Recommendations for shop compressor 208V, single phase, max 16 amps (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

Boss is looking to upgrade our 1962 Speedaire shop compressor at work. Currently it is a Speedaire 80 Gallon, 3 HP motor, Ingersol Rand type 30 pump 242N3. Typical shop needs, filling tires running some air tools, nothing really extreme. Just one tech (me) using air most of the time. We had an electrician stop by the other day and check out our electric system, He wrote down that a "208V, single phase, max 16 amps" would work on our system.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such compressor? Brands etc. Also Splash lubricated vs. pressure lubricated. Pros and cons of such. Compressor is in a heated shop. The compressor we have works fine but boss just wants to upgrade before an issue arises. The compressor needs to be vertical.

Seems like the electrical at 208V is the biggest factor here. I found a Speedaire from Grainger #35WC40. I was told Cambell Hausfield makes these. Any thoughts on this unit?

Thanks for any recommendations or feedback.
Sean

Last edited:
That's pretty limited service. I assume it's due to wire size? Regardless, pretty sure you can't go above 3 hp on 16 amps. Most industrial sized air compressors start at 5 hp. I would stay with an 80 gal tank, assuming you aren't running out of air, and find the quietest compressor rated for continuous duty with a 3 hp motor. Sorry I can't be more specific but I've only researched 5 and 7.5 hp compressors (as I'm in the market for one).

You might ask on Garage Journal as well.

Something is fishy here. Can you post what the electrical installation looks like or consists of, and if possible, the breaker associated with your compressor circuit? Either your wire is WAY too small or you have a bunch of other devices on that circuit. You should probably have a dedicated circuit for the AC if you don't already. And as Eagle said, 5hp is the bottom of the barrel for shop air compressors.

The air compressor is the only item on this circuit. The electrician said basically to try to limit the usage of the circuit to 80% of 20 which is about 16. The motor which is on the A/C now was replaced a few years back and it is 19 amps, so it trips the breaker on occasion.

We are considering running a new wire over to the compressor and updating the breaker in the box. This is a pretty old building. That opens up a lot more options for compressors. 7+9 is the breaker. Can't see what the wire size is to the compressor because it's all in conduit.

2BCD9304-F742-4CAC-B4A2-7BB7CD45369C.jpeg

The air compressor is the only item on this circuit. The electrician said basically to try to limit the usage of the circuit to 80% of 20 which is about 16. The motor which is on the A/C now was replaced a few years back and it is 19 amps, so it trips the breaker on occasion.

We are considering running a new wire over to the compressor and updating the breaker in the box. This is a pretty old building. That opens up a lot more options for compressors. 7+9 is the breaker. Can't see what the wire size is to the compressor because it's all in conduit.

View attachment 3525452
If we assume that the original electrician sized the breaker and the wire appropriately, you will have 12 gauge wire on that circuit. The electrician is correct in the 80% rule. If you want to get anything even semi commercial you are going to need to jump up to a 10. If it's in conduit, then you might be able to pull the old wire out and pull in some new 10's and swap that 20 amp breaker out for a 30. You can do this yourself.

You might find this table handy:

Full AMP draws in that table should not be considered breaker size. The breaker and wire needs to be sized larger (per the 80% rule and then round up to next size). You would need a 50 amp circuit for a 10 hp, single phase motor.

Assuming you aren't running out of air, I would think in terms of 5 or maybe 7.5 hp. Might be a stretch on the whole building to go to 10 hp but I'm just speculating at this point.

I've fought the 208v thing a few times but either ended up not buying the piece of equipment or changing out motor. Isn't the 208v a product of only pulling two legs off power company 3-phase. Something to to do with Delta or Wye configuration or other electrical voodoo I'll never understand.

I've fought the 208v thing a few times but either ended up not buying the piece of equipment or changing out motor. Isn't the 208v a product of only pulling two legs off power company 3-phase. Something to to do with Delta or Wye configuration or other electrical voodoo I'll never understand.
That was my question. Typically is is 110/220 or 120/240 when you're talking single phase. The 208 is generally single phase off three phase - which may be your case.

the 208 is generally single phase off three phase - which may be your case.
I believe you are correct here that it is.

I think the long-term goal is to update the wiring which opens up a lot more options. I will update the thread if and when this happens. Since the old Compressor is still running this project may be shelved for other things that take priority. We will see....

@Wildcat Walker nice compressor. What model is that?

Thanks for all the help.

Did a bit more reading but still don't understand different 3-phase power systems. I believe the Wye configuration 3ph gets you 208V when only pulling from 2 legs. Wye also uses a neutral wire and I think is standard utility company 3ph. I've got a rotary phase converter and it runs in the Delta configuration putting out 240V across any two legs and has 3 hots and a ground but no neutral.

Do know that I was coached in a previous post about a 208V motor not to try running it on my system.

Ingersoll SS5L5. It has one of the Emerson motors, but a mexico made one not the chinese. Oil looks very clean. The guy I got it from fell out of the rafters in his garage and almost died. He landed on his head and caved his skull in, dang near bled out, heart stopped twice in ambulance. Made a cool decal for it in his honor. I don't think these Ingersoll compressors are the best, but this one was dirt cheap. It should work for awhile. I have an 80 gallon upstairs I run in the garage. This one is just for blowing dust off guns and stuff.

20240107_120440.jpg

Last edited:
Did a bit more reading but still don't understand different 3-phase power systems.

It is definitely a rabbit hole and I don't pretend to understand it - just enough to get myself into trouble. I have Electrical Engineers to consult when I have the need, though.

The guy I got it from fell out of the rafters in his garage and almost died. He landed on his head and caved his skull in, dang near bled out, heart stopped twice in ambulance. Made a cool decal for it in his honor.

I'm glad to hear that he survived it. Over the years I've heard (and known firsthand) a number of stories of crazy falling deaths or near deaths. It reminds me to always take a moment to think things through when up on a ladder or otherwise up in the air. Tree trimming accidents, Christmas light hanging accidents, changing light bulb accidents, etc... Although, years ago the owner of the shop I took my vehicles to died when he started down his basement steps, realized he forgot something, tried to turn around mid-flight, fell the rest of the way down, and broke his neck.

Ingersoll SS5L5. It has one of the Emerson motors, but a mexico made one not the chinese. Oil looks very clean. The guy I got it from fell out of the rafters in his garage and almost died. He landed on his head and caved his skull in, dang near bled out, heart stopped twice in ambulance. Made a cool decal for it in his honor. I don't think these Ingersoll compressors are the best, but this one was dirt cheap. It should work for awhile. I have an 80 gallon upstairs I run in the garage. This one is just for blowing dust off guns and stuff.

View attachment 3527423

Dang, someone else has a compressor in the basement just to blow off guns and stuff. Not saying I do, but I may know someone who does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom