Please show me your 35 tires... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

imagejpeg_0(11).jpg

⬆️ Very nice, but would you paint the bezel white.

7744A540-1086-4FB2-8576-615073F16164.jpeg

It did!

IMG_20201129_1042034.jpg
IMG_20201129_1043149.jpg

3 Inch Body lift and 2 inch OME Spring lift
Taken just before torn down to repair rear spring hangers.

Hi, i want to do same on my fj 40.
Put 35" With a SOA
What do you modify to do a SOA? Do you use a kit to soa like ruffstuffspecialties kit? What is the size of the lift? And the drirection was changed? What is the ratio gear?
Thanks

You need to cut off the old brackets from the axles, and weld new ones on the top to hold the springs. The ruffstuff kit looks pretty good. Lift can be anywhere from 4"-6", depending on hangars, springs, shackle length, etc. I would also flip the springs to gain about 3 more inches of wheelbase, which will help with on-road handling at speed. You will probably have to go with a CV driveshaft to keep everything happy. Depending on how much lift you end up with, you may need to cut and turn the front axle to keep the pinion angle happy, and you can also set the axle to have more caster as well. I would highly recommend a rear traction bar to keep axle wrap down if you go SOA. You can also fit 35"s with a 4" lift, some trimming required.

Gear ratio all depends on what engine you have. I run 35"s with an SBC and NV4500 on the factory 4.11s just fine, and the crawl is pretty good because of the deep 6.3:1 first of that tranny. If you still have the stock 2f, you will probably want 4.56s or 4.88s.

You need to cut off the old brackets from the axles, and weld new ones on the top to hold the springs. The ruffstuff kit looks pretty good. Lift can be anywhere from 4"-6", depending on hangars, springs, shackle length, etc. I would also flip the springs to gain about 3 more inches of wheelbase, which will help with on-road handling at speed. You will probably have to go with a CV driveshaft to keep everything happy. Depending on how much lift you end up with, you may need to cut and turn the front axle to keep the pinion angle happy, and you can also set the axle to have more caster as well. I would highly recommend a rear traction bar to keep axle wrap down if you go SOA. You can also fit 35"s with a 4" lift, some trimming required.

Gear ratio all depends on what engine you have. I run 35"s with an SBC and NV4500 on the factory 4.11s just fine, and the crawl is pretty good because of the deep 6.3:1 first of that tranny. If you still have the stock 2f, you will probably want 4.56s or 4.88s.
Thanks a lot for this information, i think in the first, i will run on 35" with 2.5" springs, and 2 " body lift. i think more simple.

Hi, i want to do same on my fj 40.
Put 35" With a SOA
What do you modify to do a SOA? Do you use a kit to soa like ruffstuffspecialties kit? What is the size of the lift? And the drirection was changed? What is the ratio gear?
Thanks
Everything that Dangernoodle said. Mine is not a kit and was built about 30 years ago. I run an H41 and an Orion Transfer case. 4:88's are great for insane crawling capability, horrible gas mileage, and road speeds. 4:11's are a little better for road speed and gas mileage, still great crawling abilities. I now run 3:73's which lowered my high-speed rpm and my Fj40 is a lot more comfortable to drive. Crawling is still awesome with the H41.

Thanks a lot for this information, i think in the first, i will run on 35" with 2.5" springs, and 2 " body lift. i think more simple.
That sounds like a good plan. But I would recommend a 2.5" suspension lift using lifted rear fj60 springs instead of fj40. Will give more flex. 2.5" lift and 2" body lift will be very capable offroad and do well on road.

Check out Dobinsons Springs for updating your suspension. You'll probably need a few parts to lift the suspension. Also, consider some tire options that might be available to you in the 16" and 17" sizes and not cutting the tub using narrower, taller tires.

There are a few posts on Mud about Dobinsons. And, welcome to the madness...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom