Builds ReBuild thread - RunningDrew (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(edit 2/4/19)
Changed the thread name, this will be my rebuild thread, adding some small mods here and there, not able to get into a sweet bumper set up yet. Insurance totalled me out due to plastic damage. I got car back, now piecing it together again to get a rebuilt title and get it back on the road. (hopefully only NEEDS an alignment) will update progress as I go.

(edit 5/31/18)
Rebuilt title given in Feb. alignment was the only thing that was needed, been by DD ever since. Added FJ Cruiser wheels and 280/75/17 tires 3/29/19

TLDR:
---What is your advice or experience with collision repair with Geico et al, and Lexus dealership repair vs other mechanic repair? What level of involvement or say can I have with repair? i.e. can I give suggestions on what parts need replaced? (bushings from bent components etc?)----

Long story - hit snow in northern AZ coming home from Christmas. Crappy all season tires, colder conditions than I expected, and a turn I misjudged. Slid off the road and through a robust chain link fence. (Could have been much worse) no injuries, just some bouncing and crashing a fence Hollywood style. Accident punctured the sidewall of the driver's front tire, and drivers side bumper got ripped up (no headlight damage) passenger side running board destroyed, and passenger rear plastic fender and front driver plastic fender ripped. No metal body damage. If it wasn't my wife's DD, I'd just use this as a perfect excuse to go full front/rear bumper, slider and tire upgrades..... :(

One more thing, steering wheel is not center, turned to the right a few inches, I imagine the steering or suspension components on drivers side got knocked out of alignment or worse. After I put spare on the front tires are not parallel and each one opens more in the front wider than in the back (left wheel turned slightly to the left while right turned slightly to the right)

At least one tire is shredded, spare tire is shot too and old. Do all 4 tires need to be replaced? They're a year old, Hankook Dynapro HTs. I judge they are worthless. We acquired GX from mother in law, in less than a year she had to replace a failed tire. Grip is only good on dry asphalt.
If tires need to be replaced can insurance cover me buying some 4runner take-offs from craigslist? :p
Anyway, what's your collision repair experience/advice...?

Last edited:
I would put proper tires on. As for insurance: You get a quote from them to get the repair done and they will typically have a "premier" shop they will refer you to for repair. You DO NOT have to use that shop. It is up to you where you get your truck fixed. Find a shop that isn't afraid to argue with the adjuster and get proper stipends to fix things right. It sounds to me like you bent a tie rod or had rack shift (worst case) or simply knocked it out of alignment (best case).

Unfortunately, my wife’s vehicles have been in the auto body shop twice in the last two years. Both times not her fault. In my experience, like Dan said, insurance companies will give you their estimate and the shop will fight with them to get additional money if they need it.

Both times, the other party’s insurance provider recommended repair shops and both times we went with a trusted local auto body guy (who was not on their list and specialized in her particular brand of vehicle). Both times our guy had to request additional funds because insurance companies low ball everything. Both times, he got his money.

My wife’s car required mechanical repairs in one of the incidences and the auto body shop had the work done by one of their local affiliates. I was NOT happy with the mechanical repairs. If I had to do it all over again, I would have instructed them to send the vehicle to the Mercedes dealer. Results may vary with a Lexus because more independent shops can work on them, but the independent shop that worked on our Merc did more harm than good and we ended up having to offload the vehicle because Mercedes wanted $$$$ to redo what the shop had done.

Unfortunately, my wife’s vehicles have been in the auto body shop twice in the last two years. Both times not her fault. In my experience, like Dan said, insurance companies will give you their estimate and the shop will fight with them to get additional money if they need it.

Both times, the other party’s insurance provider recommended repair shops and both times we went with a trusted local auto body guy (who was not on their list and specialized in her particular brand of vehicle). Both times our guy had to request additional funds because insurance companies low ball everything. Both times, he got his money.

My wife’s car required mechanical repairs in one of the incidences and the auto body shop had the work done by one of their local affiliates. I was NOT happy with the mechanical repairs. If I had to do it all over again, I would have instructed them to send the vehicle to the Mercedes dealer. Results may vary with a Lexus because more independent shops can work on them, but the independent shop that worked on our Merc did more harm than good and we ended up having to offload the vehicle because Mercedes wanted $$$$ to redo what the shop had done.
Bummer....I fear this, sorry for your troubles.
In Phoenix, I called both Lexus dealerships and they both used the same Lexus approved shop in town, so I'm going to go that route, it's a different shop than geico recommended, but I'll free safer. Geico said their work is garanteed for life from workmanship defects, but I feel that is their way to save on costs with their contract agreements perhaps. .?

I would put proper tires on. As for insurance: You get a quote from them to get the repair done and they will typically have a "premier" shop they will refer you to for repair. You DO NOT have to use that shop. It is up to you where you get your truck fixed. Find a shop that isn't afraid to argue with the adjuster and get proper stipends to fix things right. It sounds to me like you bent a tie rod or had rack shift (worst case) or simply knocked it out of alignment (best case).
Thanks for the advice. I'd assume tires are covered when affected? :(. (The tires have a three year warranty from a tire shop out of state). The fear I have is that the Geico appraiser will not see/be aware of all the potential issues. I destoyed a pretty hefty chainlink fence and gate and it all went underneath, hate to have something missed because it was out of site.

That’s smart. I would go through Lexus and whatever body shop they recommend as well. Ironically, in my case, the body shop was recommended by the Mercedes dealer, but they used an independent shop to fix the mechanical damage haha. Go figure.

Anything damaged should be covered. You may have to pay for matching tires for the ones that were not damaged.

As for the estimate. Don’t sweat that. It’s just an initial estimate. If the shop finds something else, they just submit an adjustment and work with the insurance company. You shouldn’t have to do anything once the car is in the shop.

That’s smart. I would go through Lexus and whatever body shop they recommend as well. Ironically, in my case, the body shop was recommended by the Mercedes dealer, but they used an independent shop to fix the mechanical damage haha. Go figure.

Anything damaged should be covered. You may have to pay for matching tires for the ones that were not damaged.

As for the estimate. Don’t sweat that. It’s just an initial estimate. If the shop finds something else, they just submit an adjustment and work with the insurance company. You shouldn’t have to do anything once the car is in the shop.
I'm guessing the shop may frown on adding a leveling spacer of mine up front while they are at it, and while an alignment has to be done anyway....

Can’t hurt to ask. My dealer said they’d install a rear coil conversion and lift if I wanted to pay then exorbitant hourly labor haha.

and there's always Finishing Touch Body Shop in Fountain Hills - he's worked on several vehicles in the Copper State Cruisers club (including on some of the head honcho's; none of mine, yet, thankfully) - fantastic reputation, great work

and I am sure they know how to deal with insurance

Bummer....I fear this, sorry for your troubles.
In Phoenix, I called both Lexus dealerships and they both used the same Lexus approved shop in town, so I'm going to go that route, it's a different shop than geico recommended, but I'll free safer. Geico said their work is garanteed for life from workmanship defects, but I feel that is their way to save on costs with their contract agreements perhaps. .?

Can you share the name of the Lexus approved shop in town ?

Scott's Coach Works, Inc.
4620 N 7th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85013

the place both dealerships send their cars FWIW

Great. Thanks very much for your help.

I just received good/bad news (depends on if you're my wife or me)

Geico totaled the car out. Told me was due to cosmetic repair costs not safety issues. (Steering wheel is knocked to the right, front tires have some negative camber and toe-out, mechanic says it may only need an alignment) Anyway they will let me keep the GX, and then pay us out 15% less. All the cosmetic damage to the GX is lower body panels and running board, front and back bumper - ALL the things I wanted to remove or replace anyway. So now we replace my wife's car and I keep GX with a somewhat blank slate of building opportunities. (And will sale my Acura TL commuter and take a hit with MPGs :cry:)

Anyway just hoping the Alignment fixes the toe-out and neg camber and straightens the steering wheel. I wonder what a new roack replacement would cost...??? Ball joints etc?

I imagine many great rigs owe their origin stories to situations like yours...too expensive to restore to stock, way too good a truck to scrap...my condolences to your wife, and congrats to you! :cheers:

I just received good/bad news (depends on if you're my wife or me)

Geico totaled the car out. Told me was due to cosmetic repair costs not safety issues. (Steering wheel is knocked to the right, front tires have some negative camber and toe-out, mechanic says it may only need an alignment) Anyway they will let me keep the GX, and then pay us out 15% less. All the cosmetic damage to the GX is lower body panels and running board, front and back bumper - ALL the things I wanted to remove or replace anyway. So now we replace my wife's car and I keep GX with a somewhat blank slate of building opportunities. (And will sale my Acura TL commuter and take a hit with MPGs :cry:)

Anyway just hoping the Alignment fixes the toe-out and neg camber and straightens the steering wheel. I wonder what a new roack replacement would cost...??? Ball joints etc?

Will you have to register a “R” title by going this route. I’m in the same boat with another vehicle right now and was just curious. All damage done to ours was cosmetic but they are going to total it.

Will you have to register a “R” title by going this route. I’m in the same boat with another vehicle right now and was just curious. All damage done to ours was cosmetic but they are going to total it.
Since I am taking back from the insurance company I was told yes. Will be salavaged. Here it is after the mechanic had torn it all down....!?!!? Headlights removed ?!? It's all the plastic bits that were damaged (some stuff I wanted to remove anyway eventually) nothing metal was bent, scratched or dented....unless you count the crooked steering when it was knocked out of alignment..
(Update: an alignment fixed steering issue, drives as good as new)
[/GALLERY]

Last edited:
I imagine many great rigs owe their origin stories to situations like yours...too expensive to restore to stock, way too good a truck to scrap...my condolences to your wife, and congrats to you! :cheers:
That there is the silver lining, going to have to fish out the front bumper steal bar, headlights and whatnot to reattach somehow.....geesh, hope there is hardware in there somewhere....

Last edited:
sent you a local recommendation in private message

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom