Builds Previously known as the 'One Week Resto' now Pathetically keeping it alive... 500k (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

been awhile since posting up here... i have made a few oem soft door window handles :)

OEM is the white one
MVC-012F.JPG
MVC-011F.JPG

had a issue with the cruiser yesterday...

shoveled out my driveway (with snowblower) then went to my inlaws to do them same there and had my wipers stop working along the way.... bummer ... snowstorm + no wipers = not all that fun :rolleyes:

tryed to get them working before leaving their house... as i pulled the switch out it wasnt feeling right... kinda crunchy as i pull it out and push it back in.... still no workie

along the way home after the inlaws i kept the switch on low speed (incert prayers here) and it came on about 1/2 way home right when i was about to pull over and wipe off the windshield :clap:

4 little tabs to get the cover off... Turns out it was the metal slide tab floped over and laying sideways inside

the springs were so caked with 'stuff' there was no spring to them to hold the slide against the contacts

clean it all up... lub up all the necessary areas replace the cover and reinstall

all in all under 15 min

went to put it back tightening the set screw on the knob... the phillips bit came off the driver and landed in the heater :rolleyes:

spent 20 minutes trying to find something to get inside... finally got it ... i dislike time wasters thike that :meh:

then re-shoveled out my driveway :)
photo%202.jpg
photo%201.jpg
bit.jpg

had a issue with the cruiser yesterday...

shoveled out my driveway (with snowblower) then went to my inlaws to do them same there and had my wipers stop working along the way.... bummer ... snowstorm + no wipers = not all that fun :rolleyes:

tryed to get them working before leaving their house... as i pulled the switch out it wasnt feeling right... kinda crunchy as i pull it out and push it back in.... still no workie

along the way home after the inlaws i kept the switch on low speed (incert prayers here) and it came on about 1/2 way home right when i was about to pull over and wipe off the windshield :clap:

4 little tabs to get the cover off... Turns out it was the metal slide tab floped over and laying sideways inside

the springs were so caked with 'stuff' there was no spring to them to hold the slide against the contacts

clean it all up... lub up all the necessary areas replace the cover and reinstall

all in all under 15 min

went to put it back tightening the set screw on the knob... the phillips bit came off the driver and landed in the heater :rolleyes:

spent 20 minutes trying to find something to get inside... finally got it ... i dislike time wasters thike that :meh:

then re-shoveled out my driveway :)

Well done Johnny.

(I like my telescopic magnet probe for retrieving steel items that I regularly drop down odd cavities.)

:beer:

thanks Tom :) ... i need to get me one of those magnet things... my father had one... very useful... he would probably notice it missing LOL

made some spacers for the tire carrier mount... the spare is oversized (255/85r16 ... 33")

now i'll need to find the time to put them on :frown:
MVC-013F.JPG

Almost twenty years ago. I'll bet the number of 40s is down and the largest number being 80 series. The active club from AZ has very few 40 compared ti 80 series. Even those with a 40 will possibly have a 80 series also.

As for you wipers you just need to carry spares for everything that can break. While I don't carry them I probably have anything stored away somewhere. If I have it I never seem to need it. Shortly after picking up my FJ89 (93) I found a ECU at a junk yard for $100. Bought it because SOR showed it $800 used. Years later never needed it have couple more spare ECUs I pickup dirt cheap in bulk parts buy.:bang:

You keep this thread going much longer you be ready for another quick restore.:rolleyes: Me when I can't sleep I go watch the rust on 73. Twenty years and no progress,:hmm: doesn't get any boring than that. You guys back east are so lucky you get to watch your 40 slowly disappear.:hillbilly:

You guys back east are so lucky you get to watch your 40 slowly disappear.:hillbilly:

Slowly? there is nothing slow about rust in the upper north east LOL

I get a front row seat to enjoy the ceremonial dance of the iron oxide :)

I used to keep quite a few spares in the truck.... over the years the supplies have dwindled ... I may need to find a stash of good parts.... I hear there is a guy in AZ that has many great old trucks and parts :D

I am not a very big sticker person.... however ... got these GREAT stickers... and I am totally torn on where to put them.... also feel like I'm putting 'lipstick on a pig' will probably make a few inches look good at least :D
pic 2 spot one

Location 1 speaks to me.

On the winch...

X2.........

well .... i finally did it LOL... winch it is...

Indecision may or may not be your problem Johnny.

this was one part indecision... and four parts kids and one part life... but... at least it's done LOL

photo%203 teq.jpg
photo%204 teq.jpg

My welding jobs ... I went to the school of PO-U it seems... I need to do more welding I guess :)

Doors had cracks in 4 places... The usual places for a DD I guess that has many miles

And made more storage .... Welded a receiver tube on front bumper... Tada more storage lol

Made bracket/bar for license plate ... Had to move from center

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I had been there... A friend that lives here his whole life worked for him on and off for a bit... Bigredfj40 ... Chris

I do not think he had ever been on mud... Or at least not that I had seen... He used to have the cheapest radiators around

nice expedition 40 just like the one in sor catalog that start the cruiser adiction, you are in Albany, do you remember ozone off road , what happen to Larry after he move to nevada, is he on mud ?

Getting ready for my marathon Trans New England trip

Going to wells maine early Saturday and returning Sunday night

4hr each way (probably 5 in my cruiser lol)

Nice to have my odometer working... Had it out the other day... Lubed it up and is working great :)

I get to use my extra storage area now :)

had a great drive up to wells maine... it was 220.1 miles there ... got 15 mpg .... the way back I got 14.4 mpg (heavier on the foot lol )

I saw two cruisers going up there.... one 60 series bluish/gray lifted w/rack and rear stair... great looking truck in MA... and another around NH... 80 series, black, light lift, snorkel... my daughter commented that the 80 was 'passing us' guess she didn't knotice .... 'everybody' passed us LOL

the whole trip I counted 4 cars that I passed :)

the way back saw a landy 88 series III traveling opposite direction in MA.

The cruiser ran very well on the marathon trip to New England and back

Johnny, the dropping things part just gets worse with time, its like having to use two hands to make the screwdriver go in the slot..we may be getting old but the alternative really sucks...
Lee

Johnny, the dropping things part just gets worse with time, its like having to use two hands to make the screwdriver go in the slot..we may be getting old but the alternative really sucks...
Lee

yes this and the hand going numb when working in tight spots is a huge bummer these days.... but... still love working out the kinks :)

BTW It's great to see you back!!!

you had us really worried... god bless to you and your family.... semper fi !!! (never an actual marine... my buddies who are marines (Veterans) dubbed me an honorary marine :) ... but not a real honorary marine like Gary Sinise ) If i had never said this to you before.... thank you for your service !!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom