Builds ReBuild thread - RunningDrew (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sheesh, so much for white glove service!
I finally removed and sorted out what seems like a hundred million little and big pieces. The good thing was most of those pieces seem to somehow be part of the running boards, parts I didn't want to reattach anyway. Honestly how is there so many pieces to just a simple running board?

I own a bodyshop in Texas. Feel free to call me tomorrow if you need any advice dealing with the insurance. Like most have already said, the shop the insurance company recommends is typically the last place you wanna bring your rig for repair. Small, independent shops like mine will fight the insco for more funds to do a repair the customer wants.

Cheers,

Rex

Wrecks & Effects- 832.820.8174

1. Front bumper was ripped in accident and removed by shop.
  2. Found a local used black bumper cover - will be researching how to prep and paint it silver. Front suspension apart awating 1.5 inch spacers to go on top.
  3. The adjustable dampening controllers were not easy to get out, broke both of them that had seized bolt in the back, stripped one out. Put back together with epoxy....

Last edited:
GX needs to be aligned before I start putting things back together. Before that happened thought I'd install 1.5 leveling spacers to give the front a bit more clearance. took a wire brush and knocked down some surface rust and primed over it with rustoleum rust converter. don't know how effective it is, but rust wasn't too bad to begin with. (mostly a southern California Lexus for 12 of its 15 years). Those suspension dampening controller modules, as reported by others, are a pain to get out. I broke both mine as can be see by the awesome epoxy job above. (all installed and still work 👍)
Some thoughts:
  1. Someone gave an idea to replace the tiny Allen head bolts, holding the dampening control unit to the bracket, with regular 4mm bolts so you could use a socket - turned out to be easier, but only slightly.
  2. If your spacer is 3/4 inch thick or thinner, you'll need to file/grind down the three studs on the shock a little bit.
  3. The lower front frame horns? definitely don't look like super strong tow/recovery points as demonstrated on a YouTube video here of a Prados from end being ripped off.
  4. I had some surface and some advancing rust under the front frame support under the radiator. I wire brushed that and other locations (lower shock pertch on LCA) and hit them with some rust converter/primer while I was there.
  5. The 3/4 spacer added just over 1.5 inches from floor to upper front fender.
Bracket assembly reinstalled after complete:
Spacer placed.

Painted after rust removal:

Last edited:
I've been busy trying to reassemble trim peices, again was lucky that no metal was dented or scratched.
-polished headlights and reinstalled. (Sylvania makes a good kit, mainly because the last UV coating step)
-put front DS fender flares up back on with some Amazon special 4runner clips - a little short but I made them work appropriately.
-wire brushed and painted crash bar while it was off.

20190210_040637.jpg

20190210_033718.jpg

20190214_225200.jpg

20190211_205946.jpg

20190214_224905.jpg

-I also wire brushed and painted the rear bumper area.
-I wire brushed, primed, and painted the front skid plate red. I was assured this added 15 hps and 5 torques... ¯\(ツ)
-I used epoxy to glue together ripped rear bumper cover, with additional plastic back plates for reinforcement. Will prep that area perhaps and try to fill and paint over later???

Attempting to rehab the torn front bumper, if I can't i will end up using the black replacement I bought and paint it. Wanted to say least experiment with this one first. Trimmed it and am using additionally trimmed plastic from runningboards to hold bottom together.

20190216_020044.jpg

20190216_020130.jpg

20190216_020512.jpg

20190216_020712.jpg

20190216_021040.jpg

Decided to forget old bumper rehab, going to use the black replacement I found. Will paint match eventually....

20190217_221543.jpg

20190217_221758.jpg

20190217_221718.jpg

Going camping with my son and his Cub scout group soon. Tents are a pain to set up....I know, it's not that hard.... But I want to create an easy removable, foldable, bed platform. (Like 100 others, but build quality of some others I've seen are top notch, my plan is super simple) This one gave me some good ideas here.. Potentially a bunk type scenario, with one of us sleeping below..? We are both skinny enough to sleep on top, but the bunk option sounds cool. We'll see. Plan is to keep it under $50.
A quick sketch, the foldable portion will fold over, and rest on, the second row seats that will be folded down:

Last edited:
Waiting for my scheduled level III inspection at the DMV (March 5!) But still doing little things. Added an attic storage net with a free cargo net laying around from my car. Bungees in the net we're too stretchy Soni also threaded paracord around the perimeter and made and X in the middle, then pulled it all tight. Not a super heavy duty, military grade net, but only light/soft things will go up there anyway, and it was FREE!

20190221_213811.jpg

Repurposed my runningboard lights. Zip tied them to the frame for puddle lights or rock lights. I need to find a way to turn them off and on, and leave them on for as long as I want. Stock bulbs aren't super bright, nor have a lot of light spread. Perhaps LED replacements would be brighter...? Tried a blue led 12" strip to test, wasn't that bright, ordered some other COB style lights from eBay, will see how bright thise suckers are next week.

Last edited:
I got some cheap LED waterproof rope lights off amazon. Will wire them in when I get a minute.

I got some cheap LED waterproof rope lights off amazon. Will wire them in when I get a minute.
Yeah, these stock lights are just something, but not something amazing. Your idea sounds good, a controllable switch would be sweet too.

Level III inspection appointment with the DMV tomorrow at 8:00 to get a Rebuilt title. Buttoned the black bumper on, hooked up fogs and some other random stuff that mechanics took off after I went off the road. All it needed was an alignment ¯\(ツ)/¯....

...But turn of events now makes it my car. Sooner than anticipated. Grabbed a photo of the raggamuffin after getting gas and driving on the roads illegally at 1:00 am..

20190305_014642.jpg

Update 1 of 3
I've seen a few posts about sleeping and cargo platforms. I didn't want to go "all in" and lose third row capability if needed, but wanted a cargo sleep platform that would be collapsible and could be assembled and dissassembled on sight....AND without tools. That means wingnuts. Here are some self explanatory (I hope) photos. The idea was to allow it to transform as needed and be versitile, cheap, and light weight. Also:
  1. Be a cargo tray while 3rd row seats are installed and folded up.
  2. Be fully assembled and collapsible without tools
  3. Fit onboard or outboard, collapsed, while third row is in use.
  4. Fold out panels that would extend length and width to allow a sleep platform for at least two people and still have storage below. (Third row seats can be removed on location and stored while sleeping, and then installed again in the daytime)
  5. Bonus: will add a hinged "lid" / access panel near the head on tthe sleep platform, by the barn door, where it will fold up and allow access to storage items below.
So here is the progress tonight, I'd say about 1/2 done or more, just need to make another trip to home depot for an additional peices of plywood
Last photos show the fold in/out side oanels that will add width to the sleeping platform.

Note: Three support beems are just in notches, not screwed in. Tension from top panel being screwed on with wingnuts holds everything together tight.

Update 3 of 3
More pics
Side fold out panels need to be trimmed to the contour of the interior sides, and will be attached with flush hinges.

20190307_233147.jpg

20190307_233332.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom