial to 5spokes on japanese vehicles. If i cant find any lodios or work 5spokes im thinking i might just go with some bradley v 5 spokes but would much prefer some nice 3pc. My buddy has some SSRs on his 240z and 240sx and im jealous that there are so many more options for cars out there vs trucks. Where are you getting your wheels from? Yahoo.jp?
I got the SSRs from yahoo.jp. I bought 4 and said to myself "I'll just wait for a single to pop up". Well, to my chagrin, the next ones that were the right size and finish were a set of 5, so I bought those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom