Rear sill and quarter panel patch cost estimate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bwalker16527

1974 FJ40 SBC V8 350 TH400
Threads
What should I expect to pay for a rear sill and quarter panel patch job at a body shop? I have a clean 1974 FJ40 that needs the rear sill and quarter panel patch job done. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
P1010523.JPG
P1010524.JPG
P1010526.JPG
fj40.jpg

to have someone do the job complete, my guess would be $3000-3500.

To me that's a rear will replacement not a patch. Even more since you have a hard top. The sill not only supports the floor it's supports the fender wells that supports the top and back doors. The top edge of the sill is three layers. Two from the sill with the floor in the middle.This section needs to be done right. Don't know much about the cost of body work but $3,000 to $3,500 doesn't sound out of line.

To me that's a rear will replacement not a patch. Even more since you have a hard top. The sill not only supports the floor it's supports the fender wells that supports the top and back doors. The top edge of the sill is three layers. Two from the sill with the floor in the middle.This section needs to be done right. Don't know much about the cost of body work but $3,000 to $3,500 doesn't sound out of line.

I just had my quarters and sill done and will vouch for $3k labor plus sill, panels and other misc. materials.

I just had my quarters and sill done and will vouch for $3k labor plus sill, panels and other misc. materials.
I intend to install a new sill and patch the quarter panels. That is a big $ amount for me. How difficult to diy?

Not that hard once you start. The hard part is not going down the road of "while I'm there".

Brace the tub in a few different places, cut it out and weld it back. There are a few threads on it. I did mine sometime in the last year. I think.

I've got to replace the rear sill on mine soon. The prefab open channel sills aren't too expensive but I was thinking about using 2 1/2" square tubing so that mud would be kept out of the channel and maybe it would last longer.

I've got to replace the rear sill on mine soon. The prefab open channel sills aren't too expensive but I was thinking about using 2 1/2" square tubing so that mud would be kept out of the channel and maybe it would last longer.
I thought about that also. Rear sill rust seems to be a very common problem.

I bought a rear sil fit my 1971 FJ40 FST. I had a shop cut the old one out and weld in the new one. They also welded in metro for both rear quarter panel and did the body work. Cost me $1800 plus the sil. Looks like new

image.jpeg

I was thinking about using 2 1/2" square tubing so that mud would be kept out of the channel and maybe it would last longer.

the OP rig is 40+ years old. if the replacement lasts half that long you'd be fine.

The State Highway Dept. uses a lot of road salt here. I don't usually run my cruiser during the winter but you know how it is...you've got to go on a run on a nice clear day, even when the roads are white with salt.

I am/was total novice with fab/welder. 10 feet out looks great, but a pro would have done better. Made own sill out of 2x2 beam...corners from ccot. Everything sill wise was rusted to hell and back.
You may likely run into other issues. Don't forget new body mounts :)
image.jpeg

Curious does any vendor make a rear sill that sandwiches the floor in the back like the original sill did?

I know a shop in Salem that will do that job for under a grand. they do GREAT work. cash only. pm me for the details .

You provide the sill.

In '92 I rebuilt the read tub in the driveway out of 1/8" plate and the rear sill out of box steel. 24 years later it's still strong as can be.

Buy a MIG and go for it. Take a coarse, watch Youtube, find a buddy who can weld, and practice, practice, practice.

Back in the day I used a Gas welder... now stick. With some 'Farmers Rod' and a 100 amp stick welder I've even rebuilt a hardtop. A little practice is all it took, and I'd only taken a bit of welding in shop class. I've likely got better than average mechanical aptitude, but it wouldn't be hard, and many of us are here to tell you what you're doing Wrong :D

Where can you buy body mounts without having to buy the whole set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom