Power steering with stock steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I know just enough to be dangerous so apologize in advance for my question. I want to install Power steering with FJ-60 donor parts on my FJ-40. From everything I have seen in the FAQ's it looks like I need to use an FJ55 column. My question, has anyone done a PS conversion and kept their stock steering wheel using FJ-60 Parts? Am I looking at a ton of fabrication for this? I have a 1972 FJ-40 SUA set up and want to keep it that way. If someone has done this I would love some photos and advice. For now, I will be running 285 x 75 R16 Mickey Thompson Mud terrains but might go bigger later on, no more than 35" Many thanks in advance.

My recommendation is to contact Georg @orangefj45 and he will set you up with all the correct PS parts for your 40, it will be much cheaper to buy all the parts from one vendor. I'm using a 60 PS pump and bracket and fits perfectly (from Georg), I'm also using a 1984 PS steering gear box, with mounting pedestal purchased from Georg.

Last edited:
I did it and kept the stock steering column. I bought pretty much everything I needed from Cruiser Outfitters - http://cruiseroutfitters.com/powersteering.html - ebay (for the u-joints and steering shaft) and the local hardware store. I used write ups from the tech links. Granted, I went with Scout parts below the column, but everything else is the same. I cut the column with the steering shaft sticking out a ways, welded on the plate (from Cruiser Outfitters) to support the column, inserted the bushing from Cruiser Outfitters, put on a 1" fender washer and locking collar (from the hardware store) to keep the shaft and steering wheel from sliding up. Then I welded on the u-joints I got off e-bay. At that point, I hooked it all up to the scout box. That part was pretty easy. The hard part was fitting the pump while keeping my air cleaner in the stock location. Anyway, you can see kind of see it all in the following picture.

20140116_152842.jpg

:cheers:

i have done several for other people most leave the stock wheel some use the smaller fj60 wheel so thier bellys dont rub

how much harder is it to use the 60 series wheel and adjustable column?

Try reaching out to Stale Ale. He did that conversion on his '71.

Awesome info. I will connect with Downey and the others listed. Many thanks for the help. I will try to post up some photos once I am in prgoress.

Hi all,

Yes, most every Saginaw PS conversion on a 40/45 Series has kept the stock steering wheel.
I'm sure it can be done while using the FJ60/62 PS gearbox.

Regards,

Alan

<snip>
>My question, has anyone done a PS conversion and kept their stock steering wheel using FJ-60 Parts? Am I looking at a ton of fabrication for >this? I have a 1972 FJ-40 SUA set up and want to keep it that way. If someone has done this I would love some photos and advice. For now, >I will be running 285 x 75 R16 Mickey Thompson Mud terrains but might go bigger later on, no more than 35" Many thanks in advance.

@Tools R Us is a great resource and he helped me with my 60 series PS swap in my 1982 FJ40. There is a thread here somewhere that details the swap, especially what is needed to shift the radiator to the PS to fit the box.

As far as keeping the stock steering wheel, tools solution is very involved and while it is a work of art, I'm pretty sure Kurt at cruiseroutfitters sells a bearing the fits into the shaft to solve the support issue. You can also use a bearing that bolts to the firewall, of which there are also threads on here that show how that works.

I personally recommend using DD to DD u-joints to connect your steering shafts. It simplifies the process over trying to find stock parts from FJ55's etc. to match your splines. Just cut the shaft, use a grinder to cut the flats, drill for the set screws and move on. Oh, make sure you use a collapsible mid shaft, not only could it save your life, it also enables you to compress the shaft to fit between the steering wheel shaft and the FJ60 box with both installed.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to dig up my install thread

Here's the bushing and firewall plate that you need. Kurt sells both. @cruiseroutfit

Last edited:
Here's the bushing and firewall plate that you need. Kurt sells both. @cruiseroutfit

Thanks South Boston FJ40. I have done other business with Kurt and they are great to do business with. Do you know if he sells the seal kit for the 60 set up as well? I should probably do that before I put everything together.

I wouldn't recommend using the fj55 steering column. For my fj40, I'm looking to swap my current fj55 column setup back to an fj40 column. Just not happy with the extra length of the fj55 column. Grind a DD on an fj40 column and be happy.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend using the fj55 steering column. I'm looking for an fj40 one so I can swap mine out. Grind a DD on an fj40 column and be happy.

You wanna swap a 40 column for a 40 column, in your 40? I'm confused, why not just use your 40 column?

You wanna swap a 40 column for a 40 column, in your 40? I'm confused, why not just use your 40 column?

That wasn't written very well. I currently have an fj55 column in my 40 and would like to swap back to a stock 40 column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom