Plastic pieces for inner door handle/lock for 1973 FJ40?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The inner driver's door handle on my 1973 FJ40 works fine, but the grey plastic on the handle and the lock turn are both gone. I'm not able to find anywhere that I can purchase just those pieces of plastic......does anyone know if they are available separately? I really hate to buy an entire new door latch assembly just to take off the 2 little pieces of plastic....

If anyone has ORIGINAL ones that are in good usable shape I'd really prefer to go that route.

1674505464998.png

I've seen some lock lever pieces available used from time to time but if you want the handle plastic you're going to have to buy the whole door latch assembly. :(

Thanks for the input. I know I bought a lock knob from somewhere for my 71 but that was probably 20 years ago. I'm surprised no one has started making the handles. It seems like a part that would be popular....especially the driver's door.

Anyone need the door latch but NOT the plastic handle and lock knob? 😁 Looks like I may have one for sale soon.....

@MDH33 I totally get it, and if I was simply trying to make a functional door I would pick up a pair of those puppies and toss both of my original, worn latches. The problem I have is that my 1973 FJ40 is a literal time capsule. I purchased it from the original owner who kept amazing care of it as well as everything part and document. I feel like it deserves the effort to find original parts. I guess that's the curse of finding a vehicle in such amazing original condition.....you have to put in WAY more time finding little pieces like this to keep it correct. Add to that mine is a 1973 and it becomes even more of a challenge, but I think its kinda fun.

@ToyotaMatt Any chance you have an OEM handle and knob? :)

If anyone has an original latch that is worn out but has good plastic I'd buy you a new latch assembly and trade you for the plastic. Just throwing it out there in case someone is looking to buy a whole new latch.

@JohnnyC That's exactly what I'll have to do if I can't find originals. Fingers crossed.....

Isn't the door handle plastic glued/bonded to the metal handle?

The plastic handles are held on by a blind pin. That means there is no way to remove it without drilling a hole on the opposite side hoping it lines up with the pin.

@B y r o n @pjohnson Dang it.....why is this stuff is never easy. Well, I guess I'm looking for the entire driver's handle assembly then.

I know the lock knobs are held on with a screw, because the screw is still present on my latch. I guess the handle will be the tricky part.

Here are a few pics of my current door handles. Obviously the one missing the plastics is the driver's door. I posted the pics of the passenger door to show the pin that is holding it on. @B y r o n you had mentioned a blind pin, but this one goes all the way through. I called the PO who bought it new from Toyota in 73 and ne never changed out that handle...so it is factory stock. Please tell me this isn't another 73-only part. I've browsed ebay and elsewhere and have seen both styles (pin showing and no pin). Anyone have a definitive answer on that?

20230124_194121.jpg

20230124_194145.jpg

20230124_194204.jpg

If you put a mirror behind the handle I don't believe you will see the pin. It is the same piece of plastic just flipped when used on the other side which leaves a smooth surface showing and hidden pin.

@B y r o n I'll check that tonight. So that would mean that the same plastic handle works for the driver's door or passenger door? That would help in my search I think.

I'm still searching for an original plastic handle and lock knob. It appears the driver and passenger side are the same. Does anyone know it the ambulance door latch that LOOKS identical is in fact the same or is it different in some way?

02AAA697-4CA9-4C59-960D-F499019E1EAD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom